Netgear WNDR3300 as Extender

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
D. Strout
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 22:28    Post subject: Netgear WNDR3300 as Extender Reply with quote
Disclaimer: I have tried my utmost to read all the announcements and find the pertinent info for my case. I feel like if I don't say that, then if I accidentally got one little thing wrong I will be ripped apart. So, with that out of the way, here's my issue:
As the title says, I have a Netgear WNDR3300 router which I am trying to use to extend the connection to a base router. I flashed DD-WRT v24-sp2 mini build 14929, following to the best of my abilities the instructions in the peacock thread. Everything went OK as far as I can tell, after power cycling it then doing the 30/30/30 reset, I changed the password and got in to the DD-WRT interface. To be clear yet again: I did everything according to the instructions, using the build recommended in the announcements, and the DD-WRT install went fine, resulting in a fully usable interface.

With that out of the way, I set up repeating per the instructions at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wlan_Repeater (virtual interface security same as main router security). However, when I try to connect to the new wireless network that appears (yes, one does appear with the name I specified for the virtual interface), the connection remains "limited", not connecting to the outside web, or to the WNDR3300 extender. This is actually quite annoying: after setting up the extender, if it doesn't work (which it has yet to) there doesn't appear to any way to get back in to the router to change its config, except for a full 30/30/30 reset. Trying to connect on 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.1.1 gives me a timeout, both wired and wirelessly.

If you check the supported devices page, you can see that the WNDR3300 has two radios, so I'm wondering if that changes how I should configure this thing. Also, on the WLAN repeater page, the last Tip/Gotcha/Problem mentions the WNDR330. Is this a typo for WNDR3300? In any case, I have given the router a couple of hard reboots like that tip suggests, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Also worth noting is that I don't have access to the base router (apartment situation), which uses WEP encryption (yeah, I know, nothing I can do about it though). The WNDR3300's WAN port is not working.
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: