Unable to access Asus RT-56U GUI after upgrde to DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
frza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 21:49    Post subject: Unable to access Asus RT-56U GUI after upgrde to DD-WRT Reply with quote
Hello folks. Weekend Warrior here. Trying to figure out what i need to do to get my router working again. Here is a little backstory. I had my ASUS RT-56U running the stock firmware and, after hearing all the great things DD-WRT can do, decided to take the plunge and upgrade.

Downloaded the DD-WRT Firmware and started the upgrade. Everything seemed to go well. Once the install was complete I was prompted to manually reset the router. So I unplugged and plugged back in the router.

Router started up well. Router name and password were the same as before upgrading so my phone and computer automatically connected. Internet is working. YAY. Tried to access the DD-WRT GUI by entering the IP 192.168.1.1 in chrome and nothing. It wont connect. Webpage is not available.

I also notice only the 5gz channel is showing up in my available networks.

Since then i have been googling and searching everywhere for a fix to this, but nothing has helped.

This was all via Wifi, but google told me to connect the router and computer with an ethernet cable and try to access the GUI that way... No DICE. Same result.

***This may be a totally separate issue, but I continued to attempt to google fix this issue and may have created a new and separate issue.

Read that going to the command line and typing "ipconfig/release" enter, then "ipconfig/renew" enter may fix this issue. (i am grasping for straws at this point). This made the issue worse unfortunately. Now the computer has lost its internet connection. Troubleshooter is saying the problem is the IP address is not correct.

Before i mess this up any more, I have come here for some help.

I'm assuming it there was some error while upgrading to DD-WRT. I would gladly go back to the basic ASUS Firmware if i could. Just need to access the GUI. Help Please.

sincerely,
lost weekend warrior

router: ASUS RT-56U
Windows 8 computer.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try holding in the reset button for 30 seconds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK so here i go with an update.

I tried the 30 second reset, nothing.

Kept googling for other possibilities... found a firmware restoration tool on ASUS' website. Unable to use the restoration tool because the router is not in "rescue mode". I had figured it would be in "rescue mode" as the firmware upgrade didnt seem to have worked properly.

I am running out of options and patience at this point, but I google on. Decided to try the 30-30-30 reset again as a last chance effort. Low and behold it worked.... sort of. It didnt fix the firmware, but it put the Router in "RESCUE MODE".

Now i can use the ASUS Firmware Restoration tool. I load up the stock ASUS firmware and cross my fingers. The tool seems to have worked. I load up a Chrome... type in the IP Address and boom! DD-WRT IS INSTALLED!! Yay. Dont know how this happened, but i wasnt complaining. I wanted DD-WRT in the first place.

Now comes my next issue... Sad

Last edited by frza on Sun Jul 19, 2015 15:56; edited 1 time in total
frza
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
sorry had to split the reply in 2 as I was getting an error that the message was too long.

cont.
DD-WRT first makes you change the admin login and password. No trouble here. (by the way im loving all the options that come with dd-wrt)

The first thing i want to setup is my VPN. I use PIA (private internet access). After going to their website it seems this should be simple. They have step by step guides for setting up the VPN with DD-WRT on their website.

From what I'v read, using OPENVPN is safer than PPTP so thats my choice on how to use the VPN. I follow PIA's directions to the "T", but something is wrong.

I am on the SERVICES<VPN page. Ive followed all the directions exactly (i triple checked) but something is missing from the page. The directions say to check the box to enable "User Pass Authentication". This is nowhere on the page. Because I am unable to "enable" this function, the box to enter my PIA username and password is not available.

So thats where i have been stuck. DD-WRT is not giving me the option to enter my VPN username and password. So i cant use my VPN.

Here is the DD-WRT firmware i am using:

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/22/14)

Hopefully someone can help me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: