Setup WRT54GL as repeater, just a couple questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Bascotie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 21:21    Post subject: Setup WRT54GL as repeater, just a couple questions Reply with quote
Hi guys,

Without setting up WDS, I'm wondering if I can simply for the repeater usage for everyone in the household.

Currently, the repeater is setup with a different SSID so users have to manually connect to the repeater when they get to the zone it's in.

This is inconvenient so I'm wondering if there's a way to set it up like WDS without actually using WDS (had some problems with it last time).

We have a macbooks, windows computers, and phones on the network. Any way we can set those devices to automatically 'roam' to the strongest AP?
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 21:36    Post subject: Wireless AP Reply with quote
If you can run a Ethernet cord from your primary router to the WRT54G you could make it into a AP and it'll bridge the two routers.
Bascotie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 21:57    Post subject: Re: Wireless AP Reply with quote
NoobWRT wrote:
If you can run a Ethernet cord from your primary router to the WRT54G you could make it into a AP and it'll bridge the two routers.

Hmm.. half way down the house I have an ethernet cord coming from the router to a switch which goes out to our vonage device and printer.

Could I patch in the 2nd router into that switch and achieve the same thing?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 22:01    Post subject: Re: Wireless AP Reply with quote
Bascotie wrote:
NoobWRT wrote:

Hmm.. half way down the house I have an ethernet cord coming from the router to a switch which goes out to our vonage device and printer.

yes.. set the router up as a switch & AP (wiki).

Use the same ssid on both your main ap and the new ap but use different channels. The wireless clients should roam seamlessly.

Check the clients though. I have one laptop that has a setting for how it will roam.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 23:16    Post subject: Re: Wireless AP Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Bascotie wrote:
NoobWRT wrote:

yes.. set the router up as a switch & AP (wiki).

Use the same ssid on both your main ap and the new ap but use different channels. The wireless clients should roam seamlessly.

Check the clients though. I have one laptop that has a setting for how it will roam.

Thanks Barry,

I also just realized that I can get rid of that old switch if I use this router as an access point / switch since only 2 devices are connected, so I'll have a port or two free.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
just a tip-if you have communication problems, you might have to keep the remote switch and daisy chain the router you are using as a wired ap to it.
Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
just a tip-if you have communication problems, you might have to keep the remote switch and daisy chain the router you are using as a wired ap to it.

Why?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've noticed since doing this (hooking the main router directly to the repeater and setting it up as AP/Switch), that google voice is having more of a delay.

Not sure this is what caused it, but wanted to ask if I needed to set a particular uplink port somehow?

EDIT: Also, is it necessary to plug the main router into the AP, or can it just go Wifi(main) to Wifi(AP) and repeat signal from there/allow incoming hardline connections? (I tried just unplugging the incoming main connection but it disconnects devices plugged into the AP)
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bascotie wrote:
EDIT: Also, is it necessary to plug the main router into the AP, or can it just go Wifi(main) to Wifi(AP) and repeat signal from there/allow incoming hardline connections?

Isn't that the setup you started with that you asked to change to an AP. In any event, see the wiki: linking rourtrs.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Bascotie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Bascotie wrote:
EDIT: Also, is it necessary to plug the main router into the AP, or can it just go Wifi(main) to Wifi(AP) and repeat signal from there/allow incoming hardline connections?

Isn't that the setup you started with that you asked to change to an AP. In any event, see the wiki: linking rourtrs.

The setup I started with used different SSID's =/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: