WNDR4500, Found a ddWRT build for it & been working well

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
ZeDestructor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
thedscman wrote:
ZeDestructor wrote:
thedscman wrote:
ZeDestructor wrote:

No dice on restoring either. Here's my serial output during boot: http://pastie.org/4312907

So it looks like you have a serial connection. Did you try to hit <Ctrl-C> after you booted to see if it would drop to the CFE? I haven't tried changing the firmware on my WNDR4500 as I don't want to potentially brick it.

This is for the WNR3500, but I think it should be close to what you need to do.

http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/36609/How-to-Debrick-Your-WNR3500Lv2-Using-Windows-and-a-USB-TTL-Cable/?textpage=2

dC

I'm assuming the comm params are correct for the serial port.

Somehow, my WNDR4500 doesn't respond to any input over serial. Interestingly, it seems to have some corruption over the serial transfer...

They are correct indeed.
Sponsor
pjneder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, here is another vote for bricking. I updated to the latest Netgear factory FW (..1.16 iirc) and had no unique settings on the box. I used the WebGUI to upgrade from Firefox running on OSX. The 4500 never came back. I ran a 30/30/30 on it but nothing. I couldn't find a T5 bit to even get the box open but I doubt it would have the serial header on it anyway. Maybe it does but I don't have time or interest right now to go that route. I will just DOA the box and get a new one.

Basically I would be pretty careful trying out this alpha .chk file unless you are pretty sure you know what you are doing and can afford to brick the box. I've burned plenty of dd-wrt images so I'm not a complete novice but this one got me quick and fatal.

Thanks for the work and I look forward to a solid version as I love dd-wrt over any factory FW!
ZeDestructor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
pjneder wrote:
Well, here is another vote for bricking. I updated to the latest Netgear factory FW (..1.16 iirc) and had no unique settings on the box. I used the WebGUI to upgrade from Firefox running on OSX. The 4500 never came back. I ran a 30/30/30 on it but nothing. I couldn't find a T5 bit to even get the box open but I doubt it would have the serial header on it anyway. Maybe it does but I don't have time or interest right now to go that route. I will just DOA the box and get a new one.

Basically I would be pretty careful trying out this alpha .chk file unless you are pretty sure you know what you are doing and can afford to brick the box. I've burned plenty of dd-wrt images so I'm not a complete novice but this one got me quick and fatal.

Thanks for the work and I look forward to a solid version as I love dd-wrt over any factory FW!

Based on posted pictures, retail units don't have the headers soldered. Secondly, the bolts are Torx T9, although a T8 will also work.
pjneder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Z,

Thanks for the clarification. I knew the head was smaller than my T10, so I guessed at the size. Smile

Hope others have better luck than me. I'll stick with NetGear FW for a while and watch this space for progress on the dd-wrt build.

Thanks!
pjneder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone have an recommendations on a reliable way to flash from the factory FW to this build of DD-WRT? In particular has anyone gone from V1.0.1.18_1.0.36 netgear FW to dd-wrt?

I loath this netgear FW and really want dd-wrt even if it is alpha. Embarassed
Binary.Nation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
ZeDestructor, what are the settings you're using in Putty when your connecting over the serial interface? The output you posted has quite a few random/unrecognized characters which could either mean incorrect serial settings or a severely corrupted firmware...

ZeDestructor wrote:
ZeDestructor wrote:
tathagata wrote:
2.4Ghz is working. So you can test with that.
Meanwhile I am working on 5G. Once it is done, I will release another version. Currently my board is not working, so I have to repair it and get another one to continue my work.

Ugh. I tried flashing the WNDR4500 a couple of days ago... aaaand I bricked it. How do I reflash it? The usual hold reset to start in TFTP restore mode doesn't work.

I also have a serial adapter dongle, so if serial access is needed, that will be fine too, although it will take longer since I don't have a computer with a serial port for a few days.

EDIT: Flashed via WebUI, no particular preparation. Beta test unit (identical to retail but has serial and JTAG ports soldered in internally and different case design.

No dice on restoring either. Here's my serial output during boot: http://pastie.org/4312907

Anderson's Law (Law of Computability)
-Any system or program, however complicated, if looked at in exactly the right way, will become even more complicated.
Binary.Nation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata, I'm going to mess around with your build as there are two features I'm looking to add. But when I do make the changes I was wondering how you would like to coordinate updates to the build? Below is what I'm planning on adding.

The first is sort of a simple one, a bit torrent server. I have a 1 TB USB drive attached and I like to mess with different flavors (distros) of *nix and I keep copies of the ISO's I've downloaded and want to make them available for others to upload off me. However I do plan on including a upload bandwidth cap for this.

As to the second feature there is some background to it. On my wireless I do not have any security setup, it's open, however I do use MAC address filtering. The problem with this is you have to use a device already allowed in the ACL to access the router to add a new device entering it's MAC address manually, or disable MAC filtering, have the new device connect to the wireless, refresh the list of connected devices, add the new device, then re-enable MAC filtering.

I tried to enable the guest network but when the MAC filtering is enabled a device not allowed in the ACL can not connect to the guest network.

So what I'm planning on trying to do is make the MAC filtering ACL rule able to be applied to the normal wireless and the guest wireless individually with additional rules able to be applied to the guest wireless. What I plan to do then is make it so a device not allowed in the ACL can connect to the guest network and be restricted to accessing a customer "welcome" page on the router requiring a unique password, that once entered a page will load with a button to add the MAC address of that device to the ACL of the normal wireless as an allowed device.

Once I have this done I'm going to print a "How To" with instructions and the password how to get access to my wireless for my friends and guests.

-Any system or program, however complicated, if looked at in exactly the right way, will become even more complicated.
ZeDestructor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Binary.Nation wrote:
ZeDestructor, what are the settings you're using in Putty when your connecting over the serial interface? The output you posted has quite a few random/unrecognized characters which could either mean incorrect serial settings or a severely corrupted firmware...

ZeDestructor wrote:
ZeDestructor wrote:
tathagata wrote:
Meanwhile I am working on 5G. Once it is done, I will release another version. Currently my board is not working, so I have to repair it and get another one to continue my work.

Ugh. I tried flashing the WNDR4500 a couple of days ago... aaaand I bricked it. How do I reflash it? The usual hold reset to start in TFTP restore mode doesn't work.

I also have a serial adapter dongle, so if serial access is needed, that will be fine too, although it will take longer since I don't have a computer with a serial port for a few days.

EDIT: Flashed via WebUI, no particular preparation. Beta test unit (identical to retail but has serial and JTAG ports soldered in internally and different case design.

Speed: 115200 baud/s
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1 (default)
Parity: None
Flow Control: None
BasCom
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
just flashed dd-wrt on wndr4500.

can confirm: wl1 poor TX power on 2,4 / 5 GHZ

wl0 as well, if picked 5 ghz radio. 2,4 ghz radio has nice tx power.

can confirm also: jffs not wirking, webgu freezes. reboot help, untill i press "save". jffs shows: 8 mb free ( 128 mb flash ? ) and it is not mounted. clean jffs did not help.

can i now flash a broadcom K26 Build (without factory reset of course ) ground support is built in into dd-wrt for wndr4500.

to tathagata: why is there no CIFS at Admin tab ?
regards

TL-WR841ND @ BS-build 23919 Client Bridge ( Routed )
Binary.Nation
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the long reply, I relooked over your putty output and it looks either like it was a bad flash or a bad build of the firmware. Did you try the debrick technique here http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/36609/How-to-Debrick-Your-WNR3500Lv2-Using-Windows-and-a-USB-TTL-Cable/?textpage=2 ?

ZeDestructor wrote:
Binary.Nation wrote:

ZeDestructor wrote:
ZeDestructor wrote:
tathagata wrote:

Speed: 115200 baud/s
Data bits: 8
Stop bits: 1 (default)
Parity: None
Flow Control: None

ZeDestructor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Binary.Nation wrote:
Sorry for the long reply, I relooked over your putty output and it looks either like it was a bad flash or a bad build of the firmware. Did you try the debrick technique here http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/36609/How-to-Debrick-Your-WNR3500Lv2-Using-Windows-and-a-USB-TTL-Cable/?textpage=2 ?

Been there, done that.
ZeDestructor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ZeDestructor wrote:
Binary.Nation wrote:

Been there, done that.

Didn't work either.

(double-post so this flags people)
trekker25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
HaTaX wrote:
Well, I couldn't stand it, I decided to see if it really was as easy as upload and flash, and bam... It even came back with my IP address I had loaded into it.

I have stock brand new WNDR4500.

What are the steps to get this DDWRT on the machine? The current GUI of Netgear is driving me nuts!
trekker25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
just uploaded the .chk version and work fabulous!
CDMMocelet
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which version of the .chk did you load? The one referenced at the beginning of the thread from myopenrouter.com? Or did you have a more recent beta?

Tim
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: