WNDR4500, Found a ddWRT build for it & been working well

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
trekker25
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
the version mentioned earlier...

but i keep getting disconnects on the router... had the same issue when the Netgear FW was on it...

I'm not sure if this is coming because of the amount the clients that are connecting (about 275-300 Vmware machines)...

What would be the best Gigabit router accepting 500+ clients? (DHCP will be done bij Qnap)
Sponsor
CDMMocelet
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a limit of 4096 simultaneous connections (TCP/UDP). I am not sure if that is Hardware or Software.

With that many Devices, I would recommend a serious Layer 3 Routing Switch.

Just with two active devices behind my router, I have ~115 port going as I write this reply.

Netgear has some Layer 3 routing Switches that are capable of providing what you need. But they will be more expensive than a WNDR4500. It is a good piece of hardware, but definitely optimized for a home or very small office environment.

Elsewhere on this forum, there are sections dedicated to running DD-WRT on x86 hardware. pfSense and a dual core Atom based solution may be a mininum for you.

If money is less of an issue, Cisco 3750_ Switch would be a very valid choice on the high end.

Tim [CDMMoceleT]
tripflex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any updates on the 5ghz band? Thanks!!
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry guys, I haven't had much time to dedicate to this, but I'm pretty sure I can get it compiled and working once I sit down with it.

With the holiday season approaching I'll have more time to tinker... Smile Maybe in the meantime I'll get my build environment settled and get some more background knowledge on it all.

Anyone else made any progress on this at all?
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I got a Fedora 17 VM setup that's dedicated to dd-WRT for the WNDR4500, just a few packages missing and currently it's compiling.

I followed the instructions here: http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/38893/How-to-Compile-DD-WRT-Source-Code-for-NETGEAR-WNDR4500/ and so far it looks good.

After I've got a build that's working I'll look into adding the modifications listed earlier in the thread. Only thing that makes me nervous is that I don't have a serial cable setup for this beast... I can make one easy enough, but really don't want to go through the hassle.

Anyone have a device they can test some builds against for me? Only if you can recover from a bricked state quickly would I want you to do it, otherwise I guess I'll be plunging into it as I can return it under a store warranty and I'm pretty sure I can get together a serial interface together as well. (Have a few new DB9 plugs lying around)
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I've made some progress with the WNDR4500 and I'm going to post my findings here in a few posts. This post is for the gpio mappings I've discovered, I'll edit this as needed if other pins are discovered to have a use.

0 - ?
1 - Front top button green LED
2 - Power green LED
3 - Power orange LED
4 - Front top button (Hand)
5 - Front bottom button ((*))
6 - Reset button on back near power jack
7 - IF YOU POLL IT THE ROUTER STOPS RESPONDING, Reset router.
8 - USB 1 green LED
9 - 2.4Ghz green LED
10 - Disabled / Enabled wl0 (Not sure how, but SSID disappears and reappears)
11 - 5Ghz blue LED
12 - Seems to "assist" gpio 10, enabling it makes the SSID appear more reliably?

39 - ? DISABLING LOSES LAN ACCESS
71 - ? DISABLING LOSES LAN ACCESS

Of note, the LED gpio switches work opposite of what's expected. Disabling the gpio turns on the LED and enabling turns it off.

39 and 71 aren't fully discovered, if they're disabled the SSH connection is lost and you need to restart the router. I tested gpio 0 - 99 using a simple shell script, the only LED I couldn't control was the USB 2 LED. The LEDs for LAN connection 1-4 and WAN seem to be uncontrollable via GPIO and they illuminate when there is an active link on their respective port.
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:

I have been busy testing the D1800H but got some time this weekend to put the wndr4500 on the bench.. Here is some things that are missing:

gpio=7 is robo-reset
gpio=6 is reset/sis gpio

Vlan2 ports= 4 8u
pa2gw1a=0x1DFC
pa2gw1a1=0x1FF9
pa2gw1a2=0x1E58
-----
5ghz:
maxp5gla0=0x60
maxp5gla1=0x60
maxp5gla2=0x60
maxp5gha0=0x72
maxp5gha1=0x72
maxp5gha2=0x72
pa5gw0a0=0xFE6C
pa5gw0a1=0xFE72
pa5gw0a2=0xFE75
pa5glw2a0=0xFFFF
pa5ghw2a0=0xF8C5
pa5ghw2a1=0xF8D6
pa5ghw2a2=0xF8DA

gw:
pa2gw0a0=0xFE56
pa2gw0a1=0xFEB3
pa2gw0a2=0xFE6A

I think that is about it what is missing from sysinit to get the 5ghz working.. I will check more later..

-Fractal

For these changes I am modifying the following two files, dd-wrt/src/router/services/sysinit/sysinit.c & dd-wrt/src/router/services/sysinit/sysinit-broadcom.c

However on this portion of things I want to make sure that I understand it correctly before I start testing the new build...

I am assuming the values given above are to be stored in the NVRAM by the init binary compiled from the above modified sources. If that's the case, then I should be able to test these values on the WNDR4500 as it is by issuing a "nvram set <name>=<value>". I noticed in the sysinit-broadcom.c file that the other netgear models prepend "pci/1/1/" to the nvram names (IE; "pa2gw1a1" becomes "pci/1/1/pa2gw1a1") In some cases there is a "sb/1/" for other parameters.

Few thoughts and questions about the above...

1.) The WNDR4500 has 2 individual radios in it and I think the 5ghz radio might be located at pci/2/1/.

2.) None of the values Fractal mentioned are currently set in the nvram by default aside from "vlan2ports" which is "4 8" (Instead of "4 8u")

3.) I'm unsure of where to use pci/1/1/ vs sb/1/ and I'm unsure if the "5g" parameters should be applied to pci/1/1/ or pci/2/1/

4.) I tried setting ALL of the above values using nvram set. For example, to try to set "maxp5gla0" I tried "pci/1/1/maxp5gla0=0x60", "pci/2/1/maxp5gla0=0x60", "sb/1/maxp5gla0=0x60", and "maxp5gla0=0x60". After setting all of these values from the command line, commiting and rebooting they made little change on the 5Ghz radio performance.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? After I've got some clarification and I know I'm moving in the right direction, I'll post up my source changes to sysinit.c and whatever else needs to be changed.
zk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you should Post your Results Here.[/url]
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
HaTaX wrote:
Fractal wrote:

I have been busy testing the D1800H but got some time this weekend to put the wndr4500 on the bench.. Here is some things that are missing:

gpio=7 is robo-reset
gpio=6 is reset/sis gpio

Vlan2 ports= 4 8u
pa2gw1a=0x1DFC
pa2gw1a1=0x1FF9
pa2gw1a2=0x1E58
-----
5ghz:
maxp5gla0=0x60
maxp5gla1=0x60
maxp5gla2=0x60
maxp5gha0=0x72
maxp5gha1=0x72
maxp5gha2=0x72
pa5gw0a0=0xFE6C
pa5gw0a1=0xFE72
pa5gw0a2=0xFE75
pa5glw2a0=0xFFFF
pa5ghw2a0=0xF8C5
pa5ghw2a1=0xF8D6
pa5ghw2a2=0xF8DA

gw:
pa2gw0a0=0xFE56
pa2gw0a1=0xFEB3
pa2gw0a2=0xFE6A

I think that is about it what is missing from sysinit to get the 5ghz working.. I will check more later..

-Fractal

For these changes I am modifying the following two files, dd-wrt/src/router/services/sysinit/sysinit.c & dd-wrt/src/router/services/sysinit/sysinit-broadcom.c

However on this portion of things I want to make sure that I understand it correctly before I start testing the new build...

I am assuming the values given above are to be stored in the NVRAM by the init binary compiled from the above modified sources. If that's the case, then I should be able to test these values on the WNDR4500 as it is by issuing a "nvram set <name>=<value>". I noticed in the sysinit-broadcom.c file that the other netgear models prepend "pci/1/1/" to the nvram names (IE; "pa2gw1a1" becomes "pci/1/1/pa2gw1a1") In some cases there is a "sb/1/" for other parameters.

Few thoughts and questions about the above...

1.) The WNDR4500 has 2 individual radios in it and I think the 5ghz radio might be located at pci/2/1/.

2.) None of the values Fractal mentioned are currently set in the nvram by default aside from "vlan2ports" which is "4 8" (Instead of "4 8u")

3.) I'm unsure of where to use pci/1/1/ vs sb/1/ and I'm unsure if the "5g" parameters should be applied to pci/1/1/ or pci/2/1/

4.) I tried setting ALL of the above values using nvram set. For example, to try to set "maxp5gla0" I tried "pci/1/1/maxp5gla0=0x60", "pci/2/1/maxp5gla0=0x60", "sb/1/maxp5gla0=0x60", and "maxp5gla0=0x60". After setting all of these values from the command line, commiting and rebooting they made little change on the 5Ghz radio performance.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this? After I've got some clarification and I know I'm moving in the right direction, I'll post up my source changes to sysinit.c and whatever else needs to be changed.

Any update?
Can you please share your changes with us?
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's no update really to give yet, I haven't compiled a new build at this point. I was looking for some feedback on changing the sysinit source files before I try loading a new build onto my WNDR4500.

One of the reasons I was waiting is because the changes Fractal mentioned looked like I could just set the proper values in NVRAM myself. (That appears to be all the sysinit binary is doing anyway) When I set all of those values (minus the gpio configuration) it made zero difference with my 5Ghz performance.

I think it may be best to start with updating the source branch that's being used currently. The source files I downloaded are most likely pretty far behind the repo at this point. When I check the wl ver I get "5.60 RC127.4", and looking at the R6300 thread it looks like I should see something in the 6.x range if it was current.

Anyway, is there anything I'm missing here? I'd be happy to provide a built binary with the changes in there if someone wants to test it. I don't have a serial cable ready to go at all here so if I brick mine it will take me a few to recover from it...

I'm still happy to continue on helping where I can though and am more then willing to work on getting a functioning build.

Looks like the 5Ghz band is a bit of a pain on many routers with ddWRT so I'm not expecting a 1 or 2 line fix. Smile
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another release of DD-WRT firmware for WNDR4500 has been released at http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/43858/DD-WRT-for-WNDR4500v1/
zk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
installed the latest version on my 4500.
Sometimes it reacts slow at commands but this is not so problematic.

I'm just wondering that the tx power of the wl1 is set to 1496. Regarding the hints beside this is absolutly too high.
Also the setting for tx power is always reset to 1496 after reboot of the router.

Can anybody confirm?

Best regards Micha
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
Another release of DD-WRT firmware for WNDR4500 has been released at http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/43858/DD-WRT-for-WNDR4500v1/

That's great! Is this firmware a result of collaboration between you and Fractal? Just curious as I was poking around the N6300 thread a little bit and saw that he might be helping out with this chipset a bit.

Anyway, I loaded it up and I can confirm this is a well working build of dd-wrt for the WNDR4500. I loaded it on top of the previous build you had and while it did reset the config data, everything is working upon configuring manually. LEDs on the front light up properly according to what wireless radio is active, power light turns green upon boot, etc.

I haven't tested the reset button on it out yet, I'll do that later and report back the findings. So far I'm just very happy to see that 5ghz looks like it's finally working correctly.

Thanks tathagata! Did you base this build off a newer rev of dd-wrt base code? Any chance I could get a copy of the source to update my VM with? (And so I can compare the changes you made and turn this into a learning experience for me)
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
zk wrote:
installed the latest version on my 4500.
Sometimes it reacts slow at commands but this is not so problematic.

I'm just wondering that the tx power of the wl1 is set to 1496. Regarding the hints beside this is absolutly too high.
Also the setting for tx power is always reset to 1496 after reboot of the router.

Can anybody confirm?

Best regards Micha

Netgear stock firmware is also using same 1496 value. That is why I put that value.
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
HaTaX wrote:
tathagata wrote:

That's great! Is this firmware a result of collaboration between you and Fractal? Just curious as I was poking around the N6300 thread a little bit and saw that he might be helping out with this chipset a bit.

Anyway, I loaded it up and I can confirm this is a well working build of dd-wrt for the WNDR4500. I loaded it on top of the previous build you had and while it did reset the config data, everything is working upon configuring manually. LEDs on the front light up properly according to what wireless radio is active, power light turns green upon boot, etc.

I haven't tested the reset button on it out yet, I'll do that later and report back the findings. So far I'm just very happy to see that 5ghz looks like it's finally working correctly.

Thanks tathagata! Did you base this build off a newer rev of dd-wrt base code? Any chance I could get a copy of the source to update my VM with? (And so I can compare the changes you made and turn this into a learning experience for me)

I was not being able to compile all latest features in latest SVN code. So I used older stable revision.
This is not a joint effort of me and Fractal.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: