Flashing e3000 to dd-wrt *remotely* - crazy & impossible

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
davidi345
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 16:04    Post subject: Flashing e3000 to dd-wrt *remotely* - crazy & impossible Reply with quote
My dad is 1,000 miles away. Has a Linksys/Cisco e3000 with stock firmware still in the box for eventual use at a second location they live at for part of the year.

I want to put dd-wrt on the e3000 (as I have on mine and a few other friends) but I have a feeling I'm stuck not being able to help him 'remotely' and will have to have him send me the router or visit him or at likely high risk - talk him through the process (me being blind to what's happening for the most critical parts.)

At his current location he has good internet access via a good working Linksys router and internet connection and I PC I remote into to help do various things for him.

He can and will do a fair amount of guided work via phone on computer hardware / software things if his patience is good. But sometimes this turns out to be: "Dad - just stick it in a box and mail it to me".

I can easily remote into his Windows machine and help him with many Windows and even acess / configure his in-use already configured router. But upgrading/flashing sounds pretty stupid/crazy/impossible/risky. Right?

Does anyone have any ideas / tips to share about *maybe* being able to help him do this remotely?

Especially great would be if I could do as much of the work (but have him do the 30-30-30 reset when needed) ... but I'm guessing I probably am stuck with trying to lead him blind or "send it to me" since a key part of the process of flashing is to disconnect the computer being used for the process, set manual IP, etc. ... which means no remote connection for me to be involved during the process (and a lot more guidance, risk and testing of patience!)

I expect I'm stuck with "sent it to me" but perhaps someone has a few tips/ideas that may make this a bit more do-able than I'm thinking right now.

Thanks!

- David
Sponsor
h-cross
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Find a laptop. Connect WIRELESSLY to the internet router. Assume that the router will give you a ip like 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0 and thats not good, because the DHCP server of the E3000 will give you the same network address. Find a way to change the network address of the E3000, to e.g. 192.168.0.X/255.255.255.0. By doing that, you will be able to connect via a lan cable to E3000 (set a static IP, e.g. 192.168.0.10) and thus you will have two different network addresses (there will be no conflicts). Install TeamViever on that laptop (to gain remote access), and then try to upgrade the E3000 following the correct upgrade steps.

Note that after the successful upgrade of the E3000, the network address of the DHCP will be changed back to 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0

To be able to make any changes to the router, you will have to find a way to change again the netword address to e.g. 192.168.0.x/255.255.255.0

madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
edited to say that since my advice seems to be redundant, i removed it.

Last edited by madman999 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 18:19; edited 1 time in total
h-cross
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
madman999 wrote:
for best results, it;s better to configure the router wired to the router you want to upgrade.

h-cross wrote:
...you will be able to connect via a lan cable to E3000...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: