Milkfish as "helper"

ITbyfire
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 16:45    Post subject: Milkfish as "helper" Reply with quote
Hi all. I am having voip issues with latency(>2 seconds)Calls are laughable.Its a new network I set up to bypass some mangled up landline com wire. My network is this. CISCO papt2 hardwired to>WHR HPG54>repeater bridged>TP-Link TL-WR741ND hardwired to >Motorola Canopy 8 900mhz SM to Canopy 8 AP>HP Big!@@ router>T3(internet)

The bridge routers have V24 SP2 MEGA 13069 flashed to them. My link speed/signal are good (60-80% signal quality)and on the G standard. (over ~150 ft) The canopy 8 link has been optimized for priority and is performing well.(showing 1.5km distance) Im thinking its the double nat of canopy 8 (requires NAT in my setup) and the tp link NAT needed for the repeater bridge. I need the WHR HP G54 to have a VAP for employees servicing equipment or else I would just do WDS setup.

I have ported in to the whr hp g54 and speed tested http with good bandwidth and 100~15Oms latency(not great but ok). The phone only has issues.

My question is this. Will milkfish act as a helper for navigating the NATs without setting up SIP server information? I have read EVERY post on the milkfish forums (pretty much dead now)and cant find an answer. Milkfish has a feature called drive by registration that captures SIP/RTS routing to help things along. Will this help? this system cant go down for more than a hour and Im afraid Ill break the network if I do something rash.

Our IT guy got fired and Im trying to fill in. My IT experiences are with personal gear and small home networks. Im self training right now but starting to feel like im over my head. Thanks if anybody can help.

EDIT: I have taken another papt2 and connected it to the HP switch. Calls ok. I have taken the same and and ported into the tp link and delay is more pronounced than hp port but negligible. Something in the repeater bridge.
Sponsor
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 21:59    Post subject: Re: Milkfish as "helper" Reply with quote
ITbyfire wrote:
My question is this. Will milkfish act as a helper for navigating the NATs without setting up SIP server information? I have read EVERY post on the milkfish forums (pretty much dead now)and cant find an answer. Milkfish has a feature called drive by registration that captures SIP/RTS routing to help things along. Will this help? this system cant go down for more than a hour and Im afraid Ill break the network if I do something rash.

Our IT guy got fired and Im trying to fill in. My IT experiences are with personal gear and small home networks. Im self training right now but starting to feel like im over my head. Thanks if anybody can help.

For VoIP you have two things: the signaling and the multimedia stream. milkfish is going to help you on the signaling, but no way it can help you with the voice per se, you have to pin point where your latency is cumuling up, temporaly moving end points, perhaps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: