Location of firmware for Rosewill RNX-N150RT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Shryp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigBadBrad wrote:
There is a new r20453 release in the 2013 folder here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/01-01-2013-r20453/rosewill-rnx-n150rt/

Anyone that notices random reboots care to try and see if it's fixed?

I am still using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/20/12) std - build 19519.

Time: 21:55:41 up 21 days, 18:42, load average: 0.22, 0.11, 0.13

No random reboot issues. When I first flashed it I had about 6 days uptime and then we had a power outage that caused it to turn off, and now it is at 3 weeks uptime.
Sponsor
BigBadBrad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been running r20453 using client bridge & an additional virtual AP for the last 16 hours with no reboots.

I did notice that after flashing from the stock firmware and starting to mess with settings, the unit became unresponsive and I had to use the reset switch. But after clearing settings again with that method it seemed to work alright.

The 1-4 port indicator LEDs don't seem to work, but meh, who cares.
Trlsd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigBadBrad wrote:
Been running r20453 using client bridge & an additional virtual AP for the last 16 hours with no reboots.

I did notice that after flashing from the stock firmware and starting to mess with settings, the unit became unresponsive and I had to use the reset switch. But after clearing settings again with that method it seemed to work alright.

Thats good to hear. Smile
tcatnat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
BigBadBrad wrote:

Hello, I'm new here and getting ready to install DD-WRT on the Rosewill rnx-n150rt. Has the r20453 build still been stable for you? I ask because I want to use this router as a repeater (with a DLink DIR-655) and after reading this thread it sounds like there are issues with previous builds. Also, after reading through the various info and peacock I am actually paranoid now about doing this and potentially bricking the router. Everything I've read about DD-WRT over the years has made it sound pretty easy to install and configure until I read peacock, LOL.

I have downloaded the r20453 build and plan on using the instructions in this thread to flash and make it a repeater. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

And just to confirm; because peacock has got me paranoid, since it's browser based I can do this from a MacBook Air using Chrome correct? I do have a Windows 7 machine also but the MBA is my main laptop.
BigBadBrad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't been running it - it's my hot standby router as i bought it to replace an older rosewill I installed for a customer.

But at least while I was testing it, it seemed fine. As always, YMMV but if it does have issues, they're not severe enough to prevent use at least with the devices I had connected.

The worst kind of bug is one where the router stops responding and doesn't reset without a power cycle - there's no way to test for this without running it an extended time, but even this wasn't happening with the older versions.

I don't think you will have problems using chrome to configure it - I used firefox.

Make sure you have javascript turned on for the web config, and if you use firefox at least, I recommend completely closing out firefox first and using a fresh instance - at least on older firefox on linux, this fixes an issue where settings don't save properly. I have no idea why it would behave like this, but it seems common to all dd-wrt.

If you can still get this router for a good price, go for it, it's already sold out on newegg.

There has also been a 2nd dd-wrt version release in 2013 already so you've got a couple possibilities if you do run into problems.
tcatnat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks BigBadBrad, I had purchased the Rosewill from Newegg back in December for $15 and have just not had a chance to get it set up. I downloaded the latest (2nd) build for it in the 2013 folder.

Thanks for the Java comment, I will need to use windows for this as I don't trust Java on the Mac with Apple's lock down.
dinga6969
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 21:43    Post subject: Access point not working Reply with quote
Trlsd wrote:
Shryp wrote:
I just got one of these routers and flashed mine successfully. I too had trouble finding any type of documentation on this model router.

Here is where I downloaded the files.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/07-20-12-r19519/rosewill-rnx-n150rt/

Here is a list of other builds, but I chose the newest without the -testing suffix just because I figured it might be more stable.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/

Here were my steps:
1) download both files
2) 30/30/30 reset
3) flash the factory-to-ddwrt file
4) 30/30/30 reset
5) flash the -webflash file
6) 30/30/30 reset
7) setup and enjoy

I don't think I needed to install the second webflash file, but with no documentation, I wasn't sure if the first file was a full install or just something to overwrite the boot loader. I noticed no differences in the software after the second flash.

No major problems, I did notice the CPU displays as 350 MHz in all the display places on the web GUI. The supported devices wiki lists this router at 400 MHz. I am not sure if Rosewill was overclocking it or DD-WRT is underclocking it, but it does run a lot less hotter now. Regardless of that, it is still much more responsive than my other 2 routers ( WRT54G v5 and v8 ) running micro versions of DD-WRT.

The wireless radio is showing unknown channel, but no issues other than a bad display value. That was a common complaint in the thread dedicated to the 19519 build.

The LED lights all seem to work fine.

I can confirm that the above instructions work for the Rnx-N150RT . The problem I ran into is that in order to make it a 'repeater', one has to make a 'client' and then add a 'virtual access point' or Vap. The firmware above '07-20-12-r19519' does not allow the Vap to connect for some reason. After looking in more threads, it appears that the testing version works if making a repeater. So I tried the latest testing version:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/10-12-12-r20119-testing/rosewill-rnx-n150rt/

This time the Vap connected.

For making a repeater, I followed the following instructions after installing the above testing version of dd-wrt:

1) Make a Client first
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode_Wireless

2) Add a virtual access point (under virtual interfaces).

More detailed instructions with pics were found here:

http://electrodisc.com/dd-wrt/atheros/repeater.htm

So far, its working as a repeater. My question is that is it possible to add more than one virtual interface with different securities? I tried to do that, but connection to the second interface would fail. Also, is there a way to get OpenVPN working on it?

The revert file has been posted here, if anyone needs it:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=684281#684281

You have to login to the forums to download it.

Other threads on the RNX-N150RT for reference:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165561

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165372

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165631

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=165189

The router appears as a TP-Link TL-WR741ND v1 in the dd-wrt system information page.

It'd be nice to put this in the wiki, if anyone has time.

Hi, I greatly appreciate the help that I've already received by reading these posts. I do have an issue with the VAP portion of the setup though. To give you a little background I am using the firmware from the 2013 folder dated 1/1/13. I followed all of the instructions (which were excellent) to create the client and the additional router is working when I used a wired connection.

I then go to step two to create the virtual access point using the link that shows pictures as to make sure I follow the setup to the letter. I've tried this twice and both times I get to the end and follow the last step of clicking apply settings and not only does the access point feature not work, the wired connection stops working too.

I'm not sure what is causing this. According to the instructions if there is something in the MAC area in the upper right corner other than 0.0.0.0 then it should be working as that is proof that I'm receiving info from the main router. I do in fact have something other than 0's in there but there is no wired internet and the wireless name that I created for the repeated signal doesn't even show in my list of available connections. When I go back in and delete the VAP that I created and apply the settings, the wired connection starts to work again with no issues. I don't understand what could be disabling the internet completely when creating the VAP and any insight would be very appreciated.
beamer7296
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed the steps outlined below, but encountered a problem after step 6. The flash in step 3 went great. After the 30/30/30 reset in step 4 I was able to get to the web console without any problem so I continued to step 5. In the dd-wrt console I was informed that the firmware update was successful and that it was rebooting. The console hung so I left it alone for approximately 5 minutes as to not disrupt anything during the update/reboot process as that could brick the device. I performed the final 30/30/30 reset. When the device came back, I'm able to connect to the internet through it, but I am no longer able to get to the web console via 192.168.1.1. When I do an ipconfig my default gateway is now 76.92.xxx.x. I tried to access the console from there, but still didn't have any luck. Any thoughts?

Here were my steps:
1) download both files
2) 30/30/30 reset
3) flash the factory-to-ddwrt file
4) 30/30/30 reset
5) flash the -webflash file
6) 30/30/30 reset
7) setup and enjoy

Below is the link to the bin files I used.
ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2013/04-15-2013-r21286/rosewill-rnx-n150rt/
beamer7296
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did eventually get this working after a few factory resets. Since the initial setup I've had two issues. 1) Wireless clients occassionally drop the connection. Is this the byproduct of a cheap router or my version (21286) of firmware? Is there anything I can do to mitigate this? Perhaps creating a cron job to do a restart nightly might help. 2) My xbox is no longer able to connect to my PC when connected to the client bridge. It's still unclear to me what the underlying issue might be, but I'll have to dig a little deeper to see what I can find.
Shryp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have noticed (and other people in the build threads) on mine the wifi doesn't work on some devices if it is set to N only and works just fine when set to mixed N-G. (Yes the devices are N capable.) This has been with a few of the newest builds.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: