Access Point or Client? Want Client Please Help Me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
georgeberz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 17:41    Post subject: Access Point or Client? Want Client Please Help Me! Reply with quote
I have a Linksys e4200 running as my main router with ddwrt big.

I want to hook up 3 kids computers across the house and was thinking of making one wireless router into a client? to access the linksys e4200 wirelessly then plug the 3 kids computers into 3 of th e4 ports on the back of a TP link router.

So I would like to install ddwrt on a TP link Wr743nd router, done installed...

How do I go about making it into a client, I have installed ddwrt on it fine and I see a place to change from access point to client, but is dosent seem to show me any wireless routers to connect to, Am I on the right track...

Is that possible am I thinking correctly?

Thank you

George
Sponsor
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think you need to go to the wireless security tab and configure it to connect to your main router using the same ssid, channel and security password(as if you were simply connecting another wireless client like a laptop).

what should happen is then you can go to the sysinfo page wireless tab and verify that you are connected to your main router.

your secondary router should get an ip address via dhcp from the main router for it;s wan.

even though the 3 wired pcs will have a different ip address range from the 2nd router all traffic should pass through to the main router and get to the internet.

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
american40
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:18    Post subject: Can you give more detail? thanks Reply with quote
Can you give more detail on setting it up from scratch? thanks
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: