WNDR4500, Found a ddWRT build for it & been working well

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:

I was not being able to compile all latest features in latest SVN code. So I used older stable revision.
This is not a joint effort of me and Fractal.

Well I'm not so worried about it being from the latest SVN revision just so long as the core functionality is there and it's stable.

Just to give the 5Ghz a good run through I connected my UMA enabled BlackBerry to the 5Ghz side and started a phone call. Was on it for about 3 hours with a BT headset and had absolutely no cutouts or drops.

Thanks again as I was getting close to rolling back to the stock firmware for the time being! If you're willing to post a diff of your changes to pastebin or something I'd love to dig through it. And even more kudos to go back to this project on your own, there's a lot of people that will be grateful for your work.

EDIT:
Just found out the front button (One that looks like "(<.>)") operates now to enable and disable the radios. Not sure if the other button does anything at this time.
Sponsor
CDMMocelet
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
tathagata wrote:
Another release of DD-WRT firmware for WNDR4500 has been released at http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/43858/DD-WRT-for-WNDR4500v1/

I was not being able to compile all latest features in latest SVN code. So I used older stable revision.

I was wondering which stable revision your compile is based on? Is there any information you or Fractal need from field units to improve things further?

Thank you for the work getting this together for the community. I have not had the time to dig in.

Tim [CDMMoceleT]
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
CDMMocelet wrote:
tathagata wrote:
tathagata wrote:
Another release of DD-WRT firmware for WNDR4500 has been released at http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/43858/DD-WRT-for-WNDR4500v1/

I was wondering which stable revision your compile is based on? Is there any information you or Fractal need from field units to improve things further?

Thank you for the work getting this together for the community. I have not had the time to dig in.

Tim [CDMMoceleT]

I used 18777 revision.
I would love to add OpenVPN, miniDLNA, VOIP etc into my release. However I am not sure which revision I should use.
What do you mean by "field units"?
ddggttff3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
CDMMocelet wrote:
tathagata wrote:
tathagata wrote:

Tim [CDMMoceleT]

I used 18777 revision.
I would love to add OpenVPN, miniDLNA, VOIP etc into my release. However I am not sure which revision I should use.
What do you mean by "field units"?

I think by field units hes asking if there is any way us with this router can help you make this firmware better. Like any tests you want us to try? also about to go flash this on my unit, im completely sick and tired of the laggy stock firmware.

1x WRT310N - TomatoUSB Dev Test Build 9-22-10
1x RT-N16 - TomatoUSB SVN Build 9-13-10
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would like to know the issues that this firmware has. Please test various features and let me know your feedback.
Also what is list of feature that you all love to see in my next release.
mhaqs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
The build works great albeit being slow. 5GHz works and so does USB. 5GHz is a bit weak but I'm sure some tweaking would make it better.

USB Auto mounting has some issues but nothing that a usb startup script can't fix. Optware installed and worked great as well.

I'd only like some performance improvements with usb mounting issues fixed.

Thanks for the great release tathagata.
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
what is the problem in usb auto mounting?
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
USB auto mounting works fine here, but since this is a mega build there isn't NTFS support in there. So while it did spin up and see my external HDD, it couldn't mount it. Flash drives in FAT32 work just fine though and transfer speed seems to be decent.

I don't have any lag in the UI operations, everything is nice and speedy on my 4500. I did notice a little oddness when changing transmit power on the 2.4Ghz radio; If I go up or down a few mw (69-71mw) then it seems like my devices can no longer connect properly. The 5Ghz side I haven't messed with the settings much but it has been working reliably since installation.

If nothing else, this release has me convinced I don't need to go back to the stock Netgear firmware.
viktorswe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
any plans to bring ipsec Vpn in the future?
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Till now I found OpenVPN is more demanding than any other VPN. So I will include OpenVPN in my next release and then Ipsec VPN.
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have prepared a document on wireless configuration in DD-WRT. Check the link at http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/44086/How-to-Set-Up-the-5-GHz-Wireless-Connection-On-NETGEAR-R6300-Using-DD-WRT/

This is for R6300. But these steps are similar for WNDR4500 also.
ddggttff3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
I would like to know the issues that this firmware has. Please test various features and let me know your feedback.
Also what is list of feature that you all love to see in my next release.

Im having trouble with the 2.4 radio. my router is running the default config, but I have multiple transmit errors. In fact, there are more transmit errors then successful. Also 2.4ghz wireless is low. I only can get about 20Mbps through it before it drops/disconnects me temporarily. I am doing these tests from 15 feet away from my router.

1x WRT310N - TomatoUSB Dev Test Build 9-22-10
1x RT-N16 - TomatoUSB SVN Build 9-13-10
HaTaX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
I have prepared a document on wireless configuration in DD-WRT. Check the link at http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/44086/How-to-Set-Up-the-5-GHz-Wireless-Connection-On-NETGEAR-R6300-Using-DD-WRT/

This is for R6300. But these steps are similar for WNDR4500 also.

Nice document! I've noticed getting the wireless working correctly seems to be very related to a "process" being followed when configuring the wireless settings.

One thing I will throw out there as something you might want to update in your setup document is you show using TKIP for wireless security. It's supported but only in a backwards fashion, 802.11n standard is that AES is to be used but TKIP is mostly still supported. Not a huge deal, but I've had issues with running anything but AES with a few devices myself.
mhaqs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
tathagata wrote:
what is the problem in usb auto mounting?

After I install Optware, usb automounting stopped working. I think it could have something to do with the optware automounting service as well.

Anyhow, tathgata, how about something like the kong-mod for the next release?
tathagata
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is kong-mode?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 9
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: