Suggestions: Older router with USB and better DDWRT support

frankywi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 23:49    Post subject: Suggestions: Older router with USB and better DDWRT support Reply with quote
Hello!

I want to upgrade my WRT54G V6. I would love to get it cheap over ebay etc. and hope you guys can give me some good ideas what model to look for.

My requirements:
- Faster and more flash then WRT54G / 2MB
- USB 2.0 port (supported)
- Do not need wireless N

Again, a discontinued model is fine (maybe a more popular one, to find one easier on Ebay).

Thank you!
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is only 2 i can think of that could fit your reqs.

Asus WL-500gP v2 - fairly expensive, has 2 usb 2.0 ports and has 8meg flash with 32meg board RAM

Asus WL-520gU - not as expensive (most times around $30-40 US) but doesn't meet all your reqs either, it doesn't have usb 2.0 support with dd-wrt - it does have 1 usb port but only has usb 1.0 support with dd-wrt, and only has 4meg flash with 16meg RAM

Edit: note the routers i listed are G routers, should you want better, than as Dougz listed, you can always go with an N router fairly cheaper than a G router - and reference this thread as well..

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=87868

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.

Last edited by buddee on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:06; edited 1 time in total
Dougz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do a search for the Belkin F7D3301 or F7D7301. They are the same product. There is a thread with Best DIY in the title and a lot of info about the router.
They are give-away priced on eBay @ $25 delivered.
It is hard to beat with 2 USB 2.0 ports, gigabit switch and a fairly fast Broadcom chipset, 2.4 G N radios.

I've been trying using one for a week or two, with Belkin FW and it is OK for my needs. I haven't put DD-WRT on it yet.
Check this thread
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80408&highlight=diy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your tips!

The Buffalo definitely seems like a bargain. I also found the DLink dir-632 available for just $34. Unfortunately I do not really need the 8 Lan ports so it is hard to decide. The DLink has less powerful hardware (32 MB Ram instead of 64, no gigabit lan, just 400 MHz) but has external antennas that can be changed. This really seems the only advantage. Is this very important or has the Buffalo a decent range?

Any suggestions on that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: