Busybox commands not responding correctly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
blueman2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 0:05    Post subject: Busybox commands not responding correctly Reply with quote
I have a Belkin F7D7302 that I successfully loaded dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega.bin onto using methods described here. When I telnet into the router, all seems OK. But when I issue busybox commands like Ping, I get no useful response. Just returns like I entered nothing. I can type in "ping bla bla" (exactly like that) and it will not give any error, just returns. Oddly, mount command will show mounts. But if I type in "mount bla bla" (again, exactly that), it just gives a line return (no mention of mounts). I also tried using "busybox ping bla bla" and get the same non-response.

Any idea what is going on? I tried several different firmwares, have done complete reset (30/30/30), but always get the same issues with responding to busybox commands. I recall having a similar issue with another router of mine about a year ago, but cannot recall how I resolved it.
Sponsor
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
To resolve your issue, you would likely need to install Optware. A majority (if not all) of the commands used in DD-WRT have been stripped down to remove the "extra" fluff. This is done to allow most of the binaries to actually fit into the firmware.

To get around the 'problem', is to install Optware packages on some storage attached to the router. Those packages replace the firmware binaries with more functional versions.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
blueman2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oddly, this is exactly what I was trying to do. But the wget command gives me nada. Just a line return. No actions at all. That is when I tried the Ping command, and again get nothing.

So I am kind of stuck. I guess I need to have optware installed in order to get optware installed. Sort of like giving a person a DVD on how to install his DVD player. Wink
blueman2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I solved this. Crashfly, you were exactly right. Apparently the error responses had been taken out of some of the busybox commands. I was able to install OWTRW2 (optware) on my router and now all is peachy.

The reason wget was doing nothing is that my internet connection was not working. It should have been responding with some sort of error message, but since error messages were removed from this build, I got nothing. Once I got my internet connection working, wget was able to install optware just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: