DDWRT Backup Internet Connection with a Twist

sohologics
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:57    Post subject: DDWRT Backup Internet Connection with a Twist Reply with quote
I am in need of some help with DD-WRT.

I have two homes. Each has their own Internet connection. I am using Engenius outdoor wireless devices to connect the home networks together and file and printer sharing is working like a champ.

House1 - Time Warner Cable Modem
      Router1 (192.168.1.1) - DHCP Server for combined network

Engenius1 (192.168.1.10)
        Computers (192.168.1.100-150)

House2 - AT&T Uverse Fiber Connection
      Router2 (192.168.1.2)
        Engenius2 (192.168.1.11)
        Computers (192.168.1.100-150)

Notes:

* Homes are separated by about a mile so running cables is not possible.
    * Need primary router in House1 to redirect default route to router2 if internet goes down with Time Warner.
    * Prefer if it automatically detects Time Warner going down and does the redirection automatically.
    * Best option would be if each router could provide DHCP for each house, still accomplish file sharing between computers and use its own internet service and only use the other home's service if its default service goes down.
    * Routers are BUFFALO AirStation AC 1750 with latest version of DD-WRT (configured last week).
    * Engenius outdoor wireless has latest firmware. Model number ENH202.

Router1 with its Cable Modem connection is the fastest but goes down a few times a month. Both routers are running DD-WRT (latest version). I am wondering if I can setup router1 to check the internet connection periodically and if it detects that it is down, it would change its default route to router2 (the internal IP of router2) so that all computers can use the fiber connection until the cable connection is back up and running.

It would be best if the router did this automatically and DHCP would not need to be relied upon but if that is the only option, i guess i can have computers renew IPs every 30 minutes or something.

All computers must be able to perform file and printer sharing. A load balancing or standby internet approach is needed but I cannot really modify the current setup due to the distance of the homes and internet connections.

Do you need any additional info? Any suggestions? Can this be done? Thanks in advance for your assistance![/list]
Sponsor
kevinrr3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi sohologics,

Without a wired or wireless connection between the two houses this would be impossible.
You cannot do this over a VPN because if the internet connection in house 1 or 2 goes down the VPN would also go down.
So your only option would be to run a cable(or some sort of wireless connection) between the two houses.

And then if you have a connection between the two homes you would also need to make one of the ip ranges different if you want dhcp/dns/routes for both homes to be seperate.

I hope you can find a solution for your challenge Smile

Kr,
Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: