dd-wrt compatible DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem?

tucansam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:37    Post subject: dd-wrt compatible DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem? Reply with quote
Gang,

I presently have a Cisco DPC3825. I'm happy with it overall, but I'd like to be able to tweak traffic with QoS. Specifically, even on a 30mbps cable connection, if any user in the house is watching Netflix, it kills downloads (intermittent drops) for everyone else. I've had a cable tech come out and re-ran wiring and improved my signal strength, and simplified my network completely (removed a content filter and a WiFi bridge running dd-wrt) and the problem is still present. On top of that, I just want the functionality and flexibility on dd-wrt on my cable modem.

I don't think dd-wrt is available on my Cisco, or at least it wasn't the last time I checked. My modem has a four-port gig switch built in, along with WiFi, both of which I need. So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, with integrated WiFi and switch, and will run dd-wrt?

Thanks.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
dd-wrt doesn't run on DOCSIS modems.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem (and gateway) and an E3000 behind it. The wireless is faster via the E3000 than via the cable modem. However, in most cases I use a cable connection to my E3000, which is even faster. My only problem is that Windows 7 does not love routers (it downloads slower than XP, Mac OS or Linux).

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
My only problem is that Windows 7 does not love routers (it downloads slower than XP, Mac OS or Linux).

I have to correct this: SABnzbd does not use full bandwidth on Windows 7 (I don't know about XP, since that already used Newsleecher). Using Newsleecher ensures a higher download speed on Windows 7, besides it offers a stable download speed.

On Ubuntu SABnzbd runs faster than on Windows 7. It is true that Ubuntu uses an older version of SABnzbd.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: