Network Newbie Needing advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Kilted_1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:37    Post subject: Network Newbie Needing advice Reply with quote
Hi all,
I have a question regarding connecting a Linksys WRT610N, running dd-wrt v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mega (SVN revision 14929) to a Linksys N900 (EA4500), which is running the default Linksys firmware as of yet due to it being new and under warranty. I am a total network newbie in respect to doing this, but do not want to have to purchase a wireless repeater and deal with the slowdowns that might cause (I have been told it would limit my speeds).

My question is this: Is it ossible to connect them wirelessly via the 5 Ghz radios while allowing those whom connect to the 2.4 Ghz radio of the 610N to access the internet connected through the N900 (EA4500)? Hope this is clear.

I've looked through much of the wiki, but it seems that both routers connected seem to run dd-wrt to do this, and as stated earlier, I do not wish to flash dd-wrt to the new router until my warranty expires.

Much thanks for any and all help you might be able to render.
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
First off you can't flash the EA4500 with dd-wrt, its not supported, so the references of it being a new router and you don't want to flash dd-wrt to it can go out the window.

Second off, yes - you can link the units via 5Ghz radio link and do exactly what you are talking about. The EA4500 will have to be the main AP and the wrt610n be the repeater bridge. Info is in my signature under linking routers. Sounds like you will want repeater bridge for this.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Kilted_1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Buddee,
Thanks for the info. I'll check the links in your sig and follow the instructions as stated. Appreciate the quick response m8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: