WRT600N - DDWRT sucessful flash, no internet connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
nitrosport_5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:57    Post subject: WRT600N - DDWRT sucessful flash, no internet connection Reply with quote
Hey all, i am not a complete newb when it comes to DDRT, ive flashed a WRT54GS Successfully along with one of the black linksys B/G routers w/ internal antennas..forget the model number. although i am FAR from an expert i know enough to get me in trouble.. haha

Anyways, i recently flashed my 600N. I have been having issues with the default linksys firmware and am just tired of it. I flashed the WRT600N mega version (build 14929) from the wiki page, and the flash went smooth. Did the hard reset before i flashed via the stock web interface as well as doing a hard reset after letting the router sit for 5 minutes (powered on) after the flash. So the issue i am having is no internet access. Plugging the ethernet cable direct to my computer from the wall,my internet is working great(otherwise i wouldnt be typin this), but when i plug it into the router it doesnt seem to connect to the internet. my WAN IP is 0.0.0.0 so somthing is not right. I have also tried upgrading to Mega Generic dd-wrt.v24_mega_generic.bin 2010-08-09 7,10 MB as well as Standard Generic dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin 2010-08-09 3,58 MB with no results. Could you guys point me to somthing to try? I would like to stay with the MEGA build to have the USB capability but if i need to use a different build it wont hurt my feelings TOO bad lol. Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set the lan IP to 192.168.2.1 and plug the modemcable into the WAN port..not a LAN port.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
nitrosport_5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I set the routers lan IP to 192.168.2.1 (so now i visit 192.168.2.1 to log in, not .1.1) and it did not help. I had the cable from the wall plugged into the WAN port on the router. The LAN port then run to my computer. I say from the wall because we have Fiber optics in town, no modem.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
And still no wan IP? Restart everything starting with the modem if you can. See the peacock on no wan IP
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
nitrosport_5 wrote:
I say from the wall because we have Fiber optics in town, no modem.

So what kind of connection is that, one which assigns you the ip address automatically via DHCP or is it one which has a static ip?

If it is static ip then you should have got that ip address together with gateway and DNS server setting written on paper from your ISP.

Have you set up the WAN connection type in dd-wrt so it matches the type of connection you have?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
And still no wan IP? Restart everything starting with the modem if you can. See the peacock on no wan IP

I restarted, and have restarted quite a bunch to try and solve this with no help. I read the peacock on the no wan IP but none of that seemed to help. My mac matches the sticker on the bottom of my router, and my ISP dies not require me to register a MAC, been using the same router with the linksys firmware with MAC Clone disabled for a good 6 months. I have released and renewed my IP numerous times and that still does not seem to help at all. Ive tried about all i can think of to do. Its just strange how i get no IP, but all the settings seem to be correct that i can see.

LOM wrote:

So what kind of connection is that, one which assigns you the ip address automatically via DHCP or is it one which has a static ip?

If it is static ip then you should have got that ip address together with gateway and DNS server setting written on paper from your ISP.

Have you set up the WAN connection type in dd-wrt so it matches the type of connection you have?

My connection assigns me an IP via DHCP.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
It could be an issue with the ethernet switch.

Reboot the router without the WAN port connected then connect WAN port when the router has booted up.
Still no WAN IP via DHCP?

The issues you had when running stock firmware were they related to the WAN port?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have tried that as well, rebooting without WAN connected, and then connecting it. OR rebooting with the WAN connected.

The issues i had with the stock firmware was that when my internet was under load (downloading a file, watching movies) It would randomly crash and reboot itself. It usually was within a half our of starting the download or movie. I would have to wait for it to boot itself back up, usually within a minute or two. So is the router junk you think?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
nitrosport_5 wrote:

The issues i had with the stock firmware was that when my internet was under load (downloading a file, watching movies) It would randomly crash and reboot itself. It usually was within a half our of starting the download or movie. I would have to wait for it to boot itself back up, usually within a minute or two. So is the router junk you think?

No it is too early to write it off, it is generally a very good router.

I assume the cable you use between wall and router is the same cable that is verified working when connected to your computer.

Have you tried MAC cloning, giving the router the same MAC address as the computer in case your ISP locks the account by MAC address?

You can also test using a LAN port as WAN in Setup/VLAN, disable the current W port and move one of the LAN ports into that line. If this works then you have a WAN port hardware failure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:

No it is too early to write it off, it is generally a very good router.

I assume the cable you use between wall and router is the same cable that is verified working when connected to your computer.

Have you tried MAC cloning, giving the router the same MAC address as the computer in case your ISP locks the account by MAC address?

You can also test using a LAN port as WAN in Setup/VLAN, disable the current W port and move one of the LAN ports into that line. If this works then you have a WAN port hardware failure.

Yes i am using the same cable that works connected to my computer. Just tried the MAC cloning again and it didnt seem to help.

under Setup/VLANs i unchecked the box under W that was on a seprate row than the 4 LAN ports. i then moved the first LAN port down to the row that the W port was in, and then plugged the WAN cable into port 1. I still did not get a WAN ip in the router. If i was working in the pages of the router, and then plugged the cable back in, i would not be able to access the router until i unplugged the cable. That i do not understand.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
nitrosport_5 wrote:
If i was working in the pages of the router, and then plugged the cable back in, i would not be able to access the router until i unplugged the cable. That i do not understand.

Sounds strange..
Some routers, and I think WRT600N is one of them, has the ports numbered backwards so what you think is port 4 may be port 1.
A reboot may also be required after moving the LAN port to WAN.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am completely confused as to why the router and internet is acting the way it is. I had been using a laptop of my sisters that i just put a hard drive in as my testbed, plugged into the internet when the router was not working. I left it over night because i was tired of working on it, and went to try and work on it this afternoon, plugged the internet into my laptop.. nothing. Said it couldnt access the network and gave me a 169.somthing ip. i thought that was strange, rebooted laptop, no fix. plugged my laptop into a LAN port of the router and accessed the setup page. that worked fine. plugged the internet into the WAN port after changing it back, it would freeze the router and i could not access it until i unplugged the WAN (same thing it was doing last night). Plugged the WAN cable back in and rebooted router, i couldnt connect until i disconnected the WAN cable. The Wan still would not work on my laptop, so i booted my sisters laptop back up and the internet worked just fine on it. So i logged onto the router and copied the MAC from my sisters laptop to the router and it seems to be working fine.

Althought i have one issue(so far) that i dont understand. I cannot access the website "www.dd-wrt.com" but if i type the IP of this site in direct it goes to it no problem. I dont have trouble going to any other web sites so far normally, so i dont understand that one. This router seems to act very strange. I am thinking about biting the bullet and replacing it with an ASUS RT-n66U
katinatez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you considered flashing back to original OEM firmware and starting over. With flashing the mini build then the mega build 14929. I also have the WRT600N and performing great with mega build 14929.
nitrosport_5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed to DDwrt once and could not make it work, so i flashed back to the stock firmware and it still would randomly die on me if i used the internet more than just web surfing. so that is when i tried DD-wrt and posted here. Ever since i changed the mac address it has been working great.

Although there is an issue that i cant figure out if it is the router, or somthing around my house. For the last few days, around midnight i have been loosing my wireless signal. it will just completely die BUT i can still access the internet directly connected to the router. ALSO i usually can pickup 6-8 other wifi signals around my house from neighbors scanning with my "Wifi Analyzer" app on my phone and 2-3 others with my computer. When my wifi dies, i cannot get any of those signals. it usually lasts for about 10 minutes and then they come back, but my wireless signal is unusable, its there, but unusable until i reboot my router. It is extremely odd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: