Issue with getting UPnP to work in Repeater Bridge mode

raptor75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 21:03    Post subject: Issue with getting UPnP to work in Repeater Bridge mode Reply with quote
Greetings, folks!

I would really like help with an issue I've been facing since the past week or so. First, a description of my networking setup...

1. I have two wireless routers in my home.
2. The primary access point is an old but very functional Linksys WRT54G v7.00.6, (circa Mar. 7, 2007, running its stock firmware.) I have a desktop computer connected to an Ethernet port of this wireless router, and this router is in turn connected to an ADSL modem for Internet connectivity. This router has DHCP running on it, and is the gateway for all Internet capable devices in the house.
3. Because of the unconventional layout of my home, and the fact that the phone line for the DSL box cannot be moved to any other room, I was forced to get a second router and configure it as a wireless repeater bridge to enable wireless devices to access the Internet from other rooms that previously had no wifi signal access.
4. This second router is a TP-Link TL-WR740N v4 that I flashed with DD-WRT (firmware DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12) std - build 18777). The repeater bridge functionality is running perfectly--I have implemented it using the instructions here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

And now for the issue I'm facing.

I have been running XBMC as my media center application on my desktop computer for almost a year, and am currently running version 12 (Frodo). XBMC supports streaming of its audio and video files over UPnP.

When I try to access this media server using any WiFi-capable device (iPad, Android phone, laptop etc) that is connected to the PRIMARY wifi router--the Linksys--the client is able to find the media server over UPnP and play files from my media catalog.

However, when a wireless client is connected to the REPEATER/BRIDGE--the TP-Link--it is unable to locate the media server over UPnP.

Interestingly, if I start to stream a movie when the client is connected to the Primary wifi router, and then walk over to the other end of the house causing the client to swith to the Repeater/Bridge, the movie continues playing normally! The issue only appears when I want to initiate playing a movie or song when connected to the TP-Link Repeater/Bridge.

I've done some poking around and have narrowed it down to the fact that the Repeater/Bridge doesn't appear to be receiving SSDP UPnP broadcasts from the Primary wifi router, which is why it is not finding my streaming media server. Is there any special configureation I need to make to the DD-WRT Repeater Bridge to enable it to correctly receive UPnP broadcasts, and subsequently locate and access files on my XBMC media server?

Any help will really be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsor
Alphasee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm facing this exact same dilemma, except with a wndr3700 and an r6300. So frustrating. I at least just got the bridge to work again.
raptor75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
@eibgrad: Reference my initial post--in point two I mentioned that I have a desktop computer connected to the Linksys WRT54G (the primary access point) via standard Ethernet. XBMC is installed on this computer--it is an HTPC I built, which is connected to a 42-inch screen and home theater audio system. So XBMC is on the primary router side of the bridge.

And yes, per the DD-WRT instructions I configured the secondary AP as a 'Repeater Bridge" and not as a "Repeater". And this Repeater Bridge functionality is working perfectly so far as Internet access goes.

Hope this clarifies?
raptor75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:07    Post subject: Guys, any update... Reply with quote
...on my getting uPnP to work in Repeater/Bridge mode?
raptor75
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 14:08    Post subject: Thanks for the response, but still no solution... Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions. As you rightly guessed, my other router (the Linksys WRT54G) is of a hardware version that doesn't support DD-WRT. I've been checking the compatibility listings regularly, but this one is definitely not supported owing to its very low amount of memory.

And yes, I have toyed with the idea of WDS, but even that would only be an option if my entire wireless infrastructure was based on DD-WRT. And yes, I've read that it's known to have issues with certain kinds of encryption standards etc.

I'll keep poking around and will try to find a solution though. Will post it here for the community at large if I do.

Thanks once again for the feedback.
loverz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys.

I have the same problem.

I have 2 lan networks connectec via WIFI bridge.

Internet works fine but UPNP not.

UPNP is active in both dd-wrt routers.

My configuration:

UPNP AV-Server (DNS-320L) -LAN-> WDR4300 (DD-WRT) -WIFI-> WR1043ND (DD-WRT) -LAN-> Fernseher (46PFL3807K/02
daytonatrbo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 20:40    Post subject: Digging up an old thread, similar issue Reply with quote
Hello all,

I have a router running DDWRT as my main router and gateway. I also have a non-DDWRT compliant routing running as only an AP, hardwired to the gateway. The second router is setup correctly for AP use. DHCP is off, connected LAN to LAN, same SSID, same WEP, non-overlapping channel.

I have a PLEX server hardwired to the gateway. When I am on the AP wifi I have full internet, but seemingly no UPnP support. I cannot see the PLEX or its host computer.

If I connect to the gateway radio, I can see the plex but I cannot see the chromecast that is connected to the AP wireless.

Any hints would be much appreciated!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: