Client Mode and wireless bridge

faccenda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 0:18    Post subject: Client Mode and wireless bridge Reply with quote
I am facing a problem and trying to figure out what is happening I noticed that whenever I put my router on Client Mode the wireless interface (ath0) don't join the default bridge. This doesn't happen when I put in AP mode.

In my understanding, in the default behavior it should join the br0 bridge. Is it correct?

Assuming it is, I tried to force the interface to join the bridge with the command "brctl addif br0 ath0" I get the following output:

can't add ath0 to bridge br0: Operation not supported

So, does anyone have any tip on how to add the ath0 device to the bridge?

To use the connection I needed to manually add an IP address on the ath0 interface (which was properly associated with the main AP) and add a MASQUERADE NAT rule.

But I actually would like to achieve a Client Mode + VAP configuration.

For instance, the router is the one mentioned in the following thread:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=160263

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
Spider84
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you resolve this problem?
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I am facing a problem and trying to figure out what is happening I noticed that whenever I put my router on Client Mode
the wireless interface (ath0) don't join the default bridge. This doesn't happen when I put in AP mode.

This is normal behaviour. LAN(ethernet) ports of the router and wifi interface are in the same bridge named br0. In this way clients connected via wifi
and clients connected via cable (UTP) can see each other.

In Client mode the radio interface (wifi) is used to connect the internet-facing side of the router (i.e., the WAN) as a client to a remote accesspoint.
NAT or routing are performed between WAN and LAN, like in "normal" gateway or router mode. This mode is used,
when internet connection is provided by a remote accesspoint, and you want to connect a subnet of your own to it.
To acomplish this ddwrt unbridges ath0 radio interface from bridge br0 so in this way your LAN is protected by NAT although this is not purpose of NAT.
If you simply want to have wireless, beside ethernet, in your LAN just add VAP ath0.1 and bridge it to br0... in this way you will have "atheros repeater"...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: