Setting up a Client Free DDNS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tazzman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:02    Post subject: Setting up a Client Free DDNS Reply with quote
Here is what I'm looking for;

I want to be able to inform opendns of my DDNS provider host name, and let opendns automatically add new ip-addresses to my network. I need dns filtering without any software program to provide new network ip-addresses to opendns, except for firmware in a router or gateway. I can't have a dedicated computer, running 24 hours a day just to do this one thing.

Even if there is a laps of 1 to 10 minutes, when an occasional ip address change occurs, this would only impact filtering. So occasionally, the filter might not work, but would work the vast majority of time. And individuals attempting to access sites otherwise filtered would never know when such a time period was.

Alternatively, opendns could provide the ddns service more directly. Also they could push for updating the design of ddns services in firmware, so that every time there is a "on demand" request for a new ip address, since a router or gateway has set idle for too long, that the ddns function updates the new ip address immediately without waiting for the normal update frequency.

I need the opendns filtering to work regardless of who's computer is accessing the internet through the one router/gateway, without a dedicated extra computer whos sole purpose is to update ip address (to add network) with opendns. Such an extra computer is extremely expensive overhead (the extra computer being an ongoing variable expense daily) for what should be as simple as a ping from a router when there is a new "on demand" connection to isp or a DDNS update (a router being a sunk expense).
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: