Buffalo WZR-D1800H

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Author Message
Magnetron1.1
DD-WRT User


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 269
Location: North America

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
fbvolpb89 wrote:


CFE> flash -noheader : nflash1.trx
Reading :: Done. 25620788 bytes read
Programming...done. 25620788 bytes written
*** command status = 0
CFE> go
check_trx: start nflash1.trx
Invalid boot block on disk
check_trx: exit nflash1.trx
fw is broken
blinking led 2
break key pressed!!
*** command status = -31
CFE>


CFE> flash -noheader : nflash1.trx <== Correct syntax.
Reading :: Done. 25620788 bytes read <== Wrong firmware.
Programming...done. 25620788 bytes written
*** command status = 0
CFE> go
check_trx: start nflash1.trx
Invalid boot block on disk
check_trx: exit nflash1.trx
fw is broken <== You flashed wzrd1800h-191 f/w which is encrypted.
The CFE can't unpack encrypted firmwares.
Use WZR-D1800H_MULTI.trx build 21286.
Don't use WZR-D1800H_MULTI.bin as it is also encrypted.

PuTTY Log of successful flash session:
CFE> flash -noheader : nflash1.trx
Reading :: Done. 18444288 bytes read
Programming...done. 18444288 bytes written
*** command status = 0
CFE> go
check_trx: start nflash1.trx
check_trx: exit nflash1.trx
Loader:raw Filesys:tftp Dev:eth0 File:: Options:(null)
Loading: Failed.
Could not load :: Timeout occured
Loader:raw Filesys:raw Dev:nflash0.os File: Options:(null)
Loading: .. 1312820 bytes read
Entry at 0x80001000
Closing network.
Starting program at 0x80001000
CPU revision is: 00019749 (MIPS 74Kc)
Found an ST compatible serial flash with 8 64KB blocks; total size 0MB
found nvram at 50000
map cfe nvram at 78000
End of Putty Log of successful flash session

- Magnetron1.1
Sponsor
fbvolpb89
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 01 Jun 2013
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Magnetron1.1 wrote:
fbvolpb89 wrote:


CFE> flash -noheader : nflash1.trx
Reading :: Done. 25620788 bytes read
Programming...done. 25620788 bytes written
*** command status = 0
CFE> go
check_trx: start nflash1.trx
Invalid boot block on disk
check_trx: exit nflash1.trx
fw is broken
blinking led 2
break key pressed!!
*** command status = -31
CFE>


CFE> flash -noheader : nflash1.trx <== Correct syntax.
Reading :: Done. 25620788 bytes read <== Wrong firmware.
Programming...done. 25620788 bytes written
*** command status = 0
CFE> go
check_trx: start nflash1.trx
Invalid boot block on disk
check_trx: exit nflash1.trx
fw is broken <== You flashed wzrd1800h-191 f/w which is encrypted.
The CFE can't unpack encrypted firmwares.
Use WZR-D1800H_MULTI.trx build 21286.
Don't use WZR-D1800H_MULTI.bin as it is also encrypted.

PuTTY Log of successful flash session:
CFE> flash -noheader : nflash1.trx
Reading :: Done. 18444288 bytes read
Programming...done. 18444288 bytes written
*** command status = 0
CFE> go
check_trx: start nflash1.trx
check_trx: exit nflash1.trx
Loader:raw Filesys:tftp Dev:eth0 File:: Options:(null)
Loading: Failed.
Could not load :: Timeout occured
Loader:raw Filesys:raw Dev:nflash0.os File: Options:(null)
Loading: .. 1312820 bytes read
Entry at 0x80001000
Closing network.
Starting program at 0x80001000
CPU revision is: 00019749 (MIPS 74Kc)
Found an ST compatible serial flash with 8 64KB blocks; total size 0MB
found nvram at 50000
map cfe nvram at 78000
End of Putty Log of successful flash session

- Magnetron1.1



wow, thank you so much. That of course did the trick. I don't know why I didn't realize that.

THANKS!!
Omar250
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 Mar 2013
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 17:08    Post subject: serial port hookup Reply with quote
How did you hookup to the serial port of the wzr-d100h? Was it difficult to get the case open?
Magnetron1.1
DD-WRT User


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 269
Location: North America

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:19    Post subject: Re: serial port hookup Reply with quote
Omar250 wrote:
How did you hookup to the serial port of the wzr-d100h? Was it difficult to get the case open?


Here are photos of the router disassembly and the serial port pinout:
(Click on the images to make them larger. Optimized for 17" monitors)

Tool List


Removing Rear Legend Strip


Removing Hidden Screws


Removing The Top


Serial Port Pinout


- Magnetron1.1
Omar250
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 14 Mar 2013
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23    Post subject: WZR-D1800H case opening and serial port Reply with quote
Thanks for the pics Magnetron! I got the case open without trashing it too bad. I thought I was going to have to solder a pinout at J4 since I have seen reference to J4 in other posts. It's nice that J9 already has pins. Now I'm just waiting for my USB to TTL serial cable to show up in the mail and I'll flash a *.trx file and hope for the best.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 2430
Location: Third Rock from the Sun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 23:03    Post subject: Re: serial port hookup Reply with quote
Magnetron1.1 wrote:
Omar250 wrote:
How did you hookup to the serial port of the wzr-d100h? Was it difficult to get the case open?


Here are photos of the router disassembly and the serial port pinout:
(Click on the images to make them larger. Optimized for 17" monitors)

- Magnetron1.1
Can I copy this to my wiki?
_________________
Peacock Thread-FAQ -- Firmware Recommendations -- dd-wrt Wiki

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
Magnetron1.1
DD-WRT User


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 269
Location: North America

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43    Post subject: Re: serial port hookup Reply with quote
Dark_Shadow wrote:
Can I copy this to my wiki?

Yes.

- Magnetron1.1
Pawlisko
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 21 May 2013
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody knows what is the difference between fw. 21676 (the newest on the server) and 21286 (the last one mentioned in this thread)?

*** EDIT ***
It is the same thing!!! Still 21286 is the newest one
emunity
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the WZR-D1800H outperform the WRZ-HP-AG300H?

I have been having a nightmare kind of problem for a couple months with the wireless dropping a lot but the BrainSlayer version I am still using is dated back on DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) std (SVN revision 19342).

I could just try the latest version for May/2013. I read that its better to use AES and not tkip+aes.

Maybe this will solve the unknown drop wireless signals. Comcast was out checking the lines and said there was some SR noise which is what they called it in the lines outside and they were going to send trucks to fix.

Still from day one I have been seeing drops. Just a lot worste now.

Will I have better luck with the WZR-D1800H? I have to buy 2 of them because 1 I have to extend the wireless in my QUad level home. I am sure I have thet setup correctly but in case is there a link on how to setup a bridged client?

Thanks
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 3860
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
emunity wrote:
Does the WZR-D1800H outperform the WRZ-HP-AG300H?

I have been having a nightmare kind of problem for a couple months with the wireless dropping a lot but the BrainSlayer version I am still using is dated back on DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/08/12) std (SVN revision 19342).

I could just try the latest version for May/2013. I read that its better to use AES and not tkip+aes.

Maybe this will solve the unknown drop wireless signals. Comcast was out checking the lines and said there was some SR noise which is what they called it in the lines outside and they were going to send trucks to fix.

Still from day one I have been seeing drops. Just a lot worste now.

Will I have better luck with the WZR-D1800H? I have to buy 2 of them because 1 I have to extend the wireless in my QUad level home. I am sure I have thet setup correctly but in case is there a link on how to setup a bridged client?

Thanks


Checkout the reviews on smallnetbuilder:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/113-5-ghz-dn-c

_________________
KONG PB's: http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
KONG Info: http://tips.desipro.de/
BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 6684
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
never use tkip or wep. it disables 802.11n completelly on most devices. on some i allow it. but tkip does decrease performance since it does not allow packet aggregation. use aes only for best performance (or unencrypted)

the comparisation is bogus. i reach 300 mbit net throughput without issues on the d1800

_________________
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

Yummee:
Linux DD-WRT 4.9.13 #17 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 8 00:16:54 CET 2017 armv7l DD-WRT
root@DD-WRT:/sys# nvram get DD_BOARD
Netgear Nighthawk X10
janwil
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 23:00    Post subject: Re: serial port hookup Reply with quote
Magnetron1.1 wrote:
Omar250 wrote:
How did you hookup to the serial port of the wzr-d100h? Was it difficult to get the case open?


Here are photos of the router disassembly and the serial port pinout:
(Click on the images to make them larger. Optimized for 17" monitors)

Tool List


Removing Rear Legend Strip


Removing Hidden Screws


Removing The Top


Serial Port Pinout


- Magnetron1.1


Sorry for my noob question. I bricked my new router also in the first 5 minutes i had it Sad

I disasembled an old mouse, can i connect the pins like this or shall i switch rx and tx and the 3.3VDC shouldn't be connected i think

Tnx for the great work



rs232female.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  501 KB
 Viewed:  15382 Time(s)

rs232female.png


BrainSlayer
Site Admin


Joined: 06 Jun 2006
Posts: 6684
Location: Dresden, Germany

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
no you can't connect them. standard rs232 has 5 volt level. the router has 3.3 volt level. you need a max232 converter or mobile cable. otherwise you burn your router
_________________
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

Yummee:
Linux DD-WRT 4.9.13 #17 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 8 00:16:54 CET 2017 armv7l DD-WRT
root@DD-WRT:/sys# nvram get DD_BOARD
Netgear Nighthawk X10
Code Chief
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Jun 2013
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Magnetron1.1!

I've now fixed my router the hard way (serial diagnostics/opening the case). Interestingly, in the absence of a TTY adapter I found a way to use my Arduino Mega as a TTY to USB serial bridge!

I've borrowed your case opening images if you don't mind?... to write all this up into a blog post:

http://codechief.wordpress.com/2013/06/06/de-bricking-a-buffalo-wifi-router-with-an-arduino/

The key which fixed it for me was to force the download via the "flash" command with a "tftp" source and the "size" option specified.

It seems with the latest firmware (which is different at least in the way that it bricks your router!) there's some kind of bug in the automatic (AOSS button during boot) download option timing out. Besides it went from a working state into this corrupt/reboot loop by just clicking save in the web GUI.

Thanks again, my router works now (at least as an access point) and when configured with Mixed-NA and Mixed-NG (G-N-AC compatibility at the same time as dual N) is extremely fast and has a much stronger signal with DD-WRT.
Magnetron1.1
DD-WRT User


Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 269
Location: North America

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
@All
Permission is granted to anyone wishing to re-post the images.

@Code Chief
You might consider reorganizing the images on your web site so that no one attempts to "pop" the top before removing the two hidden screws.

- Magnetron1.1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 54, 55, 56  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 27 of 56
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum