Need help designing this network with DDWRT

300zxdragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 16:33    Post subject: Need help designing this network with DDWRT Reply with quote
Here is what I want to do:

I have FIOS service with static IPs, I want to share this with my neighbor next door as follows:

My network:
1 of the static IPs and a LAN sybnet such as 192.168.1.x and wired and wireless users.

Neighbor:
2nd static IP (over a wireless bridge), with a different subnet such as 192.168.2.x and wireless and wired users.

The two LAN subnets need not reach each other.

I ordered two Netgear WNDR7300 v2 routers for this, but I have no idea whether this can be done with DDWRT and how to doit.
I am a newbee with DDWRT so details would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sponsor
kevinds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will also need a method of getting the internet to your neighbors, either wireless bridge (both sides) or simple ethernet cable.
300zxdragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I did mention that in my post I want the neghbor to be able to get out throug my FIOS by giving him a static IP from my FIOS block and therefore I want the wireless bridge.

But I can see that the wireless interface will have to be split between the LAN and the WAN and that is one of the things I am not sure about
300zxdragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
sorry, the model number for the routers I got is Netgear WNDR3700 v2
kevinds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have never had dealing with the fios service,

But in order to have multiple public static IPs, wouldn't it need to be in a bridge mode of come kind?

But that is what I was getting at, I am sure it is possible with some trickery of dd-wrt, but you may be better with a seperate wireless bridge, bridge kit maybe, or just two more dd-wrt routers. Or ethernet between you and your neighbor.

Using just what you ordered, if you get it working, if your router restarts for any reason, it will take down your neighbor's internet connection too, and both of you have to be very careful with any changes made to the routers.

Last edited by kevinds on Mon Jul 23, 2012 19:35; edited 1 time in total
300zxdragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks eibgrad, I may have miss understood your reply, I do not want to run a wire between me an my neighbor to the WAN switch I know how to design it that way.

What I want is a wireless WAN bridge between the Wireless router at my neiighbor and my router that is in turn wired to the WAN switch.

The FIOS I have is just an etehrnet jack in the wall so I can connect what ever I need to it. RIght now for example I have a small wan switch then I have two routers each connected with seperate WAN IP wired to the switch and each router has its own SSID and LAN subnet.

I pretty much want to do the same thing with my neighbor except I do not want to run a wire from his wan port to my switch.
300zxdragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is the part I was referring to in my reply to

and provide a separate AP for your neighbor (connected to that switch).

I do not want to run a wire to the switch from my neighbor. I am thinking that I can create two wireless interfaces on the netgear one for the wan and one for the lan and can connect the two routers with the wan wireless bridge to go through the wan switch I have.

Now I know this is very simplistic view but that is what I am trying to do
kevinds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad and I are both agreeing, unless you want to run an ethernet wire (which you don't) your best method is get more wireless hardware.

The more hardware - there are many options will specifically creating the wireless link between your house and your neighbors.
300zxdragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I understand now, so my neighbor will have two wireless devices one to act a s awireless bridge and another for his wireless/Wired LAN.

I inisioned that but was not sure if DDWRT can create the two seperate wireless interfaces on teh same devices (The WAN and The LAN) hence eliminating the need for two devices on my neighbor end.

I was told by someone that OPENWRT can do that so I assumed DDWRT should be able to do that also.

WHat type of bridge will I be creating a repeater bridge, or client?

Thaks again for the help
300zxdragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for the explanasion, and I am glad you mentioned VOIP issue as we were planning on connecting VOIP.

Now one more question, the WISP device if it is a dual band can I have it specificaly connect on the 5GHZ or is that not definable?

Also, now that I am thinking about this does this mean the WISP wireless will be on my 192.168.1.x network? and where would the public static IP reside on teh second AP WAN connection that is wired to the WISP? if that is the case does that mean we will need two public addresses for teh neighbor as one will reside on the LAN on teh WISp and one on the WAN on the WAP?

I guess now I am confused on how the subnets will look like?
300zxdragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again eibgrad,, I think I understand better now. As far as signal strength I think we will be ok with the routers we picked I got external antennas for them to help, the neighbor house is next door so we are about 80 Yards away.

I looked into the WISp and did some research, can you explain more about what would cause the bandwidth cut in half if the routers are dual band and have seperate interfaces for each band. SO I am back to using one router on each site thinking and setting up the 5GHZ band for the bridge and the 2.4 for the LAN would that not work?
I do not know right now it is all in my head I think I will feel better whne I get my hands on the routers and install the DDWRT and start missing with it.
kevinds
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
To make this a lot simplier,

Yes, you can use the hardware you ordered, but we strongly suggest you don't.

Get more wireless equipment specifically for makeing the bridge.

When you stop thinking about making it work with what you have, and adding the bridge hardware to your list of equipment to use, it should become a lot more clear.

Or if you are still thinking about how this works, think of the two netgear routers as NOT having any wireless, how do you get the signal from one house to the other, you need a wireless bridge which you don't have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: