RT-N12.B1 Boot looping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
KSoze
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 0:00    Post subject: RT-N12.B1 Boot looping Reply with quote
I have installed DD-WRT on a number of devices without issue. I needed a new router and wanted something reasonably powerful and cheap.

Well I bought an RT-12N.B1. I have followed the flashing instructions. I tried recovery method and 30/30/30. After I flash, the router just boot loops constantly rebooting. I can flash back to stock and it works fine.

I tried clearing settings etc but I did notice, after I reflashed back to stock and all of my prior settings were there and no restore was required.

This tells me that maybe the fact that the NVRAM was not cleared was causing it to boot loop.

I have tried everything I can think of to reset the NVRAM and it is always still there persistently bugging the crap out of me.

So two questions:

1) Am I correct in assuming the uncleared NVRAM is most likely causing the boot loop?

2) Anyone know the magical secret to clearing the NVRAM on this thing for flashing?

Reset to default won't work because it is technically not clearing the NVRAM just changing the settings.

I am trying to do this because I bought a VPN tunnel and want to VPN my residence at the router level. Unfortunately, the ASUS stock firmware does not seem to support this.

Any help would be appreciated. I tried searching for the answers and there just were too many results to be useful. I read through two pages of threads and gave up.
Sponsor
Spitty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Today I had 2 RT-N12 B1s brick in the exact same way, using the same dd-wrt files I've flashed dozens of these up with.

Something has to have changed with these RT-N12 routers that is causing it, the only difference I can think of is a newer version of the ASUS firmware that comes preinstalled on it (2.1.1.1.38).

I can get to the broadcom CFE mini webserver page, but because the router will constantly reboot itself every 10 seconds I cannot recover the firmware in any way.
bskchaos
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I spend hours with the same issue, at the end the Asus firmware recovery tool saved me.
glbolla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
If any one is still having issues getting the new Asus RT-N12 version B1 routers flashed because of the continuously reboot. You need to use this firmware. ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17990/dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx

You can upload the firmware right from the ASUS orignal firmware interface. This is what fixed it for me.
Hope this helps!
SiNeD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
glbolla wrote:
If any one is still having issues getting the new Asus RT-N12 version B1 routers flashed because of the continuously reboot. You need to use this firmware. ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17990/dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12B1.trx

Here the procedure for brik router who is rebooting :

1. In order to prevent DHCP from interupting the connection, you will need to manually set the address of your PC's Network LAN card to a STATIC IP in the same subnet of the router, such as 192.168.1.10 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 . Also make sure all other adapters,such as wireless, which might be seen as "clients" by the router are disabled. Only the main LAN connection [IP: 192.168.1.10] should be able to communicate with the router.

2. Unplug the power connector from the back of the router.

3. While pushing & holding the recessed Restore button on the back of the router, plug the power connector back in. The Restore button is NOT the raised red WPS button.

4. When the power LED slowly blinks on and off, release the Restore button. The router is now in "RESCUE MODE".

5. Open the router IP of 192.168.1.1. The page will open to a built in browser (HTTP) recovery console.

6. Click on the link below Reboot to reset/flash the Vram.

7. Click the Browse button to browse to your DD-WRT firmware file location.

8. Click the Upload button.
The router will upload the file and show this message.
"Receive file size=3440689
Upload completed. System is going to reboot.
Please wait a few moments."

You will see the LAN1 light turn off and notice the "Network Cable Unplugged" windows popup message in task bar. Wait for the light to turn back on and the PC to reconnect to router.

9. Click the "Continue" link shown on the page.

Clicking "Continue" forces the router to perform another reboot. When it comes back up you will be at the DD-WRT admin login screen.

10. This is fixed. Wink Have fun ! Razz
Goldwing1973
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
SiNeD wrote:

"Receive file size=3440689
Upload completed. System is going to reboot.
Please wait a few moments."

10. This is fixed. Wink Have fun ! Razz

uhmm, the file size show here was 3440990
But, 10.. yes, it works again. *pffffff*

But the image i wanted to use was the OpenVPN is there a way to get openvpn working on the RT-N12B1?
JRhodes88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just as a tip to add to this thread...

I was having this same issue and followed the above instructions which did not work. I was left scratching my head for hours until I realized...

MAKE SURE TO BE PLUGGED INTO LAN PORT #1 Embarassed
larryhans
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
The issue with this package is that it does not include OpenVPN. How can we get OpenVPN running FULL in this router?
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
larryhans wrote:
The issue with this package is that it does not include OpenVPN. How can we get OpenVPN running FULL in this router?

You have to run a openvpn-small distro... This router has a 4mb flash.

-Fractal
larryhans
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
larryhans wrote:

-Fractal

Hello Fractal,

I think the dd-wrt database is worng, and this routes has 8MB in flash memory...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_routers

RT-N12 B1 MSQ-RTN12B Broadcom BCM5357 @300 MHz 32 8

Am I worng?

If not, I think the firmware can be updated to include the OpenVPN. I installed the small version, but I'm getting in the log:

ERROR: Linux route add command failed: external program exited with error status: 255
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165669

Thank you for your help.
larryhans
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can confirm that this model included 8MB in flash memory as I saw it accesing by SSH.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
larryhans wrote:
Fractal wrote:
larryhans wrote:

-Fractal

Hello Fractal,

I think the dd-wrt database is worng, and this routes has 8MB in flash memory...

Am I worng?

If not, I think the firmware can be updated to include the OpenVPN. I installed the small version, but I'm getting in the log:

ERROR: Linux route add command failed: external program exited with error status: 255

Thank you for your help.

I have a N12, and it only has 4mb flash, I will check if its a B1 model. Also what build are you using openvpn?

-Fractal
larryhans
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
larryhans wrote:
Fractal wrote:
larryhans wrote:

-Fractal

Hello Fractal,

Am I worng?

Thank you for your help.

I have a N12, and it only has 4mb flash, I will check if its a B1 model. Also what build are you using openvpn?

-Fractal

DD-WRT (build 18024)
dd-wrt.v24-18024_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin

Because the main firmware does not include openvpn, but it looks like all the software is limited to 4MB, but mine has 8MB. It is the B1 version.
dtrn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there,

I am trying to get rflow on this RT-N12 and on the mini build we used for the initial flash, there's no rflow on it so I need to use at least the standard version.

So, if I've done my research correctly, we started by the mini build for the initial flash, but it is possible to flash a standard version since there's at least 4mb on this router. Am I right?

If so, can someone lead me to the correct generic standard build, I am not sure which one to choose and if it is the correct one (v24, sp1, pre-sp2, stable, generic, etc..) and then, this one (which must be a .bin since it is already flashed) can be simply uploaded via the dd-wrt web interface.

I know you guys must deal with a lot of newbies, but I tried my best to research until I reached this point where I have to choose a build and I can't figure out which one is the good one.

Thanks in advance!
orvlnet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 16:22    Post subject: Poor N wireless throughput :?: Reply with quote
I've setup two of these routers using this firmware in the last month and both of them have had very poor wireless throughput (<1mbps) with N wireless enabled. As soon as I disable N I get perfect throughput with G.

Looking for some help here. I love this router but I'll have to switch to something else if this keeps happening. Is anyone else having this problem? Is seems like it must be a dd-wrt bug since it's happened to me twice in a row.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: