WRT54G v4 vs. v6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
cdbma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 13:14    Post subject: WRT54G v4 vs. v6 Reply with quote
Greetings,
First-timer here. I grabbed a WRT54Gv6 for a great price (free!) a few days ago so I could experiment with DD-WRT. The documentation was terrific and the installation was flawless. I now have it running as an AP along with another WRT54Gv4. However, as you all know, the v6 has some memory limitations and the status page says I've managed to use most of it. I purposely did not try to install DD-WRT on my v4 until I was sure I knew what I was doing - it's my Internet "lifeline."

I am considering DD-WRT on my v4. My question is, quite simply, is it worth it? Do I gain anything (features? performance?) by doing this? I know the v4 is feature-limited with the micro install on the v6, but not sure how much I'd gain with an install on a v4.

Finally, if I go with DD-WRT on the v4, do you recommend that I return to OEM firmware on the v6? I'd just use it as an access point, supplementing the v4 router.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
No one can answer this for you. If the v4 is working fine with stock firmware, leave it on. DD-wrt will often cause a performance decrease from oem firmware.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: