VPN firmware won't load onto WRT54GS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jonboy_9999
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 0:55    Post subject: VPN firmware won't load onto WRT54GS Reply with quote
Hi folks… First post – hoping for some guidance please...

WRT54GS v4 updated to Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini (Build 14929) - dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin – works fine.

I’m now trying to get firmware which includes an OpenVPN client (dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin I think is the correct file?), but it keeps failing about 10 seconds after starting an upgrade.

I have:
- Read the peacock thread, so I’m getting my hard reset etc correct before flashing
- Disabled AV and Firewall

The consensus on this thread (https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312377) seems to be that this can be done (I did do some homework before posting!), but can’t discover my flash memory size to confirm.

Any pointers to either possible mistakes in my process or other firmware to try for this purpose would be gratefully appreciated…
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pretty sure it's a 4mb flash, and pretty sure there's no vpn build for that device.
jonboy_9999
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the comment.

I also have a v7 of the same router available, and that has dd-wrt on it. Is VPN firmware available for that version of router? The DB doesn't contain it, but others may know differently...

Again - grateful for any steer...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
If wikidevi is correct. the v7 can only take micro builds:

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_WRT54GS_v7.0

Which, you would want to be very careful with, as there have been issues with micro builds bricking the WRT54 series devices.

Someone recently posted in a more recent build thread what some of us have been thinking for quite some time:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1159424#1159424
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonboy_9999 wrote:
WRT54GS v4

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GS_v4.0

after you have dd-wrt on the router then flash a 'dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin'

The old WRT54G routers with 4MB flash, AFAIK are the only 4MB flash routers you will find dd-wrt ovpn firmware for.
I wouldn't use any build of this year or last year.
I would use a dd-wrt build from no later than 2017.... but that's just my preference for these very old routers

--- your VPN speed using a WRT54G router will likely be no greater than 8 mbs at best ---
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
@mrjcd, thanks for that. I couldn't remember about the v4 specifically.
jonboy_9999
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. We have the OpenVPN part on a Raspberry PI in the UK (server end - working fine), so if we can't flash the client-end router to support OpenVPN then I guess we'll be looking at a second Raspberry PI at the client end running the OpenVPN client and operating as a wireless access point too. Any final thoughts on the routers (or on the Raspberry PI route) much appreciated as always.

JB
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
For what its worth. The wrt54GS Versions 1 through 3 had 32MB of ram and 8MB of flash memory. That made them compatible with the Mega versions of DDWRT. Not sure if that's any help with VPN. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: