Confused Newb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
draconian139
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 23:56    Post subject: Confused Newb Reply with quote
Hello, I'm wanting to flash dd-wrt onto my Cisco Valet Plus M20 wireless router. I am extremely confused as to if this is even possible and if so what I should flash onto it and how I should go about doing so.

specs of the router:
RAM:32 MB
Flash:4 MB
Platform & Frequency:Broadcom BCM4716@300MHz

The wiki has conflicting information.
The supported devices page shows that it can use K26 build 14929 and I see that this is the recommended firmware on the forum. The problem is that the hardware specific page states that it is pending a stable release and therefore I'm unsure if 14929 would work on it or not.

Additionally I'm unsure of which version of 14929 I should download even if it were to be compatible. I do know that its incompatible with the mini version as its a wireless N router and that the wiki states that 4MB Flash should be sufficient for standard firmware. Looking at the list leads me to believe that the only standard file that might work is the std_nokaid_small file as the other std files are larger than 4MB. Is this correct and should I then go with this or something else entirely?

There's also no device specific installation information that I can find so any details on what I should expect would be welcome. I did read the wiki installation page so I know the generic information like the need to do a 30-30-30 hard reset but after that point it refers me to the device specific information which isn't helpful. Another thing I've seen is a user that was asking for help with another router stated that he was choosing between two different firmware versions but both of the ones he mentioned had a .trx file extension and my impression was that you used a .bin to flash the router, should I be looking for a .trx file for build 14929 instead?

One final question, my end goal for this router is to use it as a bridge for my directv satelite receiver to improve the wireless signal that the receiver gets and any latency it experiences(currently its using a wireless adapter instead). I know that both a repeater bridge and client bridge setup should both work for this purpose and am unconcerned with actually extending my wireless network's range as currently the wireless adapter is the only thing with signal issues which is why I suspect that its the culprit. Would the repeater bridge or the client bridge setup be best for latency/signal with regards to the receiver or would there be no difference?

Apologies for this wall of text and thank you for enduring it. Any help that anyone can provide would be appreciated.
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have that router, but in the absence of a wiki article on this router, you will probably have to do a forum search for relevant install info for that router.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn15508/dd-wrt.v24-15508_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m20.bin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: