HOWTO: Set TP-Link TL-WR841N V7 as Wireless Repeater Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
macnando
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 16:55    Post subject: Re: HOWTO: Set TP-Link TL-WR841N as Wireless Repeater Bridg Reply with quote
Hi tlhIngan!

Thank you so much for your help!

Finally I solved my problem! It's a long story that started with my Linksys WRT54GL falling from the wall and breaking apart. Then I bought TP-Link 841ND thinking it would repeat. As I told you, I follow your tutorial but it didn't help even with the picture you kindly sent me.
So I bought me a second hand Linksys WRT54G and, following the link below by the letter, I could configure it like the broken one. Then I saw at the bottom of this tutorial that there's a part for Atheros routers and, guess what, TP-Link is also working as a bridge! Check it out!

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Thnks again!
Sponsor
LAPBB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have two 1083 bridged in wifi, and now I have an 841 that I must connect to router #1.
How can I connect the 841?

Thank you in advance.

Luis.
monkeyhouse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 16:54    Post subject: DHCP Reply with quote
I was just curious if it would still work if you didn't use DHCP on either router? I have a domain controller that runs DHCP for me. Does anyone know if I could still use this repeater setup and have my DC run DHCP?
aryayush
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for this tutorial, but this is the later step. Can someone please point out the tutorial for installing DD-WRT itself on this router? I am using a Mac.
msrice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 19:39    Post subject: Re: HOWTO: Set TP-Link TL-WR841N V7 as Wireless Repeater Bri Reply with quote
Great post! It would have saved me a great deal of pain had I seen this earlier.
I followed a post from cabronsaim on April 29,2012 then one from ludoo on Sept 22, 2012 who did essentially the same that had two DHCPs. That worked very well but you had essentially two separate networks. I changed modes from client to client bridge and put the secondary router on the same subnet as the primary one. I have not checked it out but I think the client bridge mode disables the secondary DHCP automatically.
You are right to disregard the wiki instructions. It is just too confusing, although I used it as a guide to modify some settings. The WAN connection type should be the same as the primary, which is automatic in my case, contrary to the wiki instruction. I do not know otherwise.
You or somebody should think about editing the wiki. I still see so many posts here on the same problem.
WhizzWr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 0:00    Post subject: Virtual interfaces max rate? Reply with quote
Anyone able to make the virtual interfaces to broadcast at 300mbps rate? mine only broadcast at 144.44mhz although I selected 40Mhz. The main inetrfaces that communicate to the main router/AP works fine in 300mbps though.
TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.4 (RB mode) -> v24-sp2 Std build 22102 (last used build)
^ Reverted to Stock 3.13.33 Build 130506 Rel.48660n
conhangcui
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 13:08    Post subject: thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Reply with quote
an extremely valuable article Laughing Laughing
I have followed and successfully, thank you Razz Razz Razz
usmankrm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:03    Post subject: TPLink WR841N showing limited connection as Client Reply with quote
Dear tlhIngan

i want to configure my TP link WR841N router with linksys WRT54GS, such that WRT54GS is connected to the ADSL Modem and i want my TP link WR841N router to work wirelessly with my Linksys router as a client so i can extend the wireless range of my internet.

I followed your instructions step by step, however my Client router i.e TpLink WR841N shows "Limited Connection" and no internet connectivity.

Kindly help me to extend my wirelss network. my nework info and requirements are as under:

1) ADSL modem Connected with phone line providing internet.

2) Linksys WRT54GS connected via WAN to the LAN of ADSL and running on PoPPE. Note that my Linksys is working on original cisco firmware v7.5 (and i wish to continue it on same firmware and not concert it to DDWRT since there is no original firmware of Linksys v.7 avaliable anymore on offical site)

3) Linksys router to provide wifi internet connection to the 1st floor of my house.

4) now the tricky / problem part, i want my TPlink router WR841N (placed at ground floor of the house) to wirelessly connect to the Linksys router (placed upstairs) and the Tplink router should provide wifi/wireless connection to the laptops/mobiles on the ground floor. TPlink is on DDWRT firmware build 25.5.2013 (here is its link) http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

5) i want no wire connection between the two routers, of even the laptops/mobiles connected at any of the router.

i even disabled the firewall on my client To router, also when my laptops swith from one router to another an IP address conflict occurs. kindly help me making the house wireless..
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
usmankrm follow this http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge start down where it says Qualcomm Atheros just change second line don't use Auto (DHCP and enter Gateway from WRT54GS
Default GW Mode: Auto (DHCP), manually enter IP of the host if no internet on auto

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:06    Post subject: Manual IP worked Reply with quote
Thankyou sooooo muchh danymarc....... changing the GW from Auto to manually placing the IP of main router (Linksys) worked.

now my 2nd router (TpLink, WR841N) is wirelessly connected to the main router (Linksys WRT4GS) and both routers wirelessly connect to laptops and cell phone, extending the wireless range of my house....

Thanks a MILLION danymarc and tlhIngan ......

i have one more question, can i change the names of both the routers to be something different from each other??? so that i can see which router my laptop is connected to, without having to check the IP address from my laptop??
danymarc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes using dif. SSID is the advice way
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
What DD-WRT version should I use for WR841Nv8? r17201 is not available for it.

Thank you.
heiler
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is awful slow.. never got more than 5-7mbit on it
tlhIngan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
My hosting expired a while back. It's live again, pictures for this have been re-uploaded. Smile
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:06    Post subject: TP-Link TL-WR841nd v8 Reply with quote
I am currently using build 30342 on my 841nd v8 (same as 841n v8, d is just for detachable antennas).

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2016/

Use the webupgrade file if you are already on dd-wrt. If you are coming from a very old build then you may want to do a hard reset, 30-30-30.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: