wifi antenna upgrade

uzer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 15:47    Post subject: wifi antenna upgrade Reply with quote
Hi,

Im new to the forums, but here it goes.

I have installed ddwrt on my router and I am planning on getting a 1W signal amp and a 10 or 12 dbi antenna, because I have multiple (router)repeaters but they do not cover the whole house (there are some thick walls in some areas), so I would like to just upgrade one router with a powerful omni directional antenna

The omni directional antenna would be positioned in the center of the house, a portable device/computer will not have to travel that far to be within reach the router, it should easily be within its inner most radius of the wifi signal, so surely there should be enough transmission power on both sides, right?

I know the main problem with this theory is that devices will have a tough time sending signals back, but if I reduce the TX power of the antenna (I noticed there is a setting for the TX power in the menu), the router would mainly focus on receiving the signal. Since both TX and RX are being broadcasted from the same antenna, it should compensate for computers/devices weaker wifi cards. Speed is not the issue either as we are in south africa, and the best speed we can hope for from our ISP is about 400-500kb/s. The important thing is getting full wifi bars at all times.

Also just to clarify, the signal amp is a separate unit and increases the power to the antenna. it is a bi directional amp so it increases both tx and rx power
(here are the specifications of the amplifier:

Operating range : 2400-2500MHz
* Operating Mode: Bi-directional, half-duplex and auto-switching
* Transmit Gain: 20dB
* Transmit Input Power: Range from +5dBm to +20 dBm. Normally +10dBm (10mW)
* Output Power: 30dBm (1000mW)
* Receive Gain: 12dB
* Receive Noise Figure: 3dB
* FR Connector: +RP-SMA reciprocal
* Impedance: 50 ohm)

I have colleagues, and friends of friends, who all tell me how much better a strong antenna is, how their wifi reaches to their basement and attic once they upgraded.

I hope this wasnt too confusing. Do upgraded antennas provide better coverage? Does it seem like my idea will work? Should i get a 10 or 12 dbi antenna? will a 12 dbi antenna be too powerful with a 1W signal amp?

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: