how to open an E1500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Mangix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 22:19    Post subject: how to open an E1500 Reply with quote
I have an E1500 in need of serial(hopefully not JTAG) recovery and I can't figure out how to open this design. I see a picture here( http://www.techinfodepot.info/images/thumb/6/66/Linksys_E1500_d.png/799px-Linksys_E1500_d.png ) but I'm having issues just at the first step.

Anyone know how this is done?

edit: i found out there are screws... I got it mostly open just struggling with the bottom clips and the other screw like thing on the bottom.

edit2: i got it off. i feel like an idiot writing this...

edit3: anyone know the pinouts on this router? or instructions on how to recover it?
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can see the clips in the pic (top cover).. I assume you have removed the screws Wink

Start at the back by the switch ports.. I poke a putty knife in to push the clip(s) attached to the top inward as I pry. Once the back is apart, then slowly & carefully, separate each side. Then the front just "tilts" off.

Once you get it apart, use a nail file or similar to round off the square edges of the clips so next time, it comes right apart.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for that last tip. gonna make sure to file those clips.

in any case, all I need now is the pinout for the router. does anyone have it?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
pinout..

when looking at the pic you linked..

Switch ports are at the bottom.. To the left side of the pcb, the pic shows a 5 pin header installed, near the edge, close to the flash chip. That is serial.

Pinout is the same as any other linksys..

vcc, tx, rx, n/c, gnd

Pin one is vcc. If it is not marked as pin one, it will have a square solder pad around the hole.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
getting frustrated with this. I can get into the serial console but things go haywire from there. I followed your steps in the serial recovery wiki but it's not working. Here's a log of what happens when i tftp the stock linksys firmware onto it.
Code:
CFE> flash -ctheader : flash1.trx
CMD: [flash -ctheader : flash1.trx]
Reading :: _tftpd_open(): retries=0/3
_tftpd_open(): retries=1/3
_tftpd_open(): retries=2/3
Done. 6984704 bytes read, fname=flash1.trx
CODE Pattern is correct! (E150)
Invalid header length.  This is not a TRX image.
The file transferred is not a valid firmware image.
*** command status = -1

It doesn't like dd-wrt firmware(I tried mini-nv64k as of this writing) unless you use the -nocheck parameter on the flash utility. and still it does not work.

One other thing, the HTTP management mode is also active and the story is similar. It will take the stock Linksys firmware and after 80 seconds, nothing happens. dd-wrt firmware just stops uploading. Last thing to try would be a trailed dd-wrt build but I'm not confident...
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangix wrote:

It doesn't like dd-wrt firmware(I tried mini-nv64k as of this writing) unless you use the -nocheck parameter on the flash utility. and still it does not work.

Don't mean to 'butt in' - butt this unit doesn't use nv64k builds, it uses nv60k ones, and you need to use the trailed build (the one with the unit name for initial flashing - it has the header info that will allow the CFE to accept it) to flash with, not one with nv60k or nv64k in the name.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
recover using the stock linksys firmware. Then, using the linksys gui, flash dd-wrt again.

don't forget to erase nvram

nvram erase [enter]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
bad news, i hard bricked it. now when i connect it to power, the lights don't come on. the WAN light does but barely.

here's what i did. I downloaded the trailed build and flashed it using the same procedure I was using(nvram erase, flash -ctheader : flash1.trx, nvram erase, go). It gladly accepted the firmware and then got to a point where it said preparing to reboot or something like that. I waited 5 minutes, nothing. So I power cycled it and BAM.

Code:
recover using the stock linksys firmware. Then, using the linksys gui, flash dd-wrt again.

don't forget to erase nvram

nvram erase [enter]
I tried to flash the stock linksys firmware but it wasn't accepting it.

Code:
Don't mean to 'butt in' - butt this unit doesn't use nv64k builds, it uses nv60k ones
I could've sworn I saw x/64 in the status page in dd-wrt. That's really interesting.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
next time.. don't use "go" at the cfe prompt. Either use "reboot", or power cycle the router.

do you have any serial output? as long as you do, it should be of no consequence.

please.. use the stock linksys firmware for the unit. Once up and running stock, then install dd-wrt.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangix wrote:
I tried to flash the stock linksys firmware but it wasn't accepting it.

then use -noheader instead of -ctheader

This $hit is fun.. right? Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
no console output that I can see.

last time I did serial recovery, there was no output either but that was on a netgear wndr3300 but as long as I ran the commands(nvram erase, tftpd) everything worked. then again, the VCC wire was left unconnected that time.

so this router's probably toast and in need of JTAG. unfortunately since I don't have the tools, I don't feel like spending the time and money trying to bring it back using JTAG. As the wiki says, the only thing i'll be doing is "wave to it occasionally".
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangix wrote:
no console output that I can see.

last time I did serial recovery, there was no output either but that was on a netgear wndr3300 but as long as I ran the commands(nvram erase, tftpd) everything worked. then again, the VCC wire was left unconnected that time.

so this router's probably toast and in need of JTAG. unfortunately since I don't have the tools, I don't feel like spending the time and money trying to bring it back using JTAG. As the wiki says, the only thing i'll be doing is "wave to it occasionally".

are you in the US? If so, send it to me. I have no hands on with this router so I will be happy to fix it for you so I can get a look at one.

Navigation

Jump to: