OpenVPN Assistance - Some folks were looking for help.

ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 23:34    Post subject: OpenVPN Assistance - Some folks were looking for help. Reply with quote
Folks,

This is for the group of folks that were having a hard time configuring the OpenVPN SERVER on a dd-wrt equipped router. For some reason, I couldnt find the original post. I have a feeling, it has been deleted.

Anyway to clarify in the very beginning.

To configure the router as a OpenVPN SERVER, you need to enable the OpenVPN Server on the Services|VPN page in the 'OpenVPN server' Section. You do NOT need to monkey with the data fields in the 'OpenVPN Client' section.

You can configure the OpenVPN server using the CLI scripts or the GUI.

Honestly, I would use the GUI and here is what I would recommend.

1. Follow the instructions on the following site to generate all the required certificates. I would recommend printing this article.
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3892906/Setting-Up-OpenVPN-on-a-DD-WRT-Router-Part-1.htm

2. Follow the instructions on the following site to use the DD-WRT GUI to configure the router and add the cert information. I would recommend printing this article.
http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/3896031/Setting-Up-OpenVPN-on-a-DD-WRT-Router-Part-2.htm

Pay attention to the section "Configure the OpenVPN Server" in the writeup. It will tell you what cert,key to add in the different fields in the GUI.

In the "Configure the Startup and Firewall" section, there is a text formatting error. The line "Paste the following and click Save Firewall" is an instruction and should not be treated as a startup command.

Depending on your specific requirements, you might have to review the server and client configuration files. If you need help with those, PM me, I will try to help.

The instructions on the Serverwatch website were put together based on the 13064 build. Please accommodate for the some of the sections/data elements that have since changed.

1 * EA6500 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * EA6500v2 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * WRT610N - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
===================================
Sponsor
afoard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
any chance you still would have these documents handy so I could follow them? i think they would be extremey useful for me
ndewan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the content is no longer available at the site.

Also, in recent builds, the UI has changed significantly, making some of the directions obsolete.

Personally, I am still on 15962 and am not moving o any of the newer builds.

Sorry, wish I could be of more help.

1 * EA6500 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * EA6500v2 - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
1 * WRT610N - 29193 Mega (Repeater Bridge)
===================================
afoard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I appreciate your response.

I also happen to be on 15962 on an e3000. Maybe you could just answer a couple of quick questions that i'm just not totally sure of.

Where do i create, and after done that where do I place the server and client config files.

And do I need to have the certificates and keys in a certain folder for my config files to reference? I see all the example config files, like this and am wondering what the /tmp/openvpn/*** is. (sorry stupid question)

dev tun0
proto udp
keepalive 10 120
dh /tmp/openvpn/dh.pem
ca /tmp/openvpn/ca.crt
cert /tmp/openvpn/cert.pem
key /tmp/openvpn/key.pem

If you can help, thanks!
Sorry i'm new to forums so I don't know the etiquette really that is used, but I have searched everywhere and havn't been able to answer my questions!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: