SD/MMC mod WRT54GS v3 need a little help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
techo91
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:34    Post subject: SD/MMC mod WRT54GS v3 need a little help Reply with quote
Hello dd-wrt community.
I need some help with adding a SD card to a WRT54GS v.3 router. I've successfully made the mode to WRT54GL v1.1 and WRT54GS v.2 routers. They both work flawlessly. I bought a new one (WRT54GS v3 according to the sticker, but the s/n is SGN009050712, which corresponds to v1.0). Anyway it came with DD-WRT 14896 and 64Mb of ram.
I tested the GPIO pins before doing any soldering. I found and tested GPIO 2,3,4,7.
In the bord there is no SES button, amber or white leds, but still the board is prepared and the pads are there.

I tested with this command and the software could switch them all:

while true; do gpio enable 5; sleep 1; gpio disable 5; sleep 1; done

I thought that everything is ready and soldered the SD card slot. So far so good, but then i couldn't make dd-wrt to see the card no matter what i did. The SD card is from my working WRT54GS v.2 router so I'm sure it works. I tried formatting it to ext2, ext3 or fat 32 but still nothing.
Tried to set GPIO's manually but still nothing.
Then I decided to downgrade the firmware to the recommended 13064. tried everything from above again. dmesg says:

root@DD-WRT:~# dmesg|grep mmc
mmc: starting module with: SD_DI=0x4, SD_DO=0x10, SD_CLK=0x8, SD_CS=0x80
mmc: this board has no MMC mod installed!
mmc: error in mmc_init (-1)

nvram:

root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show|grep mmc
mmc_cs=7
mmc_di=2
mmc_do=4
mmc_gpio=1
mmc_enable=1
mmc_clk=3
size: 23809 bytes (8959 left)
mmc_enable0=1

Tried to swap GPIO 4 with GPIO 0 on WLAN led, but no difference.
Some images for reference:

I would appreciate any help. If someone did this mod on WRT54GS v.3 and is willing to share which GPIO's and which firmware to use.
If any other information is needed i would be glad to provide it. I'm struggling the last 18 hours with this and I'm a little desperate now. Crying or Very sad

Update:
Flashed 13064 generic to the router (the same as the WRT54GL which has the mod)
I soldered two leds to GPIO 2 and 3 to be able to see some feedback if they are used. I also compared the soldering points and GPIO's behavior to my WRT54GL v1.1 at startup.
On my WRT54GL the DMZ led (GPIO 7) lights up during startup and stays on for at least 10 sec. On the GS v3.0 I'm trying to mod it does not.
GPIO 7 is chip select. If it is not on during startup, does it mean that the card is not selected and respectively not recognized or mounted? Maybe I can force 3,3V to the card to try if this is the problem?
What do you guys think?
What can I compare to the working WRT54GL to see if there is some major difference?
Tried the 2Gb SD card on the GL and it worked perfectly.
After soldering the leds the only difference now is the SES button. I even thought that I can solder one as well.

Update:

Soldered SES button to the board. Still struggling. No results so far.
Something I've noticed before.
After flashing another DD-WRT firmware the ram is again 64Mb which is not normal I think. In that case the CFE should be edited to show the correct value, am I right?
During the flash or bootup the power led is not blinking (it's off) and boot wait is enabled by default.
The CPU is at 240 MHz and I don't see the drop down menu to under-clock it in administration tab.

I'm attaching my CFE in case someone is able to see if there's some kind of change in it. I'm not that good to do it myself.

Update:

I checked the CFE with a HEX editor and saw some settings for the GPIO's as follows:

wl0gpio0=2
wl0gpio1=3
wl0gpio2=11
wl0gpio3=11

The settings for the ram and processor are also there. I don't want to loose them.

clk freq=240
sdram_init=0x0012
sdram_config=0x0032
sdram_refresh=0x0
sdram_ncdl=0x0

So now the question is - "How do these settings affect the GPIO's during boot?"
And how do I test to prove that? Can I change nvram settings without touching the CFE to test?

Update:
Apparently these settings are for the wireless LED and it's behaviour, they have nothing to do with the mod I'm trying to accomplish or at least I think so.
The problem is not in CFE but in the board itself maybe. Checked many times the soldering and that the software toggles the right outputs and input.
Tried with pin 1 (chip select) grounded to the motherboard, but nothing.
Formatted the card again in Ubuntu with blocksize 1024 still no go.
I have no other ideas and maybe will give up on it.
Sponsor
somo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 19:51    Post subject: Re: SD/MMC mod WRT54GS v3 need a little help Reply with quote
I have a WRT54GS v3 that I am looking into modifying now however the one I have has many differences compared to the one in your photos.

board number on this one is: 3763-1414030R

the LED numbers are printed on the board on this one where the switch and LEDs would be if it had those whereas yours they are not printed.

this one also has an Intel flash chip and there are many more differences.

just adding this info for future reference to those who have landed here upon searching like I have.

edit: adding more info> photos of the board I have are here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=882634

-WRT54GS V3 w/64MB RAM & SDCard Mods v24-sp2 Build:15962 + OTRW2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: