Noob here....looking to expand my range

stevedeezy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 21:27    Post subject: Noob here....looking to expand my range Reply with quote
Hello,

I am brand new and don't know where to begin. I am wondering what would be the best way to improve the range of my home wifi network. I currently have a Netgear WNDR3400v1 located in the center of my house on the 2nd floor but lose connection at the far ends of my home which is roughly 4200sq ft. My initial thoughts are to get 2 additional routers setup as repeaters. My wife & I are always on our phones or tablets, so mobility throughout the home is key. My questions are:

1: Do I need the repeaters or should I just get a different router with better range. I'd like to have a solid connection throughout the house, in the backyard and in the garage.

2: If I use 2 repeaters do I have to use the same router that I have now? If not, what should I look for when choosing one?

3. Do I need a wired connection to the location of the repeaters?

Thank you in advance for the help and advice!

I also apologize ahead of time if this is not a proper way to ask such a question.
Sponsor
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
i did this(what s strange is that this is the 3rd time i;ve linked to this article)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

used a wired connection to link the routers but works well and was easy to setup-1 SSID but different channels per router.

I wouldn;t bother looking for a router with better range. no one router will cover you entire house well enough anyway.

there is probably a way to do a wireless repeater if you don;t want to run a physical line but i never got it working and i think it halved the signal wifi strength/bandwidth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: