Trying to setup a vpn server

MantiCore1620
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:51    Post subject: Trying to setup a vpn server Reply with quote
The main reason I wanted to try dd-wrt was because I read that it is very versatile with the code that is allowed to be run on your router. I really need to setup a vpn server any flavor will be fine as long as I can have an android device connect to me from the internet and the device will appear as local to me.

Android already supports PPTP very easily as a client so I was trying to make that work. I have read in multiple places now that v24 does have PPTP built in. The how to that comes up with a google search seems to indicate that it is able to be configured as server or client. But the instructions use the GUI to make config changes. My GUI doesn't have the options that everyone else seems to have. Including this guy http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=156301.

I did find the pptp_enable parameter and I set it to 1. But the GUI did not change. Not even sure if there are settings that change the GUI like that. But I am very new to dd-wrt and I don't know a whole lot about setting up as vpn server so I didn't want to mess with the other settings until I knew what was up.

So is there something I need to do to change the GUI? Am I stuck with the CLI? Another weird thing about my setup is that I don't even have a ls command in my shell. Not sure why that would be. But if I do need to accomplish this in the command line then I am not sure where to start.

I used:
dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin build 14929 (as suggested by the above thread

I tried:
Several other builds just in case. For the most part the GUI looked the same on all. No PPTP settings to be found.

I have:
Linksys WRT54GSV7

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
read:
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read your suggested links. and found no information pertinent to this issue. Unless you are somehow suggesting that I am not using the latest build. if that is the case I will gladly try it if someone can tell me where it is. there seems to be alot of overlap in the repositories. i have been trying to follow the peacock thread and have limited myself to the brainslayer releases. if this is the reference that you are attempting to make then yes i have tried the latest build. thank you for your prompt reply.
MantiCore1620
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Btw... what is your beef with broadcom users? And if you don't help them then who does?
MantiCore1620
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Btw... what is your beef with broadcom users? And if you don't help them then who does?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: