WDS extreme slow TX/RX Rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Meanybucket
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank You jeffj ! I would never thought that to use WDS on newer builds that you would NOT use the WDS section of the firmware. Ha. Using your settings in this thread I have WDS working great. I posted the 1M TX/RX transfer rate problem in multiple threads on the newer firmware releases with no response. Thanks again for posting back your results. That really helps!
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Meanybucket wrote:
Thank You jeffj ! I would never thought that to use WDS on newer builds that you would NOT use the WDS section of the firmware. Ha. Using your settings in this thread I have WDS working great. I posted the 1M TX/RX transfer rate problem in multiple threads on the newer firmware releases with no response. Thanks again for posting back your results. That really helps!
glad it helped. A lot more helpful then "wiki: atheros wds" that some one likes to post often Wink
Meanybucket
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
A lot more helpful then "wiki: atheros wds" that some one likes to post often

No Kiddin' Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
im using wr841 v5 as main ruter and smc as secont and my tx is 1m but my rx is good about 54m i try evetyng here but nothing works of couse my smc dont have´dd-wrt any idea?
Meanybucket
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe you would need to have DD-Wrt on both routers. You might try an older version such as r20119. It seemed to use the actual WDS page to set the mac of the other router. I Never tried it without DD-WRT on both routers...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey man u my hero i try it that version 20119 and gess what it work like a charm looks like i will not update my dd-wrt version no more thanks to u man! Very Happy Laughing Laughing
carmagta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 16:05    Post subject: I have found solution! Reply with quote
I have been busting with this almost an entire day.

I'm using two TP-Link MR3220 v1.2 150Mbit/s routers. Both have same DD-WRT r21061.

First I was stuck with getting DD-WRT on to TP-Link (error 18005) then with WDS 1M/1M TX/RX. Then I've got stuck with 11M/65M TX/RX and no solution:!:

Previous config versions from the Internet or forums didnt work for me (or I must have done something wrong).

Now I have 65M/65M TX/RX and WDS is working. I need WDS only for IPTV. Very Happy

Router 1 (lets call it WRT1-Red)
Setup-BasicSetup
Assign Static IP and write it on top of the router (else you will forget it). Disable DHCP Server.
.. WAN Connection Type - Disabled
.. Router name - WRT1
.. STP - Enabled
.. Local IP - 192.168.1.25
.. Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
.. DHCP Server - Disabled
Setup-Advanced
.. Operating Mode - Gateway
Security-Firewall
I disabled the SPI Firewall.
Wireless-Basic Settings
.. mode - WDS AP
.. Network Mode - Mixed
.. Width - Dynamic 20/40
.. Channel - 11
.. Extension channel - lower
.. SSID Broadcast - Enabled
.. TX Power - 17dBm (that should be 50mW, 20dBm is 100mW)
.. Protection Mode - RTS/DTS
.. RTS Threshold - Enabled and 2346
.. Short Preamble - Disabled
.. AP Isolation - Disabled
.. ACK Timing - 0
.. MTiK compat. - Disabled
Wireless-Security
.. WPA2 Personal
.. AES
.. Password has to be the same in both routers.
Wireless-WDS
.. "Disable" "WRT2 MAC ADDRESS" "WRT2"
.. Lazy WDS - Disable
.. WDS Subnet - Disable
Administration-Keep Alive
WDS Watchdog
.. Watchdog Enabled
.. Interval - 1000 seconds
.. IP Address - 192.168.1.26(WRT2 IP)
Status-Wireless
There you should see:
.. MAC Address (Your router 1 Wireless MAC, that goes to router 2 WDS devices list)
.. Mode - WDS AP
.. Network - Mixed
.. SSID - IPTV (or something else you chose)
.. Channel ... and so on.
.. Rate - 150Mb/s
.. ACK Timing - 0
After configuring both routers, you should see second router as a Client under "Wireless Nodes".

Router 2 (lets call it WRT2-Green)
Setup-BasicSetup
Assign Static IP, Disable DHCP Server.
.. WAN Connection Type - Disabled
.. Router name - WRT2
.. STP - Enabled
.. Local IP - 192.168.1.26
.. Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
.. DHCP Server - Disabled
Setup-Advanced
.. Operating Mode - Gateway
Security-Firewall
I disabled the SPI Firewall.
Wireless-Basic Settings
.. mode - WDS Station
.. Network Mode - Mixed
.. Width - Dynamic 20/40
.. TX Power - 17dBm
.. Short Preamble - Disabled
.. AP Isolation - Disabled
.. ACK Timing - 0
.. MTiK compat. - Disabled
Wireless-Security
.. WPA2 Personal
.. AES
.. Password has to be the same in both routers.
Wireless-WDS
.. "LAN" "WRT1 MAC ADDRESS" "WRT1" (Only add the Wireless MAC)
.. Lazy WDS - Disable
.. WDS Subnet - Disable
Administration-Keep Alive
WDS Watchdog
.. Watchdog Enabled
.. Interval - 1000 seconds
.. IP Address - 192.168.1.25 (WRT1 IP)
Status-Wireless
There you should see:
.. MAC Address (Your router 1 Wireless MAC, that goes to router 2 WDS devices list)
.. Mode - WDS AP
.. Network - Mixed
.. SSID - IPTV (or something else you chose)
.. Channel - Unknown
.. Rate - Disabled
.. ACK Timing - 0
After configuring both routers, you should see the other router as a Access Point under "Wireless Nodes".

On the attachments you can see Green/WRT2 and Red/WRT1 bandwidhtd. Bandwidth is coming from Motorola TV box. I'm connected to the router with cable not wirelessly. If I connected through the wireless, then TV was continuously and shortly jammed/paused.

NB!
    It should be only for IPTV connection. Do not use this Wireless link for yourself/internet. You can connect to the routers by IP address and check the bandwidth under the status.

WDS should be up in less than a minute. For me it took 15 to 45 seconds.

No cables to the WAN socket, only LAN.

Last edited by carmagta on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:58; edited 3 times in total
dani_cord
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you add some screenshots with the settings? Thanks!
y2kbug
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks every sharing in this thread!

I have a 1043ND in the living room connecting WAN.
Recently I have installed a LED in my bedroom, connecting to PS3 and watch video from PLEX media server which is connected in the main 1043ND.
As PS3 does not support wireless-n, sometimes the playing is lagging.
I have bought another 1043ND, want to get the wireless-n signal and output to PS3 via cable.
I have tried client-bridge mode, the Internet connection is fine (visiting the Internet and the network speed is normal.
However, PS3 cannot find the PLEX server.
As refer to the documentation, the devices should be within a same sub-network mask, and should be visible to each another.
However, after some research, I've found client-bridge mode is not a "very transparent NAT" mode... my goodness!

After that I have been trying the WDS mode.
However, I've got the 1Mb TX/RX issue as well.
(It is even worse than using wireless-g in PS3!!!)
What finally solve my problem is this:

Main router:
Wireless-Basic
- Mode: WDS-AP
Wireless-WDS
- Disabled, Mac-Address-of-the-second-router

Secondary router:
Wireless-Basic:
- Mode: WDS-Station
- LAN, Mac-Address-of-the-main-router

P.S.
Before finding the fix, I was trying everything.
I've found that setting the main router to be WDS-AP and the secondary router to be WDS-Station, the secondary router won't be able to reach the main router. I have to set both router to be WDS-AP mode so as to connect them into a WDS. And I'd see there are two wifi network using wifi scanner. Strange...

Thanks everyone again!
Lichking
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
jeffj wrote:

here are my settigns for users who need it, this allows for ap hopping across the property.

Basically master is WDS AP the WDS station is set up as WDS Station, then i created a virtual wifi AP and set it to WDS AP with the same ssid and encription as the master WDS AP and now it allows wireless hoping to the unit and of course the wired ports also work.

as for the wan on the station it is disabled, STP is enabled on both units and dhcp server is off on the station.

Main gateway:
Radio
Radio is On
Mode
WDS AP
Network
Mixed
SSID
PCS-2.4GHZ
Channel
11 (2462 MHz)
TX Power
20 dBm
Rate
300 Mb/s
ACK Timing
0µs (0m)
Encryption - Interface ath0
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

WDS Station:
Radio (Physical)
Radio is On
Mode
WDS Station
Network
Mixed
SSID
PCS-2.4GHZ
Channel
11 (2462 MHz)
TX Power
20 dBm
Rate
240 Mb/s
ACK Timing
15µs (2250m)
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

Vlan
Radio (Virtual AP)
Radio is On
Mode
WDS AP
Network
Mixed
SSID
PCS-2.4GHZ
Channel
11 (2462 MHz)
TX Power
20 dBm
Rate
144.444 Mb/s
ACK Timing
15µs (2250m)
Encryption - Interface ath0.1
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

thanks again!

Thank you!!!
Yours configs are working great in a network with 8 routers!!
sgniwder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
carmagta - this should be a tutorial for using WDS post-build 20119.
I was able to get this going on my existing Rosewill RNX-N150RT a short time ago. I had been trying to upgrade to 23720, but was unable to because the WDS wouldn't connect correctly. I just bought a N300RT to connect to this and wanted to use the 23720 firmware, so after using these instructions all is working.

One thing I do notice is that before all routers would hold steady on the 150MB/s rate in the status-wireless page. My WDS AP does hold steady, but my 2 WDS Stations speed fluctuates in the status page. I just did it, so I'm not sure if there is any speed difference yet.

sgniwder
liziq
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
jeffj wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:
best results with best performance can only be made with wds ap->wds sta connections. this is the only configuration which allows proper encryption.

by the way. a low rx and tx rate says nothing if no data is transfered. check the rx and tx rate while transfering data

i will have another go at it tonight.

The only time i can get both routers to show in the client list as WDS is when i dont set them as wds ap and wds station but, use the wds mac table instead and set the wifi ap's the same with the same encryption. the issue was the 1M TX/RX. last night when i did a speed test when i hopped to the wds station it was showing that it was in fact only 1M. i will reset and have another kick at the cat.

I will also try to use WDS Ap and WDS Station, however when i do that the ap recognizes the station as a station but the station sees the ap as a client, and it does not work. nor does inssider or wifi analyzer show the station as being part of a wds structure.

EDIT: i grabbed some hardware here in my office to test. I can get WDS AP and WDS Station working even though the station sees the ap as a client. The wired ports on the station work beautifully. however i dont see the stations wifi as a wds station in inssider or wifi analizer. my whole purpose is to create a wds mesh in my house so my devices can hop as they move to the ap with the best signal.

Setting up the wds as a simple system using the WDS mac table instead achieves this, but the speed is 1M Sad so i take it is impossible to achieve what i would liek to do with atheros HW or is this a bug that may be fixed? or is there a work around i can do so the wds stations work as wireless ap's as well so i can set up hops.

Edit 2: i've got it! thank you a lot for the help brain slayer.

here are my settigns for users who need it, this allows for ap hopping across the property.

Basically master is WDS AP the WDS station is set up as WDS Station, then i created a virtual wifi AP and set it to WDS AP with the same ssid and encription as the master WDS AP and now it allows wireless hoping to the unit and of course the wired ports also work.

as for the wan on the station it is disabled, STP is enabled on both units and dhcp server is off on the station.

Main gateway:
Radio
Radio is On
Mode
WDS AP
Network
Mixed
SSID
PCS-2.4GHZ
Channel
11 (2462 MHz)
TX Power
20 dBm
Rate
300 Mb/s
ACK Timing
0µs (0m)
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

WDS Station:
Radio (Physical)
Radio is On
Mode
WDS Station
Network
Mixed
SSID
PCS-2.4GHZ
Channel
11 (2462 MHz)
TX Power
20 dBm
Rate
240 Mb/s
ACK Timing
15µs (2250m)
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

Vlan
Radio (Virtual AP)
Radio is On
Mode
WDS AP
Network
Mixed
SSID
PCS-2.4GHZ
Channel
11 (2462 MHz)
TX Power
20 dBm
Rate
144.444 Mb/s
ACK Timing
15µs (2250m)
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

thanks again!

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!
Almost give up (worked all night for this to work, tried every things, and finally found this thread) Laughing

p.s. At first try, forgot to turn off the ap's wds mac table, took me an hour to figure out what is going on~~~ Embarassed
Mile-Lile
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
here you have some pictures too http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264561
Lusitano
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
jeffj wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:
best results with best performance can only be made with wds ap->wds sta connections. this is the only configuration which allows proper encryption.

by the way. a low rx and tx rate says nothing if no data is transfered. check the rx and tx rate while transfering data

i will have another go at it tonight.

The only time i can get both routers to show in the client list as WDS is when i dont set them as wds ap and wds station but, use the wds mac table instead and set the wifi ap's the same with the same encryption. the issue was the 1M TX/RX. last night when i did a speed test when i hopped to the wds station it was showing that it was in fact only 1M. i will reset and have another kick at the cat.

I will also try to use WDS Ap and WDS Station, however when i do that the ap recognizes the station as a station but the station sees the ap as a client, and it does not work. nor does inssider or wifi analyzer show the station as being part of a wds structure.

EDIT: i grabbed some hardware here in my office to test. I can get WDS AP and WDS Station working even though the station sees the ap as a client. The wired ports on the station work beautifully. however i dont see the stations wifi as a wds station in inssider or wifi analizer. my whole purpose is to create a wds mesh in my house so my devices can hop as they move to the ap with the best signal.

Setting up the wds as a simple system using the WDS mac table instead achieves this, but the speed is 1M Sad so i take it is impossible to achieve what i would liek to do with atheros HW or is this a bug that may be fixed? or is there a work around i can do so the wds stations work as wireless ap's as well so i can set up hops.

Edit 2: i've got it! thank you a lot for the help brain slayer.

Main gateway:
Radio
Radio is On
Mode
WDS AP
Network
Mixed
SSID
PCS-2.4GHZ
Channel
11 (2462 MHz)
TX Power
20 dBm
Rate
300 Mb/s
ACK Timing
0µs (0m)
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

WDS Station:
Radio (Physical)
Radio is On
Mode
WDS Station
Network
Mixed
SSID
PCS-2.4GHZ
Channel
11 (2462 MHz)
TX Power
20 dBm
Rate
240 Mb/s
ACK Timing
15µs (2250m)
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

Vlan
Radio (Virtual AP)
Radio is On
Mode
WDS AP
Network
Mixed
SSID
PCS-2.4GHZ
Channel
11 (2462 MHz)
TX Power
20 dBm
Rate
144.444 Mb/s
ACK Timing
15µs (2250m)
Enabled, WPA2 Personal

thanks again!
Hi there, thx for this, some doubts.. the ssid names of wds-ap and wds-station and wds-vlan should all be the same ? and channels..
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: