ASUS RT-N66U am i doing this correctly? won't flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
nimar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:23    Post subject: ASUS RT-N66U am i doing this correctly? won't flash Reply with quote
Quote:
The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set dd-wrt back to default values:

With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds (please note that this step can put Asus devices into recovery mode...see note below!)

This procedure should be done BEFORE and AFTER every firmware upgrade/downgrade.

Do not use configuration restore if you change firmware builds (different svn build numbers).

[NOTE] - For Asus units, the standard 30/30/30 method will reset the router but you will need to use the Restore button followed by a Power cycle. The only exception (so far) is the RT-N16 model, follow the same method as stated above but use the WPS button instead of the Restore button. If all else fails to reset you can also do it by command line (all units). Login to the router via telnet/ssh and issue the command "erase nvram". This will reset the nvram partition to defaults for this Make of router.....redhawk

So that is:
use the reset button for the 30/30/30? OR use the restore button for the 30/30/30?

Once completed then press the restore button THEN pull the power and power back up with out holding the restore button?

Thanks

-N
Sponsor
X-TraxxX
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
For Asus units, the standard 30/30/30 method will reset the router but you will need to use the Restore button followed by a Power cycle.

The Asus RT-N16 is the only asus router thus far that you can use the WPS button to clear the nvram. All other asus routers use the Restore Button.

I myself had to read it a couple of times to make sure.

Note: Seeing as I have an Asus RT-N16, I know for a fact that when I use the WPS button it clears the nvram. So you should do the opposite by using the retore button.
Nebudchanezzer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can reset nvram om the N66U via the WPS-button too, I have done it several times.

Just power off the router, press and hold the WPS-button and power it on again, the power-LED will start to flash rapidly then you release the WPS-button.
The unit will reboot it self with the nvram reset to default.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: