RT-N66 CFE Thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
totalimpact
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:47    Post subject: having trouble with CFE Reply with quote
I just picked up a new n66u, it is showing weird CFE:
Code:
 cat /dev/mtd0 | grep ver
pmon_ver=CFE 5.100.138.20
bl_version=1.0.1.9

I flashed it to dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx using the asus firmware update.

on reboot I did nvram erase, but can only access it via wifi, no wired, the hardware also shows:
Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS

UPDATE:
After holding the reset button to get in to the recovery web page, I cleared the nvram settings on that page and it started working.
Sponsor
kbb_bkk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:03    Post subject: Re: Initial flash looking for clarification Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
mrlint wrote:
Looking over the instructions here :
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php?title=Asus_RT-N66U#New_K3.X_Builds

Is says I can flash the mega, it seems to imply over the stock. However further down it says to flash the trx via the web, however that links to a 2.6 mini, and also that link is broken.

Do I start with the 21676 k3 mega? (as there seems to be no k3 mini), use the latest mega (23919), use the 2.6 mini and go to the newest k3 mega.

I know the initial flashes can be tricky, and I really really do not want to brick this. I appreciate the info. Is there an approved way to update the wiki so that perhaps I can add the info I find out?

Flash this first through the asus update page ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/05-27-2013-r21676/broadcom_K3X-EXPERIMENTAL/dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x-big-RT-N66U.trx
Then flash this http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC/23900/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_OLDD.bin

Reset to factory defaults or telnet erase nvram, reboot. Done.

I'm trying to figure out what steps I need to take.
I currently have the RT-N66 with the latest Merlin build (3.0.0.4.376.47) and my CFE is 1.0.1.2. From the looks of the latest posts, I do NOT need to update the CFE to 1.0.1.9. Is that correct?

Next thing I would need to do to get DD-WRT is to load this firmware through the ASUS gui:
dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx
Is that correct?

After that I erase the nvram and reboot. Is that correct?

I'm confused because it seems like at some point I need to flash in the .bin file as well. But I can't seem to figure out if it's truly needed and which file would be next.

Any help is truly appreciated!

Thanks.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's correct. If you are happy with the initial flash, stay there. This file worked best for me. http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/23900/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_OLDD.bin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
That's correct. If you are happy with the initial flash, stay there. This file worked best for me. http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt-ren/K3-AC/23900/dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_OLDD.bin

Thanks Malachi!!

I will try it out and see.
kbb_bkk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:

No luck. I tried multiple files and multiple methods (gui, restore firmware, telnet) and after loading the file, I can't get back into the router (web gui, telnet, etc.).

For some reason it just doesn't look like it likes the file I'm loading. I've tried:
dd-wrt.v24-21676_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_RT-N66U.trx
dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_OLDD.bin

Has anyone been successful with these files?

Also, could it be my CFE? I have a 1.0.1.2.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
After you flash the k3.x trailed build, log into the router wirelessly. Then telnet and erase nvram and reboot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
After you flash the k3.x trailed build, log into the router wirelessly. Then telnet and erase nvram and reboot.

After hours and hours and hours of trying, I finally got it to work! Thanks Malachi!

I used the file you provided, dd-wrt.v24-K3_AC_OLDD.bin.

Also for others out there, I had to set the router to restore and then load the file through that process (not the normal web gui/firmware update process).
jlechner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey guys. Been tinkering with one of these myself.
Mine wouldn't hold custom firmware. Either there would be kernel panics or the router would read mismatches in the firmware sizes.
After a LOT of serial flashes to basically any partition I could read from serial info, I took the plunge and tried an nvram erase (I know I know). It worked fine several times, then it finally didn't. So my nvram is gone = no boot/cfe (same as user above a few)
Any hoo, I'm all set for a jtag, however I can't seem to find any information on the pin out. It's a 14 pin, of which googling yields many different combinations. I tried the most popular one, and get "TDO seems to be stuck at 1" read back. I'm assuming my cables are incorrect. Using a parallel cable/lpt port.
Anyone have any insight on what the pin out is? Or how I can find out for myself?
Thanks

edit: here is the jtag http://img.mydigit.net/Mon_1506/88_1141928_3506a177a4f7617.jpg?239
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Google rt-n66u jtag.
You will need to use openocd.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Google rt-n66u jtag.
You will need to use openocd.

I don't know why I didn't even think of that.

Pity tjtag is no longer responding to purchase requests.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can give you the link to download it but it won't do any good. Tjtag doesn't work on it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
I can give you the link to download it but it won't do any good. Tjtag doesn't work on it.

Ah. I'm assuming then that no other jtag software will even detect the router except OpenOCD?

Thanks for your help btw.

Also, the rt-n66u jtag uses nTRST, but according to general info on Linksys routers you should not use it. Thoughts?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
No thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
No thoughts.

Welp, OpenOCD was beyond my level. I couldn't even get it up and running.
I ended up realizing I had an EA6200 anyways.
I have a Tumpa now which, while neat, gives me zero progress on this.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
You confused your ea6200 with an rt-n66u? How is that possible?

Navigation

Jump to: