Asus RT-AC66U now in stock - DD-WRT compatibility?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91, 92  Next
jimmypooh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 20:31    Post subject: Re: RT-AC66U Version A2 Reply with quote
[quote="mache"]I have read through the 90 pages of this thread to see if there was any resolution to loading DD-WRT onto an RT-AC66U H/W Version A2 and did not find any.

While the stock Asus firmware loads and runs fine, all my attempts to load DD-WRT have failed usually resulting in a 3-4 minute cycle of reboots with no Ethernet or WiFi connectivity. This is even when I did a full erase of NVRAM variables through Telnet on the stock system via mtd-erase -d nvram.

Is the RT-AC66U Version A2 just a dead end platform?[/quote]

I think I have the same question. I have a RT-AC66U and the firmware on the bottom says H/W A2. Are there more than 2 version of this router and that stock firmware indicator tells us what version of the router we have? I'm just trying to figure out if what Firmware I should be using.

I'm currently running firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/15/14) giga. I'm almost happy with this firmware, I just can't get transparent mode of privoxy to work. It does work however with the 8118 port.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsor
jimmypooh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump.
arneande
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Asus are the best ruter for recovery ,because they have a recovery tool follow the instruktions and you are back.

arneande Cool
lordveovis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have just recently installed DD-WRT on my Asus RT-AC66U and I was looking to secure it and add some additional features. Attempting to do so has caused me to run into several issues.

Upon installing any of the newer betas I am not able to use ipkg. It fails to update with no error messages at all. So after trying several versions, I saw a post recomending an older version I now have installed, 26339.

I had seen the posts for Optware the Right Way and OTRW2, however both of these projects seem discontinued and all links are dead. I had specifically wanted to secure my router and saw all of the work and thought that would be the way to go, now I am not sure what to do to best secure my router as some scipts, like asiablock, spamhammer, and others were all lost when the links died.

Additionally, several programs from optware seem to require FPU emulation, and I think that is now disabled by default. Do I want / need FPU emulation? Is it now disabled for a reason?

Any help or guidance would be most appreciated.

Last edited by lordveovis on Thu Jun 09, 2016 20:28; edited 1 time in total
lordveovis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 20:27    Post subject: Re: RT-AC66U Version A2 Reply with quote
jimmypooh wrote:
mache wrote:
I have read through the 90 pages of this thread to see if there was any resolution to loading DD-WRT onto an RT-AC66U H/W Version A2 and did not find any.

While the stock Asus firmware loads and runs fine, all my attempts to load DD-WRT have failed usually resulting in a 3-4 minute cycle of reboots with no Ethernet or WiFi connectivity. This is even when I did a full erase of NVRAM variables through Telnet on the stock system via mtd-erase -d nvram.

Is the RT-AC66U Version A2 just a dead end platform?

I think I have the same question. I have a RT-AC66U and the firmware on the bottom says H/W A2. Are there more than 2 version of this router and that stock firmware indicator tells us what version of the router we have? I'm just trying to figure out if what Firmware I should be using.

I'm currently running firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/15/14) giga. I'm almost happy with this firmware, I just can't get transparent mode of privoxy to work. It does work however with the 8118 port.

Thanks for any help!

I had read elsewhere that the newest Asus firmwares lock out the ability to install any non-Asus firmwares. To get around this you need to downgrade to an older Asus firmware. Older firmwares do not prevent you from loading DD-WRT.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Downgrade to CFE 1.0.1.x if you have 1.0.2.x
usma95
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 21:05    Post subject: Re: RT-AC66U Version A2 Reply with quote
lordveovis wrote:

I had read elsewhere that the newest Asus firmwares lock out the ability to install any non-Asus firmwares. To get around this you need to downgrade to an older Asus firmware. Older firmwares do not prevent you from loading DD-WRT.

Try loading Merlin's ASUS f/w first. Then try DD-WRT.
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will the AC-66U get support for linux kernel 3.18 or later?

I notice that after updating to the latest builds it is still on:

Linux 3.10.102 #13168 Fri Jul 1 12:10:38 CEST 2016 mips

I'm looking for some features that are available in kernel 3.18 and later, but I'm wondering if this router will be locked to that kernel and I need to start looking at new hardware?
vpn_stu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone provide the steps needed to downgrade the firmware to a dd-wrt flashable version?

Once I found the wiki page for the device I thought I was on the right path (getting a firmware that was much newer than the one from the router database page) but the router refuses to accept it as a valid firmware package.

I've found a few mentions of downgrading but I've not found any clear steps (ie grab this few version and use this programme to downgrade etc). I tried Merlin's fw mentioned on the previous page but it gets the same refusal as the DD-WRT fw.

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the first post in half a year).
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any updates on how this router is performing with the last Beta builds?

I just tried the most recent beta release for April 2017 and after flashing with it I'm seeing decreased throughput for routing over my trusty old Kong build 24200m.

On Kong 24200 I can saturate my VDSL connection at 67mbps downstream

With /betas/2017/04-24-2017-r31899 I could only reliably pull downstream 50mbps with the occasional spike up to 54mbps.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Use the firmware restoration tool to flash merlin 380.59 then you can flash dd-wrt on it.
Use only the build with the rtn66 name in the file of the k3.x folder.

@Malachi

You have mixed up the RT-AC66U with the RT-N66U.

The RT-AC66U is in the root and not in the K3.x folder

@spaceghost

I have only a 30Mbit/s internet connection and it saturates it.
Have you tried to overclock it?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow. Sorry about that. I will delete my post.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:

@spaceghost

I have only a 30Mbit/s internet connection and it saturates it.
Have you tried to overclock it?

How safe is that to do and how far should I take it? Looks like default is 600?
hubermania
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:
Any updates on how this router is performing with the last Beta builds? ... On Kong 24200 I can saturate my VDSL connection at 67mbps downstream. With /betas/2017/04-24-2017-r31899 I could only reliably pull downstream 50mbps with the occasional spike up to 54mbps.

Keep an eye on the "New build" threads to see folks' results with various routers. Like Per Yngve Berg, the '66 easily saturates my 30Mbps connection and that's with IPv6 & Adblock enabled, and Postfix & apcupsd running from /opt.

The RT-AC66U's 600MHz CPU is capable of 150Mbps according to "Brainslayer's Approximation" (CPU clock / 4). TMK there are fixes in v3.0 that make it a bit slower than v2.4, but not 54Mbps slow.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried overclocking all the way to max OC speed with no consistent effect on my WAN throughput using the latest build. Kong 24200m still outperforms. Not sure what hidden bugs/features I'm losing though by using such an old FW.

Considering hunting for 68u now.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91, 92  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 90 of 92
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: