How to choose the best build version to use [on a WRT610Nv2]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
geva420
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 23:27    Post subject: How to choose the best build version to use [on a WRT610Nv2] Reply with quote
Hi,

I've been using the recommended build of DD-WRT for my LinkSys WRT610Nv2 for about 2 years now. There have been no updates to the recommended version, however the build version is currently years newer (thousands of builds) than what I'm running.

I love DD-WRT, but have been constantly plagued by problems with the NVRAM getting screwed up, and the router no longer booting. Every time this happens, I need to reset the router, reload a saved config file, but even then I can't save all of the parameters without F'ing the thing up again.

I'm thinking that newer versions are more stable, but going to a newer version would be an "unstable" version as not tested on my router. What should I do? Can I participate in testing to get the stable build for the WRT610Nv2 brought into this decade?

Cheers,

geva
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
a newer version will not help your nvram problems. It has been proven that 32k nvram for dual radio routers is just plain'ol not enough.

However, you are in luck having a 610_v2. You can convert it to an e3000 which has 60k nvram.

If you decide to convert it, do not load your old config backup. I will recommend that you end running 15962.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=137565

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware is correct in that it would be good to convert your router to an E3000. I purchased two from him in which he did convert them over (before he sent them to me). They work great and I have been very satisfied with their use.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
geva420
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is awesome news barryware! I went to extra efforts to get the V2... this is the first sign of it paying off... Very Happy

Love the article... this is going to be something that I'll have to schedule over the coming weeks but I'll get the 610n_V2 converted over and brought up to date and we'll see how things go.

@crashfly - you're running pretty up to date builds... do you ever have any problems?

Interesting that you guy/girl brought up the E3000, as other problems I've been having are on an E3000 (build 14929).
    - cron daemon problems on older builds; does not start properly on boot
    - /opt partition keeps getting screwed up; either mounted as RO or now just "currupt" w/ I/O errors and not working properly

I bought this unit as I like LinkSys stuff, but these /opt partition problems are starting to be a serious nuisance as the router is an ocean away (it's not in the ocean, but on the other side of it) so pulling the USB flash and running e2fsck is not so easy. Curious as to your thoughts/ideas...

@barryware - I'll take your advice and try to upgrade this unit to 15962 and see if that helps anything (should at least solve my cron problem).

Thanks for your help!
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
geva420 wrote:
@crashfly - you're running pretty up to date builds... do you ever have any problems?

Interesting that you guy/girl brought up the E3000, as other problems I've been having are on an E3000 (build 14929).
    - cron daemon problems on older builds; does not start properly on boot
    - /opt partition keeps getting screwed up; either mounted as RO or now just "currupt" w/ I/O errors and not working properly

I bought this unit as I like LinkSys stuff, but these /opt partition problems are starting to be a serious nuisance as the router is an ocean away (it's not in the ocean, but on the other side of it) so pulling the USB flash and running e2fsck is not so easy. Curious as to your thoughts/ideas...

The avatar is from a character in a game I used to play. As for the builds, I have recently converted over to "Kong" builds. He stays fairly recent on his custom builds and has optimized them for speed (much better thorough-put than the original). Kong has also got the mounting issues worked out. To get full details on his builds, go here: http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/23842/DD-WRT-Kong-Mod-Info/ Likely he has already resolved many of what you are calling issues. (As far as I know, cron works as it should.)

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
geva420
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
crashfly wrote:

The avatar is from a character in a game I used to play. As for the builds, I have recently converted over to "Kong" builds. He stays fairly recent on his custom builds and has optimized them for speed (much better thorough-put than the original). Kong has also got the mounting issues worked out. To get full details on his builds, go here: http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/23842/DD-WRT-Kong-Mod-Info/

These Kong builds sound very interesting! I'm definitely going to give them a try. Thanks for the info.

crashfly wrote:

Likely he has already resolved many of what you are calling issues. (As far as I know, cron works as it should.)

Apparently the crond problem was resolved way back in build XXXXX... so it should be good.
drapos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed last Kong Mod into a WRT610N v1 three days ago.

After configure all my QOS rules, static leases and minor stuff, I have 3969 bytes left (6811 bytes after a clean install).

I flashed this cause I'm pretty much interested in QOS, and I have read it didn't work at 14929. (To me it looked like it was working somehow, not like Linksys extremly poor implementation).

So far it looks like some random stuttering dissapeared when playing online. But it rebooted itself when I tried to WOL my PC for the first time. It was refusing to do, so I kept spamming the magic packet. Router crashed, rebooted and then worked as intended. WOL worked even when it was not configured to. I enabled it after that, anyway.

So now I just want to check stability. My router never rebooted itself since the first firmware revision from Linksys. Not with the latest updates or recommended build from DDWRT. I'm talking about more than two years (not counting with power shortages) on Linkys firmware and 45 days with DDWRT recommended build.
geva420
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:36    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote
OK - so I have updated the two E3000's I manage to barryware's recommended version. All seems to be working well so far. Time will tell.

As for my router upgrade to an E3000... I screwed something up on the last step and managed to brick my router. Crap. Anyway... Eko helped me out and it is now upgraded to E3000 60k memory and running the same recommended build of F/W. All good so far!

Thanks loads for your help!

geva
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: