setting up my router

xjsc16x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 22:51    Post subject: setting up my router Reply with quote
My dad just got the internet set up in his house through the cable company. I plugged in his old linksys router and the internet was not being recieved either through wiring or wireless (works when the comp is plugged in directly from modem). So I brought my e1000 v2.1 with dd-wrt and set it up, still no luck. I looked at the default gateway through ipconfig and it is 97.81.40.1 weird?? Anyways, please help I can't figure out how to set it up :/

Last edited by xjsc16x on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:30; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
Dougz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try rebooting the cable modem before you connected it to the a new device? I have often had trouble getting things to work if I have made any changes in the vicinity of the modem. Rebooting the cable modem before connecting it to anything different usually gets things going.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dougz wrote:
Did you try rebooting the cable modem before you connected it to the a new device? I have often had trouble getting things to work if I have made any changes in the vicinity of the modem. Rebooting the cable modem before connecting it to anything different usually gets things going.

I have not. Will try as soon as I get home from work, so that I don't mess with his cable hahah.
xjsc16x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dougz wrote:

Justin tried it and it works now ^_^ hahah thanks man, I thought that it would have been a lot more complicated but it looks like I was mistaken.
Mechy09
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's another nifty feature that could prove to be useful in the future is rebooting is not an option. Under Setup->MAC Address Clone, there is an option to spoof the MAC address. You can use this to disguise the router as the original computer.
xjsc16x
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mechy09 wrote:
There's another nifty feature that could prove to be useful in the future is rebooting is not an option. Under Setup->MAC Address Clone, there is an option to spoof the MAC address. You can use this to disguise the router as the original computer.

Actually, I tried that on both routers and surprisingly it didn't work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: