Asus RT-AC66U now in stock - DD-WRT compatibility?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
ddelite1967
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Solved.. I did a 30-30-30 reset and it works now...
Sponsor
secretweapon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:33    Post subject: Reboot Loop Reply with quote
I seem to be having the same problem a few others have had. Uploading DD-WRT firmware causes my RT-AC66U to get locked in reboot mode, every 30 seconds or so.

I'm able to reboot into recovery mode, and I'm able to load stock firmware.

But when I load the Brainslayer firmware -- either in a) recovery mode, b) stock web GUI or c) TFTP -- it keeps rebooting and never stops.

I've tried every version of the Brainslayer firmware going back to May. I've also tried several older versions of the stock firmware. Nothing helps.

Yes, I do clear the NVRAM via Telnet before I flash DD-WRT. I have tried 30-30-30. I have done the usual recommended resets: a) holding down the WPS button and then turning it on, b) holding down the reset button and then turning it on, c) doing both of those: holding the WPS button, turning it on, waiting 15 seconds, then holding reset button for another 15 seconds.

Recovery mode works. Stock firmware works. Brainslayer DD-WRT firmware does not.

Any suggestions?
secretweapon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:31    Post subject: Re: Reboot Loop Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I was able to install Merlin successfully.

Still can't explain why Brainslayer locks it in an infinite reboot. Any ideas?

secretweapon wrote:
I seem to be having the same problem a few others have had. Uploading DD-WRT firmware causes my RT-AC66U to get locked in reboot mode, every 30 seconds or so.

I'm able to reboot into recovery mode, and I'm able to load stock firmware.

But when I load the Brainslayer firmware -- either in a) recovery mode, b) stock web GUI or c) TFTP -- it keeps rebooting and never stops.

I've tried every version of the Brainslayer firmware going back to May. I've also tried several older versions of the stock firmware. Nothing helps.

Yes, I do clear the NVRAM via Telnet before I flash DD-WRT. I have tried 30-30-30. I have done the usual recommended resets: a) holding down the WPS button and then turning it on, b) holding down the reset button and then turning it on, c) doing both of those: holding the WPS button, turning it on, waiting 15 seconds, then holding reset button for another 15 seconds.

Recovery mode works. Stock firmware works. Brainslayer DD-WRT firmware does not.

Any suggestions?
Shandleyman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 21:12    Post subject: Re: VPN bug? Reply with quote
A few weeks back I posted about a VPN problem with this build. Is this my fault or is it a known issue?

Shandleyman wrote:
Greetings,

I am using PPTP for a VPN on this router. It seems to work intermittently at best. I am using the Windows 7 client computer to connect to it. I have also used an iPhone on a different network to confirm that it was not working... then was... then wasn't again.

Before I go in and hijack, I am thinking I should be doing some sort of logging for the purpose of troubleshooting in case this is going to be a fix for the authors of this firmware but don't know what I should be doing. Is this a known issue with the firmware? I use other firmwares in the WRT54G routers and the VPN function seems to work flawlessly.

Asus RT-AC66U
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/23/14) kongac(SVN revision 23770M

I have the PPTP settings correct, I am pretty sure but here they are:
PPTP Server: Enabled
Broadcast support: Disabled
MPPE Encryption: Enabled
DNS1: (Blank)
DNS2: (Blank)
WINS1: (Blank)
WINS2: (Blank)
MTU: 1436
MRU: 1436
Server IP: 192.168.1.1 (same as the router's ip)
Client IP(s): 192.168.1.5-9 (outside of the DHCP and any static IP addresses on the server)
Max Associated Clients: 64 (I only use 1 at a time, the odd time 2 VPN clients at a time)
Authentication: Local User Management (CHAP Secrets)
I have m CHAT-Secrets set up right: username * password *

I have tried forwarding port 1723 to the router IP address but that changed nothing.

I have tried a re-install from scratch. I have a duplicate router which I tried the same build and had the same problem.

The VPN feature seems to work great for the first little while but then intermittent... then I am lucky to be able to connect.

Much Thanks! I'll be happy to provide any other info.

/ |-| /-\ /\/ |) |_ (- Y /\/\ /-\ /\/
\ -------------------------------
/
FabianN
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:12    Post subject: Port Forwarding Reply with quote
I recently got the ASUS RT-AC66U and loaded dd-wrt onto it, and I am having what seems to be the common issue of port forwarding that I can't seem to figure out. Internet works normally.

And here's two really weird things it's doing as well:

By default the router is granting access to the control panel to the outside network, even though I have disabled 'Remote Access'. And then if I run this command (as noted here):
Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j DNAT --to 192.168.1.8:80
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp -d 192.168.1.8 --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

The router then starts to forward the port correctly, but if I type the IP address of the router itself it gets redirected to my server. Same goes for what seems to be nearly all sites. I can load facebook.com and google.com just fine, but I just went through the 10 sites I visit most and except for facebook they all were directed to my server.

And of course, rebooting the router restores it to a functioning point.

I can't seem to figure this out.

Here is a bunch of information:

Code:
Router Model Asus RT-AC66U
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/17/14) kongac - build 23900M
Kernel Version Linux 3.10.34-rc1 #53 Thu Apr 17 18:42:00 CEST 2014 mips

The output of this command: iptables -t nat -vnL PREROUTING
Code:
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 28269 packets, 2602K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

The output of this command: iptables -vnL FORWARD
Code:
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 1719K packets, 1705M bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         

(yes, they both came up blank after the reboot).

And here are a couple screenshots of settings pages: http://imgur.com/a/wxCq7

Help please? I am lost.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just in case anyone is shopping for this router, Newegg has the RT-AC66R for 109$ today. I think that;s the lowest I have seen to date.
Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.
Where can I get the latest test Firmware or older ones?
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Asus RT-AC66R on 3.x 28072 Giga
TP-Link Archer C9 on 3.x r54095
Feuerbard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 0:32    Post subject: ac 66 dead Reply with quote
have one dead after 6 month great working (dead after usual reboot)

power led fast blinking , restore mode working - tryed clear nvram from web cfi , tryed all official and alternative firmware - flashing ok then reboots and rapid fast power blink again

in console

Code:
CFE version 6.30.39.16 (r331229) based on BBP 1.0.37 for BCM947XX (32bit,SP,LE)
Build Date: Tue Jul  3 13:19:49 CST 2012 (defjovi@F13)
Copyright (C) 2000-2008 Broadcom Corporation.

Init Arena
Init Devs.
Boot partition size = 262144(0x40000)
Found an ST compatible serial flash with 32 64KB blocks; total size 2MB
Found a Samsung NAND flash with 2048B pages or 128KB blocks; total size 128MB
bcm_robo_enable_switch: EEE is disabled
et0: Broadcom BCM47XX 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Controller 6.30.39.16 (r331229)
CPU type 0x19749: 600MHz
Tot mem: 131072 KBytes

CFE mem:    0x80700000 - 0x8084E7A0 (1370016)
Data:       0x80738530 - 0x8073B7D0 (12960)
BSS:        0x8073B7D0 - 0x8074C7A0 (69584)
Heap:       0x8074C7A0 - 0x8084C7A0 (1048576)
Stack:      0x8084C7A0 - 0x8084E7A0 (8192)
Text:       0x80700000 - 0x80738528 (230696)

Device eth0:  hwaddr 30-85-xx-xx-xx-xx, ipaddr 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0
        gateway not set, nameserver not set
Null Rescue Flag.
Wait until reset button released...   

restoration utility log

Code:
Reading :: TFTP Server.
- last blk -
Done. 10850304 bytes read
Download of 0xa59000 bytes completed
Write kernel and filesystem binary to FLASH
Programming...copysize=10850304, amtcopy=10850304
done. 10850304 bytes written 

i can enter to cfe by ctrl-c

available commands

Code:
Available commands: show, nvram, reboot, flash, batch, go, boot, load, save, ping, arp, ifconfig, help

Code:
show devices        Display information about the installed devices.
show clocks         Show current values of the clocks.
nvram               NVRAM utility.
reboot              Reboot.
flash               Update a flash memory device
batch               Load a batch file into memory and execute it
go                  Verify and boot OS image.
boot                Load an executable file into memory and execute it
load                Load an executable file into memory without executing it
save                Save a region of memory to a remote file via TFTP
ping                Ping a remote IP host.
arp                 Display or modify the ARP Table
ifconfig            Configure the Ethernet interface
help                Obtain help for CFE commands

anyone help ???

what is it - dead spi flash or dead nand flash or something else??
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just purchased and installed an Asus RT-AC66R with Kong-AC 24200 and after struggling a little bit with not getting a WAN IP, I was finally able to get it working after issuing a Erase NVRAM and Reboot from an SSH session. I suspect that it had something to do with my Wan Port showing up as disabled and not being assigned to VLAN2. It seems like the erase nvram fixed that among other things.

when I look at my interfaces my interfaces eth0(LAN), eth1(Wan) and wlan0(2.4g radio) have identical mac addresses with the last digit being 30. That seems to be wrong but when I had the stock Asus firmware on the unit, it was the same way and everything worked. Eth2 and WLan2(5G radio) are identical to each other as well. Odd thing is that this address is 4 values greater than my Lan Mac(last digit is 34).

question I have is whether this is normal and nothing to be concerned about. it;s all working although i think it could be a source of conflict down the road. I though mac addresses were hardware encoded on a chip and all had to be unique.

anybody else have the same observation as me? I can change the address using the nvram set command but maybe Asus is doing something different than I am expecting and shouldn;t bother? is the mac address enumeration a bug or expected behavior?

Please state what make and model router plus the build number and type of DD-WRT you are using. Screen prints and a network diagram can are also helpful. Before you create a new post, use the search function. Chances are your issue has happened to someone else.

Common F.A.Q.

khrizthian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:46    Post subject: HO TO FLASH Reply with quote
Hey Guys I have already flashed Kong's build in the past but now there is a new and old file under the JUNE 7 2014 folder which I assume is the new build for our ASUS AC66U router. How do I go about flashing this file? Any tips? Any special order? Thanks.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
flash the same as you have been doing-from the webgui under administration tab

the oldd version contains an older lan driver

the newd version contains a newer lan driver

some people are having better luck with one over the other for their environments-seems to be related to clients with intel wireless cards.

Common F.A.Q.

booyaah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry I've been away a while...what's the difference between the K26 and K3-AC firmware from http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt?
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kernel version and support for newer hardware? I think you want the K3-ARM version on this router and I don;t know or think the 2.6 version would work.

Common F.A.Q.

mathewsmt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 15:45    Post subject: Help Reply with quote
Hi,

So i have a RT-AC66R and trying to install the Kong firmware but has a lot issues to get it working properly, Finally has the wireless and all others working but my issue was the my USB hard drive could not be configured to be seen in the network. So reverted back to merlin.

So question for anyone who can help me... What process was followed to install the dd-wrt firmware. Also what is the best one.
Finally how can i get my hdd (usb) configured correctly....

Thanks in Advance
OggyFX51
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 17:52    Post subject: Integrated Webserver Reply with quote
I dont see that tab in my install of ddwrt Asus AC66U.
madman999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 21:36    Post subject: Re: Help Reply with quote
mathewsmt wrote:

So question for anyone who can help me... What process was followed to install the dd-wrt firmware. Also what is the best one.
Finally how can i get my hdd (usb) configured correctly....

Thanks in Advance

to install DD-WRT, all you have to do is go to the router's admin web page and update the firmware in the admin section. you need the brainslayer trx file before install anything like Kong's version.

if you can;t get internet access, there is a chance that your vlan and mac address info did not get populated correctly. The way to fix it is to telnet into the router and erase the nvram and then reboot. it;s detailed in an earlier post in this thread.

as for getting the hard drive recognized, that should be under services/USB tab. after enabling and rebooting, go to services/NAS tab and enable ftp and Samba.

Common F.A.Q.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 90, 91, 92  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 77 of 92
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: