LAN performance issue/bug- pulling data behind Client Bridge

tc33
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:57    Post subject: LAN performance issue/bug- pulling data behind Client Bridge Reply with quote
Setup:
1. WRT-400N, DD-WRT 17024 (inet gateway)
2. Homebuilt NAS hard wired to #1, Win2K8 R2
3. WRT-400N, DD-WRT 17024 (5ghz/40mhz client bridge, routed to #1)
4. WDTVLive Plus (with WDLXTV 0.5.1), hard wired to #3
5. Laptop (Win7) (floats for testing), hard wire and wireless as needed

Issue:
LAN throughput from devices connected to #1 (gateway) to devices connected to #3 (client bridge) are approximately 10-20% of "correct" values.

Notes:
- I first noticed this when I tried to stream HD video over my network. It normally worked fine, but I just recently moved and a new setup prompted a new network config. This is when I discovered the issue.
- Both routers are within 3 feet of each other for testing. Most recent "good" builds for my router (dec '11) had the same issue, I downgraded in an attempt to solve the problem. Hardware position was swapped (gateway vs client bridge), 30/30/30d, reset multiple times.
- After swapping devices (e.g. NAS on client bridge, WDTVLive on gateway), the issue disappears (???)
- Hard connecting laptop to client bridge results in same issue
- Internet connectivity from devices behind client bridge remains unaffected; in my tests, internet traffic was often faster than LAN traffic between routers, and is comparable to internet throughput directly on gateway.
- Tried a few different routing modes on client bridge router (gateway, router, RIP2 router). No change.
- Traffic from the client bridge router itself was unaffected. Using telnet, wget to NAS FTP was ~4.5 M/s. The WDTVLive (attached to same router) would get ~300K/s. Win7 laptop & SMB copy: ~1M/s. Therefore it only affects LAN clients of this router, not the router itself.
- Since this is a dual-radio router, I set up an AP on the client bridge router. Win7 laptop (wirelessly this time) & SMB copy from NAS: ~8M/s. I then immedately plugged laptop into client bridge via cable: again, back to ~1M/s. Confirms it only impacts hard-wired clients.
- NAS and WDTVLive hard-connected behind the same client bridge: no performance issues.
- Firewall is disabled on client bridge
- Same issue when changing client bridge device from ath1 (5ghz) to ath0 (2.4 ghz) (actually this change worked for about 30 secs before the issue reappeared)

ASCII art of problem:
[client device]===[dd-wrt client bridge] --wireless-- [dd-wrt gateway]==[server device]

I'm reluctant to declare this a bug, since I'm usually the one that didn't RTFM. However, based on all of my testing, it appears as though there is an issue with LAN performance behind a client bridge across a wireless net. Is this a known issue, or is there anything else I can try/missed? TIA
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
wiki: wds
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, I may give it a try. I don't even really want/need the repeater function, just a bridged client.

Still, I think there's an issue here that may need attention, or maybe there's something I can change to get this working as designed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: