PPTP w/ Separate Gateway

jNimble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:48    Post subject: PPTP w/ Separate Gateway Reply with quote
I have been combing the forums here for a long time looking for a hint of the solution to this problem, but have finally decided to post and ask if anyone has any suggestions. My setup is as follows--I have two principle networking devices running the following services.

Linksys E3000 (running stock firmware)
Gateway
Wireless AP
NAT
Firewall and Port forwarding

Netgear WNR3500L (running a v25-sp2 Mega build)
PPTP Server
DHCP Server
DNSMasq (for DNS and DHCP)

The problem: the PPTP server doesn't consistently accept clients. About 1 in every 50 or so attempts will connect and it appears random (though slightly more likely after a reboot). When connecting from windows it hangs on the "Verifying Username and Password" step. When connection from the iphone it hangs on "Starting..." step and gives an error that says "You were disconnected by the communication device. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings."

My LAN works fine and all DNS and gateway settings are properly served by the DHCP server and properly received by the clients. (Interesting note: when it does actually connect through the VPN it gets the correct DNS servers but they are all out of order. Any reason for that?)

I have the proper ports (pptp 1723) forwarded on the linksys to the netgear. I even tried a DMZ pointed at the netgear with the same results.

I am currently using the startup script located here
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/PPTP_Server_Configuration
because it supposedly fixes iPhone connection issues. (I used the gui to save it as a startup script.) No effect (still 1 in 50)

I also ran the command just below the script that is supposed to require encryption because encryption is good. (right?) (still 1 in 50)

I have the WAN port connect to the switch (on the basic setup page) because this device is not a gateway. Additionally I have the 'Server IP' of the pptp server set to the local IP address of the netgear. (though I have tried various suggestions from various wikis where I changed that to 0.0.0.0 and a free unassigned IP--to no effect)

The purpose of this setup is, or at least was at the beginning, that I believe (and correct me if I am wrong) that there is some additional security in a separation of devices. (For example an attack on my VPN will not bring my firewall down.) In addition to that, now, I want to see if it can be done and to understand why it can't if that is the case.

If there is any other information that you need don't hesitate to ask. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Sponsor
jNimble
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 15:36    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote
Thank you for your quick response. (I have been out of town this last week and have tried to connect several times--some worked others did not.) I do not have any experience in setting up a OpenVPN to allow for IPSEC connections, but would that be a better, more reliable, alternative? If so, do you know of any references that would be of assistance in setting it up. I am trying to stick with do everything through the provided GUI but I am not sure if that is possible, especially if I want users to log in using a preshared key and a username and password. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: