Cannot set Disable "Wireless GUI Access" (R7000)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
cmdrbuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:40    Post subject: Cannot set Disable "Wireless GUI Access" (R7000) Reply with quote
Hello!

Router/Version: Netgear R7000/DD-WRT v3.0-r47942 std (12/30/21)
File/Kernel: netgear-r7000-webflash.bin/Linux 4.4.297 #4822 SMP Thu Dec 30 09:57:31 +07 2021 armv7l
Previous/Reset: factory-to-dd-wrt.chk/DD-WRT v3.0-r47925 std (12/28/21)
Mode/Status: Primary Gateway connected to cable modem, LAN, Wireless AP, DHCP Server, Use DNSMasq for DNS, DHCP-Authoritative, NTP Client set to 216.239.35.0 (time.google.com), DDNS Disabled, MAC Clone Disabled, Dynamic Routing Disabled, IPv6 Disabled, Bridge br0 has eth1, eth2, vlan1 with STP/IGMP off, No Tunneling
Error: Unable to change Wireless GUI Access from Enabled to Disable after <Save> or <Apply Settings>

Last week I factory reset the Netgear R7000 modem (pushed in reset for 10 seconds), used the Web GUI to install factory-to-dd-wrt.chk/DD-WRT v3.0-r47925 std (12/28/21) with reseting to factory defaults again.

Everything appeared fine. I followed the guides pretty much as I went along to set up the gateway with hdcp. rebooted and was able to access the internet. I then went thru setting up wl0 and wl1 which seemed to go fine as well... i was able to connect to wifi.

Next I added wl0.1/wl1.1 and wl0.2/wl1.2 as VAPs. After setting up their passwords I noticed I had never set them to Disable GUI Access.

When I tried to change the VAPs to Disable it would not save to Disabled it always went back to Enabled. Then I checked the regular wl0/wl1 and neither would save to Disabled either. Since I was already ported over now to DD-WRT I downloaded the 12/28/21 Netgear-r7000-webflash.bin/
I did another hard reset to flash to defaults and used the Web GUI to install the bin file. After boot I logged in and did a GUI Defaults flash. And after the reboot to be sure I did another physical reset.

This time i immediately went in to see if the wifi settings would allow me to change either wl0/wl1 to Disaable WebGUI Access. And neither worked.

By now the latest version was out, so i figured I'd try a different release.... <hard reset><upgrade thru web gui to 12/30/21 bin><hard reset>. Still the same issue. I kept reading about a possible problem with this but it seems to exist and was fixed or it was fixed but it didnt take. Last I checked it appeared "Solved". So I went ahead with most of my reconfiguring up to before creating the VAPs thinking worst case id have to set up iptables to work around it.

I have tried using Firefox in a private window with https and extensions off. I also downloaded a portable version of Pale Moon (I am running on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS) and disabled everything that was suggested (history, search, etc.) Nothing will let me save that one setting to disabled, i turned off the SPI firewall on DD-WRT but have not tried disabling ubuntus very basic ufw firewall I am running.

I can add images of my wifi settings but they are pretty much exactly out of the guides for Basic Wireless Settings and Advanced Wireless Settings from the sticky for my Broadcom router. Currently I can connect and maintain connections on both wl0 and wl1 and of course I can also access the gui Wink
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the output of nvram show | grep web_filter via telnet/ssh? All of your wireless interfaces should have them set to 0 to disable it if the settings took. You can manually set the variables with nvram set and test. If that doesn't work, let us know.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
hurleyp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see the same issue with my R7000 running build 47942. Wireless tab > Basic Settings > Wireless GUI Access > Disable for both wl0 and wl1. Click Save, and Disable reverts to Enable for both.

Running nvram show | grep web_filter gives:
size: 39520 bytes (26016 left)
wl0_web_filter=1
wl1_web_filter=1
wl0.1_web_filter=1

I'll try manually setting these options when I have some time to experiment.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Somehow, I knew reversing the logic would break something. Going to send BrainSlayer an email. This is *with* a hard reset via nvram erase && reboot, correct? Wondering if saving with "enabled" first, then saving with "disabled" selected will fix this or using CTRL+F5. Anyhow, email sent.

----------------------
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
hurleyp wrote:
I see the same issue with my R7000 running build 47942. Wireless tab > Basic Settings > Wireless GUI Access > Disable for both wl0 and wl1. Click Save, and Disable reverts to Enable for both.

Running nvram show | grep web_filter gives:
size: 39520 bytes (26016 left)
wl0_web_filter=1
wl1_web_filter=1
wl0.1_web_filter=1

I'll try manually setting these options when I have some time to experiment.

no. the nvram param has just reverse behaviour. 1 means gui access is allowed. 0 means its not allowed. i had to change the parameter behaviour

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Clear your browser cache or use CTRL+F5 or similar to override your cache. I just checked my R7000P and there is no issue with this, and I did no reset of any kind. There is no wifi access to webUI for me with it disabled. Worst case is that you have to do at least a factory reset if not a hard reset, but I didn't have to do either on any Broadcom devices.

----------------------
cmdrbuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Clear your browser cache or use CTRL+F5 or similar to override your cache. I just checked my R7000P and there is no issue with this, and I did no reset of any kind. There is no wifi access to webUI for me with it disabled. Worst case is that you have to do at least a factory reset if not a hard reset, but I didn't have to do either on any Broadcom devices.

I did a full factory and nvram reset again and still am unable to change through the WebUI from Enabled to Disabled. I am using a portable version of Pale Moon browser with history, cache, etc turned off. I get the same results using firefox.

If I choose Disabled and select <Save> or <Apply Settings> it goes back to Enabled. Checking immediately after with nvram show | grep web_filter:

size: 36282 bytes (29254 left)
ping_ip=nvram show | grep web_filter
wl0_web_filter=1
wl1_web_filter=1

Last edited by cmdrbuck on Tue Jan 04, 2022 22:46; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think I even messed with this setting on my R7000P (meaning wireless webUI access had been enabled the whole time and the variable was 0, not 1). If you had set it to disable access previously, the variable will be 1, which now enables access. Try "save", change the setting, then "save". Something is obviously overriding your input. If that doesn't work, do an nvram erase && reboot via telnet/ssh and reconfigure from scratch with no nvram backup loaded. NOTE: A hard reset should *NOT* be required for this to work.

----------------------
cmdrbuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I don't think I even messed with this setting on my R7000P (meaning wireless webUI access had been enabled the whole time and the variable was 0, not 1). If you had set it to disable access previously, the variable will be 1, which now enables access. Try "save", change the setting, then "save". Something is obviously overriding your input. If that doesn't work, do an nvram erase && reboot via telnet/ssh and reconfigure from scratch with no nvram backup loaded. NOTE: A hard reset should *NOT* be required for this to work.

This is all new conversion and install from the past week from Netgear to DD-WRT. This feature has never been disabled previously. It was ensabled on the last firmware which was where i noticed it would not change as well.

Im attaching my syslog as its got an error in ir having to do with attaching to the bridge (well I tried to add it, I get an error Extension is not allowed)

Jan 4 16:56:32 DD-WRT daemon.info mstpd[702]: error, CTL_set_cist_bridge_config: Couldn't find bridge with index 29
Jan 4 16:56:32 DD-WRT daemon.info mstpd[702]: error, CTL_set_cist_bridge_config: Couldn't find bridge with index 29
Jan 4 16:56:32 DD-WRT daemon.info mstpd[702]: error, CTL_set_msti_bridge_config: Couldn't find bridge with index 29
Jan 4 16:56:32 DD-WRT user.info : [bridge] : bridge br0 successfully added
Jan 4 16:56:32 DD-WRT kern.info kernel: device br0 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 4 16:56:32 DD-WRT user.info : [bridge] : interface vlan1 successfully added to bridge br0
Jan 4 16:56:32 DD-WRT kern.info kernel: device vlan1 entered promiscuous mode
Jan 4 16:56:32 DD-WRT kern.info kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entered forwarding state
cmdrbuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

With telnet:
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram erase
root@DD-WRT:~# reboot
root@DD-WRT:~# Connection closed by foreign host.

And then after the reboot:
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep web_filter
size: 33265 bytes (32271 left)
wl0_web_filter=1
wl1_web_filter=1

I log into the WebGUI and change wl0 Access to Web GUI from Enabled to Disabled
<Save> reverts back to Enabled.
Same happens with <Apply Settings>
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Try "save", change the setting, then "save". NOTE: A hard reset should *NOT* be required for this to work.

The only thing I could see here is doing initial flash with older release where the variable values were opposite, then webflash upgrade without reset.

----------------------
cmdrbuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Try "save", change the setting, then "save". NOTE: A hard reset should *NOT* be required for this to work.

The only thing I could see here is doing initial flash with older release where the variable values were opposite, then webflash upgrade without reset.

How far back was this? Recommend a release and I'll try it.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
47874. Flash that, set a webUI password, then webflash without reset, then report back and let us know if it worked going that route.

----------------------
cmdrbuck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
47874. Flash that, set a webUI password, then webflash without reset, then report back and let us know if it worked going that route.

No difference.

Before I flashed back to the current release this was still in nvram even though the WebUI had no option in either Basic or Advanced Settings to enable/disable:
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep web_filter
size: 33265 bytes (32271 left)
wl0_web_filter=1
wl1_web_filter=1

I reflashed with the most recent bin and I see the Enable/Disable options under Basic Settings for Wireless GUI Access.

Changing from Enabled to Disabled still does nothing after selecting Save or Apply Settings. It goes back to Enabled.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTRL+F5, clear cache, reload the page. Disable all your extensions and add-ons, use private browsing. If it won't work in the webUI, do nvram unset on the vars and reboot or nvram set, whichever. I am not finding any reason that this won't work.

----------------------
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: