Auto WOL when traffic doesn't pass through f-wall. Possible?

Kilowhisky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 17:07    Post subject: Auto WOL when traffic doesn't pass through f-wall. Possible? Reply with quote
So i've seen the WOL scripts and they seem like they could work well when i'm trying to connect from a computer that is outside my router.

Script i'm using:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Useful_Scripts#Web_Server_Wake-up

Now the problem that i see is that when ever i'm home the WOL script will be useless because the initiating computer and the server are on the same subnet so the router will not log the request.

Is there a way to have the router log the requests that are sent between two computers inside its network? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to network structure but i don't know if this is possible. Do i need to somehow proxy all my traffic through my router?

For explanation here is what i'm trying to do:

I have my home server that serves up SMB, AFP, HTTP(s), and a few other web applications. I would like the server to be sleeping when its not being accessed period. So if something outside the network requests HTTP access i want the server to wake up. If a computer on the local subnet requests a SMB share i want the server to wake up.

Can anyone help a noob out?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: