Please be kind, I'm new.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kehlder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 18:05    Post subject: Please be kind, I'm new. Reply with quote
I'm deployed to Kuwait and I'm trying to set-up a wireless router for wlan gaming. I've got the wrt54g2 and I've already put dd-wrt on it. When I try and use it for gaming it's slow and buggy and my opponents are hopping around all over the place. This is not over the internet, this is strictly for gaming against the other people in the tent with me. My question is what would be a possible cause for this to be happening, what settings might I change to resolve the issue. I know that this is probably obvious for most people on this forum but I'm just starting to learn networking in general so please don't be condescending in your replies. This is for XBOX360 and maybe later on Windows PC.
Sponsor
KSoze
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are some things we need to know before we can help:

1) Router make and model
2) Build of DD-WRT

There are a TON of settings that could affect this. I suspect you are probably using a buggy build that is causing issues.

Antenna chains in my experience are a huge suspect in this.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? I have a number of routers both broadcom and Atheros and a USB wifi adapter that just does not like any of the routers I own and lags like hell.

The funny thing is when I take it to someone elses house, same computer, same adapter, it works fine and is perfectly fast.

Channel bandwidth settings could mess with this, wireless mode could cause instability (depends on build). There are literally hundreds of things it could be. The info requested above will certainly help.

And I would like to say, thank you for making the sacrifice to serve. Your service for your country is greatly appreciated.
kehlder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry its taking me so long to reply, been busy. The make and model are Linksys and a wrt54g2v1, the build is dd-wrt.v24-10709_NEWD_micro. I've got it working at a decent clip by following some directions in the xbox360 guide, should have found that before posting. I also set it to be an ad-hoc connection and changed the channel when I found out which ones were in use by the local internet service. If anyone knows of any additional settings I could change not covered in the xbox360 guide could they please let me know? I appreciate it. Thanks for replying, btw.
Edited, thank you for pointing that out to me.

Last edited by kehlder on Sun Aug 12, 2012 19:19; edited 1 time in total
Mangix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
kehlder wrote:
The make and model are Linksys and a wrt54g2v1, the build is FW_WRT54G2V1_1.0.04.005_US.
This is the stock firmware. This is not dd-wrt.

edit: update that version of dd-wrt to a newer one. the current recommended build is 14929 and can be downloaded here: ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
kehlder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: