Repeater: Several SSIDs, can I specifyone Mac to connect to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Boxhamster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:16    Post subject: Repeater: Several SSIDs, can I specifyone Mac to connect to? Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm on a TP-LINK TL-WR841N v11 router and I've got everything set up in client mode to repeat the signal from BTWifi-with-FON. The problem is that there is several BTWifi-with-FON routers nearby, all with lowish signal, and the signal drops all the time. Wondered if setting it to just one router it would get better if that is possible? Can I have the router repeat the signal of one specifc MAC?
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:13    Post subject: WDS Reply with quote
Yes, but you need to use WDS to do what you want to do. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
SaschaITM
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ian5142, I think you didn't really read the post, or didn't understand OP's question/problem. What is WDS supposed to achieve in this type of situation? How would you set up WDS in the first place if you don't have any control over the ISP routers?

Boxhamster: so, to clear that up - you have internet access via multiple WiFi access points provided by your ISP, all with the same SSID but varying signal strength. You've set up DD-WRT in Client Mode to connect to the SSID used by the ISP AP's, but you're losing connecting to that AP. I guess you have setup an AP with an own subnet and SSID for your own WiFi on your DD-WRT router. Correct so far?

If it is: I don't think DD-WRT has functionality to roam to the SSID with the strongest signal, like "normal" WiFi devices would do. At first glance, there doesn't seem to be a way of connecting by BSSID either, at least not via the DD-WRT GUI. I think it should be possible to connect by BSSID instead of by SSID by using startup scripts in DD-WRT, possibly by manipulating /tmp/*_wpa_supplicant.conf. I can't say much more than that, sorry. Maybe someone with a more intimate knowledge of how DD-WRT's Client Mode works can chime in.

The only other idea I have is to use directional antennas pointed at the ISP AP with the strongest signal.

Last edited by SaschaITM on Sat Jun 17, 2017 21:11; edited 2 times in total
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287383&sid=a15486ff30b6cfc737353078e3e2c8c9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: