MAC address Access Restrictions by time don't work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
LoneRanger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 17:53    Post subject: MAC address Access Restrictions by time don't work Reply with quote
I am looking for some help and advice with setting Access Restrictions. I have a network with a WRT54G V2 running dd-wrt V23 SP2 Standard in Client Bridged mode. This connects wirelessly to my ADSL router (a Netgear DG834GT).
My son has an Xbox attached to the WRT54G, and it is access to the Internet from this Xbox (and "Xbox Live") that I want to restrict by MAC address, on a time basis. NTP Client has been enabled on the WRT54G, so I know that it has a time reference (the time zone is correct as well).
I have tried various combinations in the "Access Restrictions" tab (Policies allowing access for the Xbox MAC address only between certain times with an overruling Deny policy, as well as Policies denying access to the Xbox MAC address during specified times). None of these have worked; he seems to have access at all times. I have tried dd-wrt Mini and now dd-wrt Standard (both V23 SP2) to no avail. In desparation, I finally set up a single policy denying the Xbox MAC address access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.....and he STILL has access. I am obviously doing something wrong, but can't work out what it is. Can some kind soul show me the error of my ways?
I have attached a simple topology diagram of how the network is set up at present.

Topology.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Topology.pdf
 Filesize:  84.97 KB
 Downloaded:  780 Time(s)

Sponsor
LoneRanger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:09    Post subject: In a Client Bridged environment, do Access Restrictions work Reply with quote
So, maybe I can ask a direct question; In a Client Bridged environment, does dd-wrt (running on the bridged client WRT54G) permit me to restrict access based on MAC address and time of day?
Reading many of the topics and replies in these forums would suggest that it SHOULD work, but I can't seem to find a way of making it all happen.
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
This works on lan-wan, client bridge runs on lan-lan. You can't use access restrictions.

If you use client mode, the it will work.
LoneRanger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 15:11    Post subject: Access Restrictions in Client Bridged mode Reply with quote
Thank you, Eko....that would explain my problem!!

I will be changing from "Client Bridge" mode to "Client" mode when I get a spare moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: