Intelbras WRN 240 with DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
dextructor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 23:31    Post subject: Intelbras WRN 240 with DD-WRT Reply with quote
Hello DD-WRT Comunity!

Greetings from Brazil. I have an router from Intelbras model WRN 240, after opening the case and look the chips I see that the layout is practaly a copy of TP-Link WR741ND (http://wiki.openwrt.org/_media/toh/tp-link/wr741nd-09-serial-pins.jpg) but the specifications is exactly same of WR740N

CPU: Atheros AR7240
SDRAM: Zentel A3S56D40FTP-G5
Flash: Spansion FL032PIF

But every file that I try to flash to DD-WRT firmware of 740 or 741 give me an error 18005. The original firmware file link (http://www.intelbras.com.br/arquivos/index.php?id=2689&idm=1&count=1)

Technically this router is compatible with DD-WRT, can you help me with this?

Thanks!
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is an OEM version of WR743 v1, I will make a file for it some time next week and put it in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
WOW! Shocked

Thanks LOM for the quick answer. I´ll wait the file!
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got some spare time already today..

Upload the file via tp-link web gui firmware update page, wait 5 minutes for router to flash and reboot.

You will then find the dd-wrt web gui on 192.168.1.1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM

Thanks! Very Happy
I´ve flashed this firmware after the procedure works perfectly! I have to reassemble again but I´ll do the tests today, and post the results!

You guys rock!
dextructor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM

I´ve been testing for 3 hours downloading, torrent, games and the performance was outstanding, nothing less to expect from DD-WRT. The only issue was the signal strenght that was too weak comparing to my previous router Belkin model F5D7230-4 with a tiny antenna and this with a 5dBi don´t cover a half of distance. So i decided to try reverse DD-WRT firmware to stock, but I´ve got an error, and as you said that my hardware was an OEM version of WR743 I try to flash and works, but the signal is the same and everything is working, but I can´t flash again DD-WRT. Can you help me to solve this 2 problems: Weak signal and, flash again DD-WRT?

Thanks again!
dextructor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM

After a few hours trying to understand I realized that since I was able to reverse WR743, I´ll be able to upgrade WR743 firmware. Upgrade happened without previous errors(I´ve realized that i got the wrong firmware on the previous post Confused) I´ve been trying various revisions since 17990(the first available in DD-WRT FTP) to the last revision 19519. But the signal still weak, in the "System information" the "TX Power" is fixed in 17dBm no matter what i put in the wireless configuration. I´ve managed to increase to 18 dBm when selected channel 13. Independently of firmware revision "TX Power" and "Antenna Gain" values that I put don´t change at all.

Any help is apreciated! Thanks again. Mr. Green
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is not much to do about the tx power, it is a hardware limitation in combination with regulatory domain limits.
Your Belkin router is from an era when regulatory domains were not in use and routers had generally a higher output.
Do also keep in mind that the 743N is a very cheap entry-level router which you can't expect too much from.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM

Thanks for the reply. Anyway I´ve been looking to the manufacturer specifications in the website and says that the power is 100mW and the power with antenna is 20dBm at 150 Mbps. Is anything wrong with the firmware or the hardware? Below is the manufacturer website.

http://www.intelbras.com.br/Produtos/Redes/Redes-sem-fio/Roteadores/WRN-240-Roteador-Wireless-N-150-Mbps
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
dextructor wrote:
LOM

Thanks for the reply. Anyway I´ve been looking to the manufacturer specifications in the website and says that the power is 100mW and the power with antenna is 20dBm at 150 Mbps. Is anything wrong with the firmware or the hardware? Below is the manufacturer website.

http://www.intelbras.com.br/Produtos/Redes/Redes-sem-fio/Roteadores/WRN-240-Roteador-Wireless-N-150-Mbps

They may pretend to be the manufacturer but they are not, they are merely one of TP-Link's many OEM customers.
The WR743ND is sold under many different brand names and can be bought for as low as $23 at one of the internet "bargain outlet" shops..

TP-Links own specification for the router is
" < 20dBm(EIRP)" which with a 5dBi antenna is the same as 17-18 dBm transmitter power.
It is also the same as Intelbras saying that the "power with antenna is 20dBm" (except that TP-Link specifies it as less or equal to 20dBm).

You can, since it didn't reach any further away with OEM or TP-Link firmware, be sure that this is a hardware limitation of the router and dd-wrt can't do anything about that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello from Brasil!

I´m have a Intelbras WRN 240 and want test dd-wrt, where find the file to upgrade?

thanks!!!
daufemback
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
after login, file appears

will test and report here
daufemback
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
The trouble with my intelbras wrn 240 is that wireless lan is not detected on any device, like ipad, android phone and notebook. Updating for dd-wrt firmware, found in this page, router are in the same state....

someone knows if is a hardware problem?

thanks
TangoGV
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 17:30    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote
Hello gentlemen, LOM.

I'm writing with the sole purpose of saying a big thanks to you and the DD-WRT Team.

I needed a router with functionalities that I knew I would find in DD-WRT, and because of the thread it was easy picking the Intelbras WRN 240, a BRL 72,00 router (~USD 35,00) and boosting its features to a USD 200,00 device.

Thank you.

(On a side note, in my early times with DD-WRT I had to use even TFTP. Things are too easy these days. The world is boring. (just kidding)).
faccenda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello everyone, specially LOM,

Firstly, I'd like to thank LOM and all the DD-WRT community for being able to use DD-WRT on a cheap router like this one.

I've flashed the file LOM made available in this thread and worked like a charm.

The idea of using this router is to connect a desktop to the network and as a repeater for the rest of the apartment.

At first I've tried to use WDS, but I read that Atheros chipsets don't work well with it so, I configured the main router (TL-WR1043ND, also Atheros based) as AP with WPA2 Personal and the Intelbras as client adding a VAP using the same ESSID, password and authentication. It's been working well for more than a month.

Second, I'd like to report a problem. I'm looking for help since I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

Yesterday there where a power glitch (I don't know exactly why) in my apartment. The computer turned off, but apparently the router didn't.

When the computer rebooted (connected with a cable on one of the LAN ports), I could use the connection with no problem.

But the WiFi devices I had (all Android based: 2 phones and 1 tablet) where getting a "Authentication problem" message.

Tried disabling the VAP and they could connect using the main router (but the signal in the room is weak).

Tried the 30-30-30 reset to put the device at factory defaults and reconfigure everything again. No luck.

As work as Linux administrator for while, I went to command line through SSH and tried to understand what is going on.

It seems that the ath0 interface can't join the bridge. It connects, authenticates (I can even ping the main router from the secondary router, but not from the desktop), but with the mentioned configuration the ath0 interface don't join the bridge (also tried to force it using brctl).

I also have a good understanding of networking, bridges, routes, etc... so feel free to ask any detail you wish. The message is already long so, I'll wait for anyone that can help.

So, any clue?

Thanks in advance,
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: