deploying a second dhcp server within the same subnet

lichung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 17:06    Post subject: deploying a second dhcp server within the same subnet Reply with quote
I intend to follow the steps on this wiki [url]Wireless Access Point[/url] with the exception to use the WAP as a second DHCP server. Here's the network configuration:

[Main router 192.168.1.1]---LAN(WLAN disabled)---clients of DHCP1
||
LAN
||
[Second router 192.168.1.2]--LAN+WLAN--clients of DHCP2

-DHCP1 refers to the standard DHCP server running on the main router stock firmware assigning 192.168.1.11 to 192.168.1.20
-DHCP2 refers to the dnsmasq DHCP server running on the second router with DD-WRT assigning 192.168.1.21 to 192.168.1.30

And here's what I am going to setup my second router:
-Setup -> Basic Setup -> enable "Use DNSMasq for DHCP", "Use DNSMasq for DNS" and uncheck "DHCP-Authoritative"
-Services -> Services -> enable DNSMasq, Local DNS and
No DNS Rebind and fill in "Additional DNSMasq Options" with:
server=/aaa.com/8.8.8.8

All I want to do is to have dnsmasq settings of the second router apply only to clients connecting to the second router. So for clients connecting directly to the main router they would use the DNS server provided by DHCP1 to resolve aaa.com as well as all other domain names. And for clients connecting to the second router aaa.com is to be resolved by DNS server 8.8.8.8 while all other domain names are handled by the DNS server provided by DHCP2.

Could anyone tell me if the above configuration works like this?
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: