Bricked WNDR3300 TFTP Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
bmas05
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 20:18    Post subject: Bricked WNDR3300 TFTP Help Reply with quote
I had my WNDR3300 up and running for quite some time without issue. Lighting struck and flashed power to all my devices and now the WNDR3300 is in a weird state.

The dome LEDs are all on, which was sign of trouble as DD-WRT turns them off. The front lights looked normal except both WiFi radios weren't lit. Power light is green, if I plug in a wired connection the associated port lights up, but does not assign proper IP address (I get 169 blah blah blah).

I can't get into the management website via 192.168.1.1 or routerlogin.net.

So I tried to ping and it gets nothing back. I setup "ping -t -w 2 192.168.1.1" and power cycle. I get mostly timeouts, but do get the following during power up:

Request timed out.
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=100
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=100
Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=100
Request timed out.

This is consistent when I power up, so I figured I could flash it via tftp.

So I setup the computer IP to 192.168.1.7 (and even a few others have been tried with the following procedure, just in case).

I then load the tftp command as "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT dd-wrt.v24_std-wndr3300.chk dd-wrt.v24_std-wndr3300.chk".

I've tried starting the tftp command from many different point:
Right when I plug the power in to the router
Right after I plug the power in to the router
Once I see the first ping response
Just before the ping response
In the middle of plugging it in and when I see the first ping response
After 3 ping reponses.

I never get a connection, I consistently get:

C:\Users\Brett\Documents\DD-WRT>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT dd-wrt.v24_std-wndr3300.
chk dd-wrt.v24_std-wndr3300.chk
Timeout occurred
Connect request failed

I can't seem to get it to connect. Am I doing something wrong? Not sure what else to try to unbrick the router.

I did read some about the power cords being an issue, but i'm using the stock cord. Could the lightning surge have damaged it? Why do the front lights seemingly "work" and respond normally, but I can't get an IP?

Really confused and looking for some assistance!
Sponsor
Exec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you already tried to use the Netgear Firmware Recovery Utility?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3300#Netgear_Firmware_Recovery_Utility

I also bricked my WNDR3300 some time ago but I could fix it using tftpd32.exe
bmas05
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Exec wrote:
Have you already tried to use the Netgear Firmware Recovery Utility?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3300#Netgear_Firmware_Recovery_Utility

I also bricked my WNDR3300 some time ago but I could fix it using tftpd32.exe

Yes, I tried running this utility once. It gave a timeout error or something, can't remember. But indicated it wasn't looking for firmware, something to that affect.
Exec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Basically it should go into TFTP mode if it fails to load the image. In your case it looks like the DD-wrt is still loading and get stuck at some later point.

The bootloader of the WNDR3300 will wait some time before it loads the image. That's why you can ping it shortly after power on.
bmas05
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Exec wrote:
Basically it should go into TFTP mode if it fails to load the image. In your case it looks like the DD-wrt is still loading and get stuck at some later point.

The bootloader of the WNDR3300 will wait some time before it loads the image. That's why you can ping it shortly after power on.

So what can I do about it? I've tired 30/30/30 reset, all sorts of times to load the tftp. Any way to correct it?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
lightning is a bitch.. you router is toast.. all done. Get a new one..

Don't mean to be harsh.. I fix routers.. 100% of routers that fail after a lightning storm, can not be recovered.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
bmas05 wrote:
Exec wrote:

So what can I do about it? I've tired 30/30/30 reset, all sorts of times to load the tftp. Any way to correct it?

I made some tests with my working one. I can also ping it on 192.168.1.1 for a short time after power up but tftp transfer fails.

You will need a serial ttl cable to fix it. During power up you can interrupt the boot process while pressing ctrl + c. You will get into the cfe shell where you can manually start the tftpd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: