Asus RT-AC66U now in stock - DD-WRT compatibility?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 90, 91, 92  Next
FTP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:
Any updates on how this router is performing with the last Beta builds?

1 year 1/2 after, same question?
What's now the latest recommanded build?

All I've found is:
-The RT-AC66U is not in the Router database any more (it used to be)
https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/
-The RT-AC66U is in the Supported Device list, but there's only a minimum build from March 2013 (20873)...
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Asus
-The Peacock thread §3 is stuck on recommanding the 14929 build from August 2010...
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=296835#296835
-There's no hardware specific for the RT-AC66U...
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware-specific#Asus
- The RT-AC66U's Wiki does not give any advise regarding builds...
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U
- The 36995 from 2 weeks ago has been installed without any errors by jrscs...
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1141670#1141670
- But according to their signatures jrscs & hubermania seem to use the 33492 & 34311 builds from late 2017

Any other input regarding the last builds?
Any build of 2018 known as the most recommanded?
Can I take the 37139 of this week for example?

2nd question: should I use the 30/30/30 hard reset or the Factory Default settings in the GUI?
I can't find anywhere in official FAQ/Wiki/Threads any comment saying the Asus RT-AC66U should not use the 30/30/30 hard reset but hubermania mention in his signature "66 should only be factory reset through the DD UI" and jrscs mention in his upgrade report that he also used "Reset: Yes, reset Factory Default both prior to and after install through WebGUI".
So I'm wondering if it's not better not to use the 30/30/30 hard reset for this model Rolling Eyes

Last edited by FTP on Fri Oct 05, 2018 16:20; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have installed and tested 37012

Only use Factory Reset in the GUI on this model. A nvram reset will cause the 5Ghz to be detected as 2.4Ghz
Tony98031
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just installed dd-wrt BS 37012 into Asus RT-AC66U, been running Merlin last 2 years,so far everything run smoothly. The reason I installed dd-wrt was to run it as Repeater bridge, so far so good.
FTP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
On Oct. 5th morning there were:
- reports of failure with the 36698...
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1139116#1139116
- report of success with the 36995...
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1141670#1141670
- and not yet any reports about the 37012 & 37139.

So I installed the 36995 without any issue and since then... so far so good.

Now you guys add that the 37102 is ok, there's a report that the 37139 is also ok...
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1143260#1143260
...but nothing yet about the 37305.

Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Only use Factory Reset in the GUI on this model.

That's what I did, thanks.
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
So ironic that this thread and my earlier questions have come back to life. My old RT-AC66U was retired to acting as a media bridge with Merlin. However, Merlin has dropped support for this model and so I decided to put DD-WRT back on it yesterday. I had a hellish nightmare even getting it installed. Basically I ran into these problems

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=300462&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I was getting constant boot looping when installing DD-WRT - eventually got it on using June 1 2017 build with asus firmware utility and then was able to flash to current releases from there.

I have r37139 running on it for 24 hours and it's stable. It's still being used as a client bridge though.
adoucette
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:
I was getting constant boot looping when installing DD-WRT - eventually got it on using June 1 2017 build with asus firmware utility and then was able to flash to current releases from there.

I have r37139 running on it for 24 hours and it's stable. It's still being used as a client bridge though.

Same issue here. I was getting reboot loops.
So I enabled firmware update mode by following instructions here:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/
Download ASUS firmware update utility and install it. Don't run it yet.
Power off router, holding down reset button, power on router, wait 5 seconds, and then release reset button.
Plug network cable into LAN port, directly into PC.
Change the settings for the NIC to static IPv4 192.168.1.10 and mask 255.255.255.0 as in asus link above.
Open ASUS firmware update utility. Browse to firmware and upload to router. IN this case, the June 1 2017 r32170 build found here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/06-01-2017-r32170/asus-rt-ac66u/

Reset the NIC IPv4 settings to DHCP.
Browse to 192.168.1.1
Go through welcome screen and set username and password
Go to Administration and do a firmware upgrade to a more recent DD-WRT version, such as 37139 found here:
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2018/10-04-2018-r37139/asus-rt-ac66u/

Again go through setup.

Now works just fine. (except only that I don't get NTP...)

Thanks spaceghost for the help.
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
adoucette - what mode are you using it in? NTP is working for me, but I'm in client bridge mode. Just make sure you have a gateway and dns server in Network Setup for the Router IP under basic setup. I always used to forget to configure that part because the webgui is accessible and works even if you don't a gateway and dns set
studiovpc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
So guys what's the most stable build for AC66U these days? Just got one for cheap... I have been on DDWRT for years on other routers, flashed the latest build in this one and GUI is just broken, cache in browser cleared, menus going crazy, like when CSS break down...

Other than that it freezes itself when doing that, so I took it back to stock for now until I realize which build is good...

So any recommendations?
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
studiovpc wrote:
So guys what's the most stable build for AC66U these days? Just got one for cheap... I have been on DDWRT for years on other routers, flashed the latest build in this one and GUI is just broken, cache in browser cleared, menus going crazy, like when CSS break down...

Other than that it freezes itself when doing that, so I took it back to stock for now until I realize which build is good...

So any recommendations?

Did you erase the nvram using the GUI or from a command-line? Sounds to me like you might have had some stale settings and needed to get back to a clean state. I'm currently running brainslayer's DD-WRT v3.0-r37139 giga 10/04/18 with no problems on my AC66U.
studiovpc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:
studiovpc wrote:

So any recommendations?

Did you erase the nvram using the GUI or from a command-line? Sounds to me like you might have had some stale settings and needed to get back to a clean state. I'm currently running brainslayer's DD-WRT v3.0-r37139 giga 10/04/18 with no problems on my AC66U.

From gui, first before on stock then after ddwrt... i have seen the same thing on my old Netgear WNR3500Lv1 newer builds have that weird crap, older ones not. I have it on 33555
And my TPLink WDR-4300 never experienced that thing on any build, I am beginning to see pattern here, Broadcom 😜

So what are you recommending that I do? I am on the latest stock
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
studiovpc wrote:
spaceghost wrote:
studiovpc wrote:

So any recommendations?

From gui, first before on stock then after ddwrt... i have seen the same thing on my old Netgear WNR3500Lv1 newer builds have that weird crap, older ones not. I have it on 33555
And my TPLink WDR-4300 never experienced that thing on any build, I am beginning to see pattern here, Broadcom 😜

So what are you recommending that I do? I am on the latest stock

Not sure what to say. Since my post 30 minutes ago I actually have just upgraded my AC-66U to the following and it is working perfectly fine. You definitely have the correct firmware for it? There are several versions of the AC-66U. One of them is actually an AC-68U chipset and needs that firmware so I guess I would make sure you aren't flashing the wrong FW for your exact model.

I'd say double-check your hardware codes and make sure you have the right FW, flash it and make sure you get it full nvram reset either via recovery mode, dd-wrt gui or command line. Read more here if you need https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U

My current working specs...
Router Name rt-ac66u
Router Model Asus RT-AC66U
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r38060 giga (12/20/18)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:

Not sure what to say. Since my post 30 minutes ago I actually have just upgraded my AC-66U to the following and it is working perfectly fine. You definitely have the correct firmware for it? There are several versions of the AC-66U. One of them is actually an AC-68U chipset and needs that firmware so I guess I would make sure you aren't flashing the wrong FW for your exact model.

I'd say double-check your hardware codes and make sure you have the right FW, flash it and make sure you get it full nvram reset either via recovery mode, dd-wrt gui or command line. Read more here if you need https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-AC66U

My current working specs...
Router Name rt-ac66u
Router Model Asus RT-AC66U
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r38060 giga (12/20/1Cool

Yesy yes correct one, older version non B1 harware, not my first rodeo Smile

So let's see now, I should do it this way then:

1. Get it into recovery mode, clear nvram
2. reboot
3. flash ddwrt from recovery mode or from Asus gui?
4. Restore factory defaults from ddwrt GUI
5. That it?

Thank you for helping btw Wink
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah that seems pretty thorough. Good luck and I hope it works! I've found nvram clearing to be challenging sometimes (in that I could swear I had cleared nvram, but somehow it didn't 'take'). My guess is that something was lingering and not getting fully reset.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
spaceghost wrote:
Yeah that seems pretty thorough. Good luck and I hope it works! I've found nvram clearing to be challenging sometimes (in that I could swear I had cleared nvram, but somehow it didn't 'take'). My guess is that something was lingering and not getting fully reset.

then it must have been that in my case too...

should I use telnet to erase nvram as in wiki?
spaceghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah that should be good. I think that wiki has been updated and is pretty current. Please report back how you get on!

Navigation

Jump to: